• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

C trumpet mpc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: C trumpet mpc Reply with quote

For any one you that own a Bach 25A/239 C trumpet. What mouthpiece do you use on it? Curious if people mostly use stock mpcs or opened up mpcs on it. Articulation/intonation are good on the stock 1.5c that I use on it but the tone could be better. Have tried a 25 throat(bad) and a 24/24 that was ok(sound was better but lost clarity in articulation)
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C trumpet originally was a 239/25A setup. The sound had decent focus, but I didn't like the pitch and need of false fingerings, despite them supposedly being "normal." I was using a Curry 1BC for a while and it had great sound and good focus. It improved when I had the leadpipe swapped with one of Dick Akright's Bel Canto Bb pipes in a reverse configuration.

You may try Curry. A stock Curry 1.5BC has a 24 throat and his Schmidt-style #2 backbore, which to me feels and looks a lot like a Bach 7, also a Schmidt-style backbore. The Curry #2 seems a bit more open than the Bach 7, but not nearly like a Bach 24.

The reason I didn't just straight up recommend a Bach 1.5B is because, while it has the #7 backbore stock, the cup is considerably deeper than a 1.5C which can get uncomfortable quickly if you're not up for it.

And to answer your initial question, none of my mouthpieces is unmodified or stock. On C I usually use a Kanstul copy of a Schilke 14 top on either a Bach 117 or 24 backbore, 24 throat. Another I've been testing is an unbranded 1.5C that has been drilled out to about a 23 throat - it has a cup profile and rim an awful lot like a Mt. Vernon 1.5C and a very open backbore that looks a lot like the backbore on a Mt. Vernon 3 in my collection. The pitch, projection and resonance are ridiculous.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry 3C - 25 throat, and occassionally a Curry 3BC
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Blue Trane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-1/2C 25 7
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: C trumpet mpc Reply with quote

Betelgeuse215 wrote:
For any one you that own a Bach 25A/239 C trumpet. What mouthpiece do you use on it? Curious if people mostly use stock mpcs or opened up mpcs on it. Articulation/intonation are good on the stock 1.5c that I use on it but the tone could be better. Have tried a 25 throat(bad) and a 24/24 that was ok(sound was better but lost clarity in articulation)

Since you have a very standard mouthpiece size, and a very standard C trumpet, it should be a matter of simply matching the right piece to the right horn. Simple....right! I'd honestly look at Curry, starting witht a 1.5BC, for the reasons already mentioned. This assumes you are looking orchestral for your C trumpet playing. If solo or church work is your goal, a 1.5C Curry will perhaps be a better fit.

The man that I knew that played this combination did it with a pretty much stock 1C, and it worked out OK for him.

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
stephensontrumpet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever feels and sounds best to you.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also say try a Curry 1.5BC.
Another option is a Curry 1.5C with your preferred throat and his #2 backbore or his #0 backbore (which is a 117 style).
I once had a Curry 1.5C with a 23 throat and #0 backbore that was made to mimick Michael Sach's setup, and it's one mouthpiece I still kick myself for selling (I was chasing magic, you know how that is).

Also, you might like the Stork C backbore. Maybe a setup like a 2C+25C or 2B+25C would be to your liking (the 2B+25C is what Tom Rofs plays).
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a ML 239/25C setup, and after a lot of experimenting with other cups, throat sizes, and backbores, I find that mine plays best with the same Curry 3C. I use in my Bb trumpet. A Curry 3B. comes in a close second, but the intonation on some notes is not quite as good with it.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bach 239/25A L Stradivarius is my absolute favorite trumpet. I use mainly a Stork Vacchiano 4C26B. It gets a clear, powerful, colorful sound. My favorite setup and ideal sound for sure. I also use a Stork Vacchiano 4D26B to help with a lighter sound or higher tessitura, typically for chamber music. I plan on trying a 4C+26B whenever I get around to purchasing it.

A GR 65VC is also great, but definitely a different sound than what you get from a Bach mouthpiece. It's a less "present" or projecting sound without help from room acoustics, it's hard to describe. If the sound from Bach and Stork mouthpieces could be described as "dah" then the GR would be a kind of throaty, almost muffled maybe "doh". I use it for solo or chamber music when not playing with other trumpets.

I have a Curry 5BC but I get a somewhat fuzzy or airy sound due to it's large throat and/or backbore. With acoustic help it sounds fantastic but the fuzz is a pet peeve of mine. I also have a Curry 5C but I only use it for "commercial" gigs on an alternate C trumpet.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68

Last edited by O00Joe on Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have this quandary, until I had someone turn me onto this.

http://www.brasswerks.com/id35.htm

The so-called "Reese Piece", which is a shorter-shank mouthpiece, actually made by Curry (you can see it in the blank) but sold by Ken Larson.
AveryCyrus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The convention nowadays is towards pieces with moderate throats and big backbores but a large throat (22 or thereabouts) and smaller backbore (75) is sort of the line of thinking that Scott Laskey subscribes to
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Trumpet World!

Just to clarify, the Laskey 75 backbore may be a bit more focused than a standard 24 backbore, but it's still an orchestral backbore. He describes it as a larger version of the Bach schmidt backbore. He originally made this for Herseth.

That's all I have to say about that!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave CCM/SSO wrote:
Hello Trumpet World!

Just to clarify, the Laskey 75 backbore may be a bit more focused than a standard 24 backbore, but it's still an orchestral backbore. He describes it as a larger version of the Bach schmidt backbore. He originally made this for Herseth.

That's all I have to say about that!

Dave

A bit more about it...

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1501804

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternative (with my tongue firmly planted in cheek) is to keep your mouthpiece and do lots of practice, but on a different C trumpet. There's lots out there which are not a Bach... it may just work out!

cheers

Andy
plunkett
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents... I use a Monette B4S on both Bb and C trumpets. My C is a Kanstul.

Pat
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally figured it out. Just needed to find a different 1.5C 24/24!
SJMass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found that any mouthpiece you like on B-flat opened up a bit is good on c. thats just me though.
chrisroberts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly the same as on Bb.
Justin_Smith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I use the same mouthpiece as on my Bb, with a more open throat. My Bb mp has a 26 throat, and my C trumpet mp has a 22 throat. Both mouthpieces have a pretty open backbore.

If I am playing something that tends to be a bigger blow in terms of range and endurance, I use the smaller throat (Bb mp), for example I recently played Michaels Torke "Bright Blue Music" where 85% of my part was above the staff.

I would say you should try a Bach 1 1/2 24/24 mouthpiece now they are more easily available with the new symphonic series.

Justin Smith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: