• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tuning Slide Placement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tajmozach1898

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Tuning Slide Placement Reply with quote

I have been playing for about 25 years and have noticed a trend in my tuning slide placement. It's usually a little further out that I would like.

My questions: How can I adjust my playing over time so that I can move my tuning slide farther in? Is there a definite drawback to playing with the tuning slide farther out than average?
Kanstul 920 Custom Class
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tuning Slide Placement Reply with quote

tajmozach1898 wrote:
It's usually a little further out that I would like.
Why do you like a certain length, and why do you like that length?
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that based on your particular horn, your particular mouthpiece, how far your lips go into that mouthpiece, whether or not you tend to play high/low on the pitch, the temperature of your horn and the room you're in, and numerous other factors both in and outside your control will affect where the "sweet spot" for your tuning slide is on a given day.

I think you should place it where it sounds best and not worry about it!
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it matter?

Adjust your slide accordingly to account for proper intonation relative to the pitch center you are playing to, and call it a day.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, I discount tuning slide position unless it's causing you a specific problem. But there have been two unique occasions where it mattered. For a while, I had the bad habit of lipping everything down hard until my tuning slide had to be fully closed. At another time I started hearing pitches too high and no matter how far I pulled out I was still sharp. Obviously, I like to try on every single bad idea.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's pulled waaaaaay out, it doesn't really matter much. If you pull one out a few inches, though, the valve slides become too short relative to the length of the horn and need to be pulled out a little, too so correct intonation is maintained.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you sound? If you sound good, then I don't think it's a big deal.
Blackquill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus on your sound. Only push it in if you notice your sound improves by doing so. Some teachers have a really good ear and can tell if your sound is centered or not and can make a recommendation of whether to push your slide in or pull it out. (most players play sharp) That is how I learned to play with a centered sound, actually....
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stamp method can help players improve their ability to play exactly where the horn wants to slot. This can help iron out issues relating to nominal tuning slide placement.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Lukarino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play consistently sharp on the pitch center, which created this super dark, muffled tone. The three things I did to get my pitch on the center of the note (hence making my tuning slide move in) were
1. Putting my right thumb and index on the mouthpiece receiver, and shaking the horn (violently but comfortable on the lips, I found that up and down can work) as if it were an ultra intense vibrato until I hear the brilliance of the sound pop out. That’s the pitch center, and you adjust the tuning slide to where that brilliance is in tune.
2. Lip bending a note down a half step, then slowly up until you find the spot of brilliance (it can help to open up your jaw as you go down and keep it open)
3. Playing with a metal mute and making it buzz.
Hope this helps! But as others have said if it sounds fine you probably are fine. My problem was evident from the pillowy sound.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lukarino wrote:

2. Lip bending a note down a half step, then slowly up until you find the spot of brilliance

I find lip bends to be helpful. I play lip bends first thing in the first practice session. Well, after some lip flapping and a few pedals. When you can stay in the center of pitch on the horn play along with tuning drones. I have found these particular drones to be useful:

https://fiddlerman.com/fiddle-learning-tools/drones-for-intonation-practice/

I practice with these drones every day. Stay in the center of pitch for each note and move the tuning slide until you are generally close to in tune with the drones. You will probably have to lip some notes a little or use the kicker slides. When you start to feel comfortable doing this you can start adding the 3rd to each pitch, 5th, etc. This has helped me quite a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: