• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece recommendations for 1967 Olds Ambassador Cornet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brybry1234

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece recommendations for 1967 Olds Ambassador Cornet? Reply with quote

I find the original mouthpiece a little small, anyone know any recommendations for slightly bigger sizes?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot to go on here. Assuming the original piece resembles the Bach 7C I'd recommend trying the Yamaha sizes larger than 11. The size 14 pieces (14B4, or 14C4) are fairly popular and comfortable (for me anyway). Might not be anybody's ideal cornet piece but they should be serviceable. Best mouthpiece I ever used on an Ambassador cornet was by GR but I don't recall the model or size.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an Ambassador cornet for almost ten years now and use it exclusively for practice purposes while traveling. In my experience it is the dustbin for mouthpieces in the sense that you can play any mouthpiece you want or like on it.
I have a certain feeling that the horn plays a little better with a long shank mouthpiece than with a short shank mp but maybe this already goes too far for you now.
Considering that you are a real beginner and that you don't give any information about what you play now, I only can say: stay where you are, try what you have for some time. You are now not in the position to judge mouthpieces.
JeffM729
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olds 3 cornet mouthpiece is about the size of a Bach 10 1/2C, maybe a tad shallower. You should be able to find many choices in a larger size. Something around a Bach 7 size should do the trick.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Ambassador is fine with any standard shank long cornet mouthpiece. Try something like 7C, 5C, 3C, or Schilke/Yamaha 11B4, 13, 14, 14B4, or 14C4.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Conn 3 that I bought off eBay a while ago, along with a modern Bach 7C.

You all remember my '75 Olds Ambassador that I picked up for a steal off eBay... It needed some braces re-soldered, etc... came with no MP, etc... The only MP in stock was the very common Bach 7C, which to be honest, well, I just had to buy it, so I could play the cornet and test it out!

My own opinion, for whatever it's worth...
Bach 7C - Really nice MP. Everybody has this MP, you know? But yet when it comes to a smooth, lush, cornet sound, the 7C tends to sound more like a trumpet.
Conn 3 - Beautiful older MP from eBay. Obviously bigger than a 7C, and has a different style medium cup (similar to a "C"), if memory is right... Makes the cornet sound like a cornet and not a trumpet. Sweet, mellow tone too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: