• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

lips only buzzing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tivolian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: lips only buzzing Reply with quote

I've been starting off morning practices with Poper's and Stamp's lips-only buzzing, before turning to mouthpiece buzzing then full horn. Try as I might, I am unable to get above a second line G with lips only buzzing. I try using more air, coaxing a smaller aperture, force of will, but nothing seems to improve this range. Poper and Stamp seem to suggest that middle C is what one should be shooting for. Does anyone have advice on how to increase range with lips-only buzzing? Or, opinions on whether it's worth it to try? Thanks in advance.
trptcolin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you what's worked for me, but wouldn't claim to know whether it's worth investing time for you. I've personally found lips-only buzzing to be one of the most helpful things lately in getting back in shape, particularly wrt range. I took a long time away from trumpet, and wouldn't claim to have a great high range, but things are working way better than they were before, even when I was serious.

I struggled with lip buzzing as a student, and I think one of the missing pieces that came into focus the past year or two was using an Asper Mouthpiece Visualizer (like a mouthpiece with the cup missing) to get things going. After practicing with that on and off for awhile and expanding upwards (probably on the order of months, but maybe a year?), I found that buzzing with the visualizer up high was easier than it was with the mouthpiece (no break!). And once that was going well, I found that I could lip buzz without the visualizer much easier. So now I'll lip buzz along with the James Thompson Buzzing Book on the way to work, at least the first 5 exercises, which makes me look weird to other drivers but gets me a decent strength session in first thing, without any mouthpiece pressure which was always a problem for me back in the day.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regard free-buzzing (common term for what you're describing) to be a waste of time. When playing your lips have a mouthpiece pushing into them which shapes the lips into a form you can't duplicate without a mouthpiece - the muscles are working against the mouthpiece in place. There's resistance from the mouthpiece and horn, there's acoustic things that happen that aren't present when free-buzzing.

The way the muscles are engaged is different. The buzz you get when doing it bears no resemblance - when playing you're buzzing a small portion of the lips trapped in the mouthpiece with the above factors in place. As far as improving range, what's made the difference for me is focusing on the mechanics of what happens when playing.

Personally I've never found it helpful. Some people swear by the practice, some teachers advocate free-buzzing. To them I shrug and say okay. I hear people insist it helps, with generalized claims as to what it's supposed to do, what I haven't heard is an explanation I find compelling as to why what I've outlined above doesn't matter.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lip buzzing was a playing saver for me, and proves to help almost all my students.

If you have issues with range, don't worry, let nature take its course and the range develop with time and good practice habits. I know it took me over a year to be able to get to a middle G, and years to go much higher.

There are a few things which people need to be aware of, such as not simply forcing more air through the lips, but allowing for tongue movement, speed of air, remaining relaxed and using the exercise for what it is, an isometric exercise.

Another issue can be over practicing of lip buzzing. It uses a lot more muscular effort to do, so I rarely do more than a few minutes at a time. Ever.

cheers

Andy
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of lip buzzing for my own playing although I rarely prescribe it in lessons.

I find it helpful to keep in mind that the lips are still a wind instrument. That doesn't necessarily mean blow more or blow harder. It means the wind needs to go somewhere. I find focusing on this more productive than thinking about vibrating something. Lip buzzing doesn't have to be a tense thing.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can help to watch some of the instructional videos out there -- not only for the instruction but because you can see what muscles to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFpMRKhkuZc&frags=pl%2Cwn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGg_eh9Tw60&t=291s&frags=pl%2Cwn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hHkXA7uMTM&t=31s&frags=pl%2Cwn

Just keep at it and your range will increase.

I had a really bad embouchure and found free buzzing very helpful to get things heading in a better direction. Now that I am on a better track I only occasionally do it.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tivolian, I have the same issue as you and can only get to concert G, maybe Bb on a good day of doing it. However, I find it helpful anyway for getting things moving.

When I really want to go at free buzzing, I just end up using a rim/visualizer that way I can get benefits of free buzzing while keeping my embouchure the same. Both have been helpful to me! But try not to overdo it at first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: