• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When to say bye bye to your mouthpiece.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willieplas

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: When to say bye bye to your mouthpiece. Reply with quote

Curious....

At what point did you decide to quit your mouthpiece?

And why?

I feel like I have outgrown mine.

Dreading the thought of mouthpiece searching.
Insensato
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ONLY select mouthpieces based on three criteria, listed in no particular order--

-Comfort on my lips
-Relative ease of playing
-Appropriate and reasonable sound production on the trumpet

I don't often subscribe to the idea of "outgrowing" a mouthpiece, unless your lips have literally grown larger, changing the feeling of comfort that you have on your current setup.

I will say though that if specific demands come up that necessitate additional equipment, I've found new mouthpieces that way. I normally play a 1 1/4 B cup equivalent mouthpiece, but when I started playing a bunch of top 40 reception band gigs, I went to a local brass shop during a used mouthpiece clearance sale, found several mouthpieces that seemed like they would work, and purchased the one that made all of the EWF band and Stevie Wonder horn lines feel the easiest.

Last edited by Insensato on Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you find one that you get better results from. I played a Jet-Tone T1A for years, mostly because when I ran across it by random happenstance it was the most comfortable mouthpiece I'd ever tried. I hadn't liked other Jet-Tones I'd tried.

The mechanics of my playing has changed since then, I'm much more aware of elements of the nuts and bolts of what happens when I play. I tried a Schilke 14A4A which I liked better, then I tried a Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead which I really liked. I'm still up in the air whether I like the Schilke or the Yamaha better. I probably wouldn't have liked either the Schilke or the Yamaha at the time I first tried the T1A. Now when I try the T1A I feel very restricted by it.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
deanoaks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switch mouthpieces when I find something that I enjoy more than what I'm currently using. I've added to my arsenal of mouthpieces quite a bit if I see a situation that the piece would be appropriate. For example, I just bought a Denis Wick S mouthpiece not too long ago for my piccolo trumpet because I was doing more Bach gigs in very small churches with incredibly small orchestras and I was getting too much flack using a more traditional mouthpiece. Or this Monette 1-4/2S3 that I added to my arsenal because I needed something for trumpet ensemble or pops concert situations that are a bit more bombastic without working too hard with a massive cup.
If you feel that you're unhappy with the setup you have, go searching until you find something that meets all your criteria. Whatever that criteria may be. The trick is to not fall into the trap of buying one of the first things you find. Especially if the company you're buying from doesn't have a return policy....

Equipment is such a personal journey, so it is difficult for anybody to give truly unbiased equipment advice that is actually helpful.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said before, you change when you find one that works better, and not just for a day or so, but long term. I played on a custom Jet-Tone until about 10 years ago, now it's a custom Marcinkiewicz. Before that I used: What came in the case, and what the navy told me to use.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: When to say bye bye to your mouthpiece. Reply with quote

I moved to larger diameter rims as I grew up and my lips grew larger. That's the main thing: get a diameter that fits you. Not too big, not too small. Phyllis Stork has an article about mouthpiece fit on her website that you might find helpful. She helped me a while back, and her guidance was spot-on.

Once you've found the best range of rim diameter for you, then you can look at cup size and shape for the sound you want, bore and backbore for the resistance you want, and rim shape for the comfort, flexibility and response you want.
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: