• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Strad 37 - Yamaha 5335G ... compare

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orban

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Bach Strad 37 - Yamaha 5335G ... compare Reply with quote

I am now comparing (the last 4 day's) a Bach-Strad(silver) , against my Yamaha 5335G( lacque).
The Strad is about 25 year old , i think.
On the bell... Model 37.

Allready in the first minutes i noticed:

- The Bach is more easy to play... not a lot , but it's there... no imagination.
- The sound of the Strad is more powerfull and also more brilliant.
- Slotting of the Strad is better.

1- Opinions?
2- Are there Yamaha trumpets who can compete with the Strad?

Thank You.
YBChen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 37 is better than 5335 since it's a higher model. 37 is a great horn and has been played by a lot of players. Yamaha makes great trumpet can compare to 37 as well. All of the 8335 Xeno or 9335 artist models are fantastic trumpets. However, you might find some gem among Yamaha 6335 or 6310z.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Bach as well as a Yamaha. The 37 is a pro model and the 5335 is an intermediate level horn. Usually intermediate horns and student horns are a bit tighter to assist young students.

Yamaha horns that are pro model horns that might be similar to the Bach 37 are the 6335H, 8335, 9335.

If you like the 37, the best thing to do is get a 37. Although Yamaha horns are competitive with Bach’s, the bell tapers are more than likely not the same and the lead pipes are probably not the same either.

I switch between a Bach 43*/43 and a Yamaha 8310Z. They are both great horns. I do mostly commercial playing so these two horns work best for me.

Pete
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all generality, I find that Bach and Yamaha horns have different qualities with neither being objectively better or worse. Yamaha horns routinely have a very clean and uniform sound. Many Bachs, while not quite as uniform have something added to their sound which many find very satisfying. Once you have the Bach sound in your head sometimes the Yamaha sounds sterile by comparison. My impressions are specifically with regard to the sound behind the bell. Out front, I think the difference is much less, and sometimes not at all noticeable.

And hard versus soft slotting is simply a matter of personal preference.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Orban

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers...

Ok , sound is taste.

But it surprises me that the Strad is a little more easy to play than the Yam 5335G.

Is that the same with the Xeno's ?
Do they play more easy than the 5335G?

I find this question very important.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orban wrote:

I think that you are more happy with the sound the Bach produces rather than your 5335G; the Bach for you plays with more ease since you have to work harder on the 5335G to approach that Bach sound.
If you want to stick with Yamaha you'll have to find a model that produces something near the soud a Bach 180/37 trumpet produces, that won't be a 8310Z since that very model has a big 72ish bell

Xeno model I never tried, if you are looking for an alternative for Bach 180/37 you could try Getzen Eterna Protheus
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5335G is a great horn. I agree with the above post about sound. I think possibly even more is how a player perceives resistance. Yamaha horns have tighter slots and are built with closer tolerances. Most (but not all) players will feel this as greater resistance. No matter how well in tune or even a horn plays, it won't feel right to you if you desire a more open blow and wider slots. This is often the dilemma as players choose between Bach and Yamaha. Some players like the feeling of having something to blow against, a friendly resistance. In the end, just play what feels and sounds best for you.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard said that Bach horns are generally tighter slotting than some other models. The Yamaha horns I've played didn't strike me as very different in that regard. Benge horns are said to be routinely looser and I have detected that on a few, but not others.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Orban

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad i can testplay this Strad.
If i buy a prof. trumpet in the future, the Strad is a candidate.
And also the Yamaha 83xxx models.

Some people here who have real knowledge of Strad AND Yam 8335(R)(G) ??

Thank You.

Orban.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orban wrote:
Some people here who have real knowledge of Strad AND Yam 8335(R)(G) ??

I own both a Bach 137 and a Yamaha Xeno 8335II. Both have ML bore, standard leadpipe and yellow brass bell. I've also play-tested Xenos with reverse leadpipe, large bore, and gold brass bell.

Both the Bach and 137 and Yamaha 8335II are great instruments. I played the Bach for many years and loved it. I tried the Xeno and liked it better, so that's what I play now. I love the sound, and I find it easier to play. It's more even across the range and requires less manipulation to play in tune. Sounds good soft or loud and can project like crazy without much effort. Has just the right amount of resistance and support for me.

That's not a slam against the Bach 137 though. If you found one you like and think is easy to play, then you should grab it. You'd have a winner.

The different types of Xenos with various bore sizes, leadpipe configurations and bell materials are really different instruments. Don't let the shared brand name "Xeno" fool you. I think you'd have to play them to see which you prefer. I did, and I prefer the one with std leadpipe, ML bore and yellow brass bell. Chase Sanborn wrote a blog post describing his thoughts on these different models. I think it's a good summary.
Piccolo Stomvi
Orban

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:
Orban wrote:

I think that you are more happy with the sound the Bach produces rather than your 5335G; the Bach for you plays with more ease since you have to work harder on the 5335G to approach that Bach sound.
If you want to stick with Yamaha you'll have to find a model that produces something near the soud a Bach 180/37 trumpet produces, that won't be a 8310Z since that very model has a big 72ish bell

Xeno model I never tried, if you are looking for an alternative for Bach 180/37 you could try Getzen Eterna Protheus

At Manuel,
Not realy, I did compare the Strad and the Yam by alternating about 5 minutes.
And i played the Strad the same as i play the Yam.
Same music..mouthpiece..physics .
The Strad sound different. (no surprise)
But is also slightly easyer to play.

And so i hope there is a Yam 8335 XXX who play that easy or even better?

Orban
Orban

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At DstDenis,

Thanks.
You own both trumpets, so your opinion is very welcome.

Are the 8335 (yellow brass) and the 8335G (gold brass) very different?
I mean in playability.
trompette229
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course things can feel different to different players but I'd say in general, the gold brass bell has a slightly warmer sound at lower volumes whereas the yellow brass responds a little faster. The general feel and sound is very similar.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orban wrote:
At DstDenis,

Thanks.
You own both trumpets, so your opinion is very welcome.

Are the 8335 (yellow brass) and the 8335G (gold brass) very different?
I mean in playability.

I didn't detect a difference in playability between the yellow brass and gold brass instruments. The sound was different, of course, and that's what decided it for me. I thought the gold brass bell sounded darker than what I was looking for in a trumpet, while the yellow brass bell was just what I wanted.
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: