• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fix Bb or get new?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonchalant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Fix Bb or get new? Reply with quote

I have an 8345 Xeno from 2002 that definitely could use at least a new leadpipe. I've worn through the lacquer and a lot of the brass underneath on contact points, I crunched the bell once, and it is also showing some red rot in the leadpipe. My xeno has seen better days overall and I was wondering what you would do, fix up the ol trusty Bb or get a new one?

I could do some fixing now, but a new horn would have to wait.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you love the horn?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New, or new to you.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had money to burn and I wasn't head over heels for the horn I'd probably go shopping for a new replacement. If I wasn't swimming in dough, assuming the bell can be made cosmetically acceptable I'd probably just swap out the leadpipe and wouldn't bother with the plating wear.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
nonchalant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive played other horns but usually come back to my 8345, I like it more than your average horn but I would not say I love it. I am pretty comfortable on it.

The Bell was fixed long ago, but shows the old crease lines and the lacquer has come off in large sections. I don't think the bell is quite as responsive/resonate as it was before, but it is not truly dull either.

If I decided on a getting a different horn, I would likely start by trying to find something used.

If I changed the leadpipe would change the tuning slide too? And what would you put on it, new Yamaha parts or get Blackburn/MK/Melk?
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years, back, I was in the same situation. My 1974 Bach Strad had tons of wear, needed a valve job, new lead pipe, and a ton of dent work. I went on an extended safari, looking for a new horn. After a couple years, and finding nothing I liked better, I opted to get my '74 Strad refurbished.

One option for you is to start looking. If you find something you like better, then you know what to do. But if you can't find anything better, then maybe get your Yamaha refurbished. That being said, you may be looking at around $1000 to refurbish your horn (assuming you're going to relacquer it, too).

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, if you can possibly afford to keep this horn, keep it! I have beat myself up many times for dumping an old friend. Get another, new or used, and keep this one.

As for condition, a few bell creases and pecks will not affect the sound or playability. "Red Rot', a highly subjective malady, won't either. If the leadpipe doesn't have a hole that leaks water, don't worry about it. Just keep it clean and brushed/swabbed out. You can always get a hole soldered up or patched, and you will never notice the difference in playability or sound.

What I am saying is, if you like the way it plays and sounds, just play it... in the final analysis. it doesn't really matter how it looks.

Besides that, trumpet collecting is a disease, as it is with guitars.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t agree that bell creases will not affect sound or playability. Certainly in some, maybe even many, cases it won’t have much of an affect. However there are cases where it will effect quite a bit.

Some creases will prevent mutes from properly seating, especially Harmon mutes.

Only the OP and hs repair tech can judge OP’s damage’s affects are..

Back in the 70’s I dropped my silver Strad onto concrete shortly before going on a live television show causing some major creases in the bell. I had it repaired and after the repairs the damages were undetectable. Even though there were playability issues with the damage, I didn’t notice any difference in playability after the repairs.

About twenty years later the creases were visible again so Larry Souza fixed them prior to replating the trumpet.

I do agree with keeping the horn. My previous post was short and to the point. To expand on it, if I were you I would look for a used trumpet in good condition
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a new horn, and live with the regret of what might have been. You will always imagine that the old war horse could do everything better. Even if you get it refurbished, it will never be the same as it was. There are resources for situations like this:

https://www.grief.com/
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I don’t agree that bell creases will not affect sound or playability. Certainly in some, maybe even many, cases it won’t have much of an affect. However there are cases where it will effect quite a bit...

...Back in the 70’s I dropped my silver Strad onto concrete shortly before going on a live television show causing some major creases in the bell. I had it repaired and after the repairs the damages were undetectable. Even though there were playability issues with the damage, I didn’t notice any difference in playability after the repair...

Back in the 70s for me as well, my college roomate wore me down into letting him use my then, 1 year old Benge for an out of town gig. I got it back 3 days later and something was very different in the response. Turns out, the bell got creased and he had it repaired by "the best repairman in the business" before bringing it back to me. Much dissapointment in the whole situation put me on a long journey to get it repaired right or replace the bell. I ended up on a regular gig with a sax player, Mark Vandermark, who was also a perfectionist dent repairman. His work made all of the difference. I basically got my horn back! Fast forward many decades, I got a valve job, tuning slide replacement (red rot) and some tweaking on the same horn by Jim Becker at Osmun. It plays better now than ever before!

My thoughts: if you decide to get your horn repaired, do some research, get it done by the best you can find, don't skimp on $$$ and be realistic in your expectations. In my case, I ended up with an even better horn.

BTW, my old roommate and I have remained lifelong friends communicating weekly.

Wishing you the best,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces

Last edited by cbtj51 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTTW, my old roommate and I have remained lifelong friends communicating weekly.

At least he had the decency to get it repaired before returning it to you.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
Quote:
BTTW, my old roommate and I have remained lifelong friends communicating weekly.

At least he had the decency to get it repaired before returning it to you.

He's a decent guy, one of the reasons we have been very close friends for more than 50 years! Relationships are not replaceable, nor should they be!

Kindest regards,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: