• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hand Reamer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fijimorgan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking around and can't find any reamers or broaches that fit a mouthpiece. Do you have any links that could point me in the right direction?

JoeLoeffler wrote:
No. That will not work. It will not reach where you want it to and the taper is too fast.

Drill bits will not give you the level of control you really need. (Particularly if you only have a fractional set from the hardware store.)

Many will say that straight machine reamers are the only way to fly. This is not the case for somebody looking to make their own bucket of failed experiments... You are looking for a tapered reamer usually called a broach. Usually 5-sided. I believe the Stubs #20 is the right size range. Starts somewhere smaller than a #28 drill through somewhere just under 1/4”. Look at jewelry tool houses. (McMaster-Carr might carry them also) You will need a way to hold it. Buy an appropriate tap handle from the same place. (Scott Laskey had one that looked like a giant screwdriver handle, but I just used a basic t-handle one.) You should also buy a way to measure the hole sizes that you will be reaming. The cheapest way is to buy some number-sized drill blanks. Probably starting at 28 (or whatever the smallest size you are interested in) up to whatever you care to open up to. (Number size drills (or drill blanks for that matter) are graduated in something like .003” increments and get smaller as the number increases. Above “size 1”, the letter drills start and go up in the same increments. ) Ream the throat a little from the cup and a little from the backbore (I think it is something like 30% cup/70% backbore. It has been so long since I have bothered with this - it’s just not worth it...) It is remarkably easy to control how much material you are removing. Dont go nuts. Ream with gentle pressure. Blow the chips out with compressed air. Measure. Play it. Note what happens. Lather, rinse, repeat. Be aware that changing the throat will make changes to how the mouthpiece works. Some are good, some are not. Be prepared to open too much and make paperweights.
fijimorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found this on Schilke Loyalist

Vincent Bach was the first American manufacturer to actually make mouthpieces of a consistent nature in a quantity and at a price that were affordable for both students and amateurs. According to those who knew him, Bach employed a standard throat size for manufacturing purposes. To make all the different models in various throat sizes would be a nightmare both in terms of inventory and manufacturing. Accordingly, Bach reduced the standard throat size of his mouthpieces to the current size #27 (0.144 inches) with the belief that players would then adjust the throat size of their mouthpieces to suit their own playing style and needs, meaning that he expected players to open the throat of their own mouthpieces.

A former employee of Bach once told me that when mouthpiece sales were down, he would then “as a keepsake of their visit to the Bach factory” give people the tool we commonly refer to as a hand reamer, or jeweler’s reamer (five, four, or three sided English pin broach).
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS is the sort of thing you're looking for...

3-4mm is enough - that'll take you from your stock #27 (about 3.66mm) up to about a #22 (about 3.99mm).

If you look around, you'll find other slightly different sizes, or sets of sizes available.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe this type of reamer is tapered - not a single size. Perhaps not a problem if you want a tapered throat - but for a straight throat you would want a single diameter reamer.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's tapered - but that's basically what's being referred to (in context).

If you want straight throats, yes you'll need specific reamers for whatever particular size you're after.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: