• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

181 37 ML ☺

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: 181 37 ML ☺ Reply with quote

I found a '78 Bach Strad cornet, no crook, in nice shape. N+1 and me agreed that yours truly definitely does not have a brass addiction, did have a landmark birthday plus a Union bonus, and that this was not one to let pass.

Right away it felt like home. Might have been that I have mostly switched to punching my dance card with cornets, and this is newer than any I own. Plus is built so well. But why did playing it feel like stepping in to a familiar room?

Could have been the VB Corp. 1 1/2 C & 7C. Might have been the '78 vintage, the ML bore, or that long ago I got the 180 trumpet version of this 181. The combination of the bell, pistons, & etc. picked me right up where we left off, yet was different enough to feel new.

I like the old Conns, and have been traveling & practicing at work with an Old Ambassador of similar wrap. This instrument? It lifts and carries whatever I give it and is there under me for soft passages and solid pedals like nobody's business.

It behaves so well that I have to give it a little more English to get it to speak, as compared say to the Conn 80A or 5A Victors. It does not zio or bark as quickly but it does cover lots of ground while keeping a sense of center, more anyway than either of those very large bore cornets or the excellent but base model Olds, the A5 that is closest in size and shape..

That's the way I feel it, anyway.

Please do have a say.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are very nice horns. I've played a few, including a 4-digit NY model (which was exceptional), but never owned one. Congrats on the purchase!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the new cornet! I'm sure it's a great horn.

I was looking for a cornet last year, and was searching for a 1970's-era 181 Bach. Instead, I stumbled onto a 4-digit NY model, and purchased it.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, guys. Your own posts and comments about the Strad cornets 'brought me here'.

I remain impressed by how stable this cornet remains in blow and feedback, as I've tried it with many different mouthpieces, Jet-Tone to Wick no-letter and many points in between.

As I hear what you're saying I get the jist. The old hand-made Mt Vernons have 'that sound'. I know how that works with the between-war Conns. Makes sense. That there was the era of the soprano brass, and there was the benefit of exceptional competition between manufacturers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: