• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best "buzz aid" type product

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Best "buzz aid" type product Reply with quote

So, I'm going to be traveling a bit in the near future, and can't totally take a break for all the time, so I'm considering options to keep a baseline maintenance practice routine going so that it doesn't take too long to get back into playing form when I get back home. But, I'd really rather leave the trumpet at home, and just do some mouthpiece exercises.

This brings me to my question - devices like the Stomvi UpSound or the Warburton Buzzard aim to allow mouthpiece practice to feel much like actually playing the instrument, which sounds great. But how close are they actually? For people who've tried devices like this, are they actually a meaningful improvement on just buzzing with a BERP?
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve tried everything and made a few...
By far the best is a shhhhhhh mute with a rubber grommet (top valve cap rubber washer) glued to the small end. Works great, quiet, and no ill effects when used a lot
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Steve,
is it because you can't bring the horn with you ? if it's only a questio of noise, maybe practice everything in whisper tones, it's very good for chops, aperture, coordination etc.

Otherwise, i have a berp, but saw months ago this tool that can be use not only as a practice mute, but also with the mpc insered. I didn't try nor buy it.
https://www.thomann.de/fr/vhizzper_warm_up_mute_trp._classic.htm?ref=prod_rel_425598_4

best
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL - wow, that's really interesting. Thanks! I'd never heard of that before. It's not really sound that I'm concerned about (although that counts, too), but more space while traveling. I can easily pop a mouthpiece in my bag, but a trumpet makes things more complicated, especially with flights. Of course, it can be done, but I'm trying to weigh my options.
USCGRick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who travels almost every week I can tell you my experience. I love the warburton buzzard. I can pop it along with my mouthpiece in my carryon bag. It gives enough resistance and certainly is compact. I buzz each day for a half hour or so in the hotel room. The biggest thing I notice is when I return home to my horn I haven’t lost any time with regard to my playing ability. It’s not music but it keeps you in check until you get home. I don’t feel like I have to catch up.

Harrelson Bb VPS Summit One
Harrelson C VPS Summit
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Carol mini Bb matched with small practice mute (if needed ) for me is the best and smallest oppion if you want to keep your chops on good working condition.
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think about this:
https://sandovalves.com
and a good tuner app on your smartphone. Obviously a pocket trumpet would be better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: