• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I don’t get it (Reading)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: I don’t get it (Reading) Reply with quote

I came back 17 years ago, after 20+ years of not playing so I really started at zero. I stumbled around initially and about 10 years ago I made a concerted effort to improve all aspects of my playing. Today I am here:

Tone - Full with a big core
Intonation - I typically play very well in tune
Endurance - Decent, 1.5 to 2 hours
Range - Solid to G/A above High C, have performed Double Cs a few times
Technique - Moderate, could be faster and cleaner
Style - My lead style is mediocre but I am starting to unlock that
Reading - Somewhere between poor and fair

I do not know how to improve my reading. The old “read through a lot of stuff” doesn’t work for me. Why? Because when I am making mistakes with rhythm, I don’t catch that when reading through something. Yes, if I sit with an instructor he will catch that, but that misses the main issue which is recognizing rhythms and playing them correctly on my own.

I did recently get Rich Willey’s Bebop jazz book, and when I download the play along tracks that might help. I have been also working out of a Basie lead book and that seems to help some. However, I am nowhere near where I should be given how long I have been focusing on reading.

My success in range came from never straining but playing a lot of high notes—and that only took 20-30 minutes of my typical 2 hour practice time. I have successfully worked up some challenging tunes by starting slow and making sure I could play the lick correctly 5 times in a row before increasing speed. I would take my time and not play tired. I would also practice counting rests and by the time we’d play the tune I pretty much had it memorized.

I don’t know how to approach reading in a similar way. This was well
illustrated over the last couple days when I blew my opportunity to play with a band in the area where I recently moved. I was asked to cover lead which meant learning 21 of the 23 songs in the set in about a week. There was nothing that was terribly difficult, level 3 and 4 stuff like Blue Skies, Pennsylvania 6-5000, Orange Colored Sky, Corner Pocket, All of Me, etc. I stumbled through the entire set and do not expect to be asked to sub for them again.

For as long as it’s been since I have come back to trumpet I should have been able to read all those tunes down. Now I can play every tune in their book well IF I have a chance to work them up, but there are High School kids who can read all that down and nail it.

So I need to have a new strategy in reading. Any ideas?
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure it's right for you but most of my progress was made in playing with casual big bands that mostly just read. This includes a community college that has a huge library of wicked hard tunes.

Beyond that. I've played a bit of piano. I'm no pro and but I've worked my up to being able to just sit down and read reasonably a wide range of material. Maybe not up to tempo, but I can play most of it. I always start slow and work my up until it's hard to hold tempo then work on my look-ahead skill until I can push the tempo a bit higher.

Ultimately, it's a life-long commitment and I doubt there's a shortcut. Find opportunities to read and take them. Though it's hard, accept that you will be humbled for a good while.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sight reading factory...it’s a neat website
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sight reading is a skill which uses many other skills and requires some very definite knowledge and application.

The most common fault with young players' reading is a lack of pulse. No pulse, no coating, then the rhythm is going to be wrong.

Another is a lack of willingness toward on rhythm. There are some tricky rhythms which need one to work on the rhythm, not the pitches. tonguing a passage on one pitch can do wonders for getting a rhythm in a piece correct. So an clapping. So can counting to a recording, or better yet, conducting. (Do you know how hard it is for a kid to conduct the 3/4 sections of the Blue Danube? They find it impossible to go 1,2,3 over and over...) Most of the problems here still go back to not counting.

Another thing to work on is counting...

You may get my drift!

cheers

Andy
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try transcribing or composing music. It will force you to "figure out" rhythms. Compose using a computer program that will play the music back to you, so you can hear if you wrote the rhythms down correctly. Software options for free or cheap:

Noteflight website

Finale Notepad software
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Peter Bond's comments in this thread.

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71402&highlight=reading

Matt
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I don’t get it (Reading) Reply with quote

INTJ wrote:
Technique - Moderate, could be faster and cleaner

If this part of your inventory of skills is an accurate assessment I believe while not all of it this is at least a fair part of it. Do you find things you stumble on when reading you also stumble on after working on it a bit? If you can't do something in the practice room, you sure aren't going to pull it off when sight-reading.

A lot of work on things in different keys different rhythms will surely help. You're not just training your body, you're also training your brain.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I don’t get it (Reading) Reply with quote

INTJ wrote:

I do not know how to improve my reading. The old “read through a lot of stuff” doesn’t work for me. Why? Because when I am making mistakes with rhythm, I don’t catch that when reading through something. Yes, if I sit with an instructor he will catch that, but that misses the main issue which is recognizing rhythms and playing them correctly on my own.

Turn on a metronome... Then you'll know when you miss something
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.

The metronome is always on when I practice reading. I am thinking play alongs is going to be my best solution. That way I can hear what I am seeing. I don’t even have to play along, I can sing along and get 90% of the benefit. In fact, if I sing along use the “1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8” method—as was discussed in one of the links posted here—I can work on more than just rythm.

I also need to focus on pattern proficiency. I need to recognize them more quickly. I think I now have a new plan......
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
mcnairg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also recommend the Sightreading Factory website. The computer generates new music in six degrees of difficulty in all keys. It's available for all devices. You can read new music every day, all day. You can play along with the score, which is really helpful. It has a built in metronome, and you can vary the speed of what you play. Like everything else about trumpet, sight reading only improves with practice and this is the easiest and most efficient means I've come across. I try to practice at least 100 measures of new music every day and I've definitely gotten better. I'm reading pretty well at level five after about six weeks.
tim_wolf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
Try transcribing or composing music. It will force you to "figure out" rhythms. Compose using a computer program that will play the music back to you, so you can hear if you wrote the rhythms down correctly. Software options for free or cheap:

Noteflight website

Finale Notepad software

I second the idea of transcribing music. I did this a lot when I was still very young, and I credit this with always being a good sight reader. Still, it's a skill that needs to be done a lot. Today I'm not quite as good at sight reading because I really never have to do it anymore (at least in a jazz setting).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two aspects I didn't see mentioned and they may answer your need to find concepts that apply across the board. There's nothin wrong with the "just do it" process but it doesn't use basic concepts. (Implied but not obvious.)

Find rhythic units that are most common and that you will find most often.
There are two sources that I found initially helpful. Lennie Niehaus's Basic/Intermediate/Advanced Jazz Conception etudes. They are for sax but if I understand your level from the posts, you've got the chops. The good thing is that they are basically etude studies in that they use similiar rhythmic licks repeatedly in etude method.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_7?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=lennie+niehaus+jazz+conception+for+saxophone&sprefix=lennie+%2Cstripbooks%2C206&crid=10BRDIBJTFJF8

There are also jazz, funk and rock patterns that are in Bob Mintzner's etude books.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=bob+minzer+jazz+eyudes&rh=n%3A283155%2Ck%3Abob+minzer+jazz+eyudes

Look at transcriptions and find patterns that are oft repeated and use these fragments also as patterns for practice.

Another concept deals with melody. Learn your scales. If I see a run from C to C, and with an Ab,Bb, Db, Eb in it, I don't play/think C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab etc, I see a scalurar run from C to C in Ab. In other words, seeing one thing (a scalural run in Ab) instead of eight things (individual notes).

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim_wolf wrote:
I second the idea of transcribing music. I did this a lot when I was still very young, and I credit this with always being a good sight reader. Still, it's a skill that needs to be done a lot. Today I'm not quite as good at sight reading because I really never have to do it anymore (at least in a jazz setting).

4 years into a comeback after a 14 year layout, I find reading to be the greatest challenge. Many of the situations that I play in now require a few read thrus at most and then public performance followed by a total change of material and then another performance. That, like nothing else, keeps my reading skills under constant challenge. I try to read something new daily, even if it is just a preview of tomorrow's practice session. That keeps my practice sessions fresh as well as stretching my sightreading skills a bit. And I practice with a METRONOME, the key to accuracy at least for me!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those dots on the page represent sounds. Sing them-play them-sing them-play them. Repeat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: