• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 1-1/2B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Bach 1-1/2B Reply with quote

Is it just me, or does this mouthpiece just not get a lot of love?

A buddy of mine got one of these and the throat had been opened to something like a 22. He had me try it and it played okay, but the rim and cup were quite manageable. I was surprised by it because a Bach 1B I tried previously had the most ridiculously uncomfortable rim I had ever played (this and I'd heard this lack of comfort generalized across all the 'B' rims).

Fast forward a couple months and my friend had Matt Frost open the backbore to his MTV, and now this thing just sings. I can play up and down my whole range with no problem, and with a clear, resonant sound.

Yet, it seems a 1C or 1-1/2C gets all the love. So I'm curious - is there some reason the 1-1/2B doesn't get played as often. It seems it would be just as easy to do a 24/24 mod on one of these as on any other model.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
treymeansthree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a Bach 1-1/2 B for about 15 years now. I pulled it off my trumpet teacher’s shelf to try one day during my freshman year and never gave it back! I have tried so many mouthpieces that were supposed to be “better” but I never left this one.

Bb - Warburton 434-ML
Picc - Yamaha 6810S
Flugel - Yamaha 631
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bach 1-1/2B Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:

A buddy of mine got one of these and the throat had been opened to something like a 22. He had me try it and it played okay, but the rim and cup were quite manageable. I was surprised by it because a Bach 1B I tried previously had the most ridiculously uncomfortable rim I had ever played (this and I'd heard this lack of comfort generalized across all the 'B' rims).

Fast forward a couple months and my friend had Matt Frost open the backbore to his MTV, and now this thing just sings. I can play up and down my whole range with no problem, and with a clear, resonant sound.

Yet, it seems a 1C or 1-1/2C gets all the love. So I'm curious - is there some reason the 1-1/2B doesn't get played as often. It seems it would be just as easy to do a 24/24 mod on one of these as on any other model.

I used a 1 1/4 for B flat cornet 70ties up to mid nineties. During long periods I used the 1 1/2 playing E flat cornet and always thought the latter was too shallow for Bflat legit work. Still does but since I found the TH I’ve learned that there are inumerable combinations of man and mouthpieces. So keep loving your 1 1/2!!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
I used a 1 1/4 for B flat cornet 70ties up to mid nineties. During long periods I used the 1 1/2 playing E flat cornet and always thought the latter was too shallow for Bflat legit work. Still does but since I found the TH I’ve learned that there are inumerable combinations of man and mouthpieces. So keep loving your 1 1/2!!

Out of curiosity, which 1-1/2 did you use? 1-1/2B or 1-1/2C?

Last night I tested a late 60s 1-1/4C that was opened by Osmun to a 24/24 throat/backbore. What a roaring sound, but the mpc was a bit much for me - took too much effort to play which resulted in a bit of a percussive quality.

-Bruce Lee
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Rodney Dangerfield of the mouthpiece world is the Bach 2. I have a 2c and a Kanstul repro MV2, both are great sounding and playing pieces.

Hey, I don't get no respect, either!

Dave
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boog wrote:
Another Rodney Dangerfield of the mouthpiece world is the Bach 2. I have a 2c and a Kanstul repro MV2, both are great sounding and playing pieces.

Hey, I don't get no respect, either!

Dave

Let me guess.

You and your trumpet were happy for 20 years...then you met?

-Bruce Lee
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:

Out of curiosity, which 1-1/2 did you use? 1-1/2B or 1-1/2C?

Last night I tested a late 60s 1-1/4C that was opened by Osmun to a 24/24 throat/backbore. What a roaring sound, but the mpc was a bit much for me - took too much effort to play which resulted in a bit of a percussive quality.

It was a 1 1/2 C! But I forgot to mention it was (is) a Mount Vernon (bought 1970) - may have some implications...
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach 1-1/2B Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:

The 1½B was used a lot where I was playing 20-30 years ago but more often with a C screw rim, and, yes, usually with an enlarged throat and "orchestral" BB.

On C tpt and for non-commercial work on B-flat -- after a modified Bach 1¼C (and 1X) for many years -- I have played a Curry 1½BC (#24/"Schmidt") which is a one-piece version of the Bach B cup and a Bach C rim but have moved to the same piece with a custom (wide/flat) rim. I might sell the stock 1½BC if anyone is interested.

I played a first-generation Megatone 1½B on one particular herald trumpet (I've had four heralds and each one preferred a different mpc).

1½B is a nice playing/feeling mpc with a great tone for many orchestras in many halls.

-Denny
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach 1-1/2B Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
The 1½B was used a lot where I was playing 20-30 years ago but more often with a C screw rim, and, yes, usually with an enlarged throat and "orchestral" BB.

On C tpt and for non-commercial work on B-flat -- after a modified Bach 1¼C (and 1X) for many years -- I have played a Curry 1½BC (#24/"Schmidt") which is a one-piece version of the Bach B cup and a Bach C rim but have moved to the same piece with a custom (wide/flat) rim. I might sell the stock 1½BC if anyone is interested.

I played a first-generation Megatone 1½B on one particular herald trumpet (I've had four heralds and each one preferred a different mpc).

1½B is a nice playing/feeling mpc with a great tone for many orchestras in many halls.

-Denny

I did play a Curry 1BC for over 10 years. I eventually found the backbore not to my liking. I suffer pitch issues on it, as well as the Bach 7 and other narrower designs. I have a 1BC top (FS in the marketplace) that I used screwed to a Bach 24 backbore and it was eye-opening. A very nice combination: great pitch, brilliant sound, quick response, clear articulations.

In the end, the cup diameter proved to be too wide and I found my endurance not satisfactory, which is how I ended up using a 1-1/2 size range.

I was considering buying a 1-1/2BC top but that's on hold while I see how this 1-1/2B works out.

-Bruce Lee
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, have you tried a Parke 285 cup? Something like a 640-285-24 might work well for you. If you like a more rounded rim, try the R2.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
Tom, have you tried a Parke 285 cup? Something like a 640-285-24 might work well for you. If you like a more rounded rim, try the R2.

I haven't tried that one yet. My buddy has a Parke 640 rim he is going to let me try on an old vertical fraction 1-1/2C underpart I have. I'll see how I like it, and if I do I can get a copy from Frost.

Rounded rims just kill me. I tried a Bach 1B years ago, a Corp. 5B recently and a Kanstul Schilke 14 cup with a 15B rim on it. All were the death of my chops after a short time.

I had Frost copy my 1BC rim and scale it the diameter of a 1-1/2C vertical fraction piece (.635") but it's a bit narrow. I'm hoping 640 works.

-Bruce Lee
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
jaysonr wrote:

I haven't tried that one yet. My buddy has a Parke 640 rim he is going to let me try on an old vertical fraction 1-1/2C underpart I have. I'll see how I like it, and if I do I can get a copy from Frost.

Rounded rims just kill me. I tried a Bach 1B years ago, a Corp. 5B recently and a Kanstul Schilke 14 cup with a 15B rim on it. All were the death of my chops after a short time.

I had Frost copy my 1BC rim and scale it the diameter of a 1-1/2C vertical fraction piece (.635") but it's a bit narrow. I'm hoping 640 works.

I haven't tried the Parke R6, but I know they offered it because some thought their stock rim was too wide/flat/sharp, whatever. I like the contour of the regular Parke rim.

It's like a 1X or old NY1 rim, but scaled to different diameters. The 640 is the "1.5" diameter, but because of the shape feels a little more compact on my face than most "1-1/2's". Likewise, all of the cups are a 5B shape, but at different depths. The 285 is the true 5B depth. They also have some designated "V" which has a more open throat entrance, kind of like a double-cup deal. In a shallower cup, it reminds me of a Mt. Vernon 1-1/4C cup.

Hope this helps.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to come back and respond to the OP. I just got my hands on a Laskey 68B. It's a fantastic "1-1/2B"
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
Just to come back and respond to the OP. I just got my hands on a Laskey 68B. It's a fantastic "1-1/2B"

I did try a Laskey 70C once. I didn't care for how it felt on my face, but that was after a hard rehearsal. It may feel different when I'm not worn out; later on I tried a Laskey piccolo mouthpiece model (not the PIC) and the rim wasn't as objectionable.

But, since my last post I tried and ended up buying that Parke 640 rim I mentioned. Someone had cut it off an underpart and given it Reeves threads so I've been using it on my 3B and 1-1/2C underparts. It's quite an eye-opener. I'm actually considering having the 1-1/2B threaded to accept rims, as now that I've relaxed into it more I am finding the undercut a little bit restrictive.

-Bruce Lee
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tpt_Guy"]
jaysonr wrote:
as now that I've relaxed into it more I am finding the undercut a little bit restrictive.

That was my issue w/ the 1-1/2B

Also, the 68 has a different rim than the 70. I didn't care for the 70 or 75, I took to the 68 instantly.
TMT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jaysonr"][quote="Tpt_Guy"][quote="jaysonr"]as now that I've relaxed into it more I am finding the undercut a little bit restrictive.[/quote]

Also, the 68 has a different rim than the 70. I didn't care for the 70 or 75, I took to the 68 instantly.[/quote]

How would you say the 68 rim compares with the 640?
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="TMT"]
jaysonr wrote:
Tpt_Guy wrote:
jaysonr wrote:
as now that I've relaxed into it more I am finding the undercut a little bit restrictive.

Also, the 68 has a different rim than the 70. I didn't care for the 70 or 75, I took to the 68 instantly.

How would you say the 68 rim compares with the 640?

I don't have a 640 here, so going off of memory. Size feel probably about the same...not quite as flat, making the bite further down from the high-point. It's a comfortable feel for me. I really like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: