• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shires Model AHW Bb Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CSR

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Shires Model AHW Bb Trumpet Reply with quote

I played the AHW model Shires a while ago and loved it. Does anyone out there have one? How is the Shires line as far as consistent sounding and playing horns across models? Currently I am playing an old 72 model Strad and a newer 50th Anniversary Strad model 37. I'm tempted to trade them both in for the Shires.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shires makes great trumpets. I have an AF model Bb -- awesome horn. In terms of consistency, they have tweaked some models over the years, so an older AHW might not play exactly like a new one does.

For example, I owned an older Shires 4F C trumpet. It had a different leadpipe than the 4Fs made today. I believe that the Shires Destinos made today have a different leadpipe and tuning slide than the original Shires Destinos.

Good luck!
CSR

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Dayton for the reply!
romajore

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a Shires AHW as my primary horn for about a year. I like it, though it is turning out to be heavier than I want going forward(about to turn 65). For me, it plays open and has an easier upper range than many horns. I use in in a community band and a swing band. Blends with other horns. Good core sound and projection.

I’ve seen and played a number of Shires models at several shops. They are quality instruments and each of the models do play differently, as intended.
CSR

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks romajore for the reply. I've played a couple of them for a few minutes and really liked the AHW...I need to play it again to be sure, but I think it's going be the replacement for one of my Strads...
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your interest in our horns! Yes, the AHW is a pretty heavy instrument -- it may be the heaviest horn in our lineup, but it is well balanced and versatile. That being said, we have MANY more models of Bb's, and if we don't have one in our "standard" line that fits your needs exactly, we can make or fine-tune anything you can dream up.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Best,
Kenny
CSR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Kenny, I am looking to purchase one in the near future. Do you know of any shops that Demo your horns?
SAdoc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Shires AHW Reply with quote

I played a ton of horns at the ITG conference this year.

I played a bunch of Shires models, both at the Shires room and at the vender booths I really wanted to love the Destino, but it felt a little too tight for me.
I kept getting drawn back to the A/AHW/AZ models ( I played almost all the Shires Bbs) and a Ken Larson model based on a 72/43 combo.
I loved the blow and sound of the AHW , but also the A and AZ. After comparing those 3 multiple times and getting some friends to listen to me, I ended up buying the A model.
I tend to play pretty dark, and the A was just a little brighter than AHW. I thought it would be more versatile for me. I probably would have bought an AHW if there wasn’t a model A to compare .i could have lived with any of my final choices.

I think I played 3 As and at least 2 AHWs, and the same models seemed very consistent. The fit/finish on every Shires I tried was flawless,and I don’t think I’ve felt better valves on any horn ever. I bet I tried horns from nearly every manufacturer and custom maker at the show, and I don’t think found a horn that I thought was built better.

The big thing I noticed on the Shires horn I bought was how every note feels the same. I can play softer than on my Bach LR37 or Olds Recording without the sound breaking up, but it doesn’t close up when playing loud or high. The blow is slightly more open than my Bach. There seems to be more core to the sound, which surprised me. There were several things I didn’t like about my Bach, but it always had a good sound.

I was impressed with all the Shires horns.
They’re definitely doing something right.
CSR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SAdoc,
The dealer location I have to go to is several hours away and I only tried them once....(though everything you said is similar to what I thought) So, I need a little more time under the hood before I'll be comfortable in laying down that much money.
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CSR wrote:
Thank You Kenny, I am looking to purchase one in the near future. Do you know of any shops that Demo your horns?

Hi CSR -- sorry it has taken so long to check back here. Things are a little behind at the shop since the move, so I'm doing the forum stuff on my own time. Trumpets are still on schedule, but we're (quickly) catching up with our trombone orders.

ANYWAY ---

Let me know where you are located, and I can see what dealers are near you that may be able to get some more horns for you to try. You are always welcome at the shop for a fitting and to get a tour of our new building!
CSR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Kenny. I am located in Maryville Tn. 37801.
Kenny@Shires

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Music Doctors is closest to you...

Music Doctors

2465 Memorial Boulevard
Kingsport, TN 37664
phone: 423.246.6220
email: info@musicdrs.com
CSR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You Kenny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: