• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What brass instrument did you start on?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Owl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnsd wrote:
When I was in 3rd grade they offered band, so I asked my mom. She was SURE the trumpet would be too big and hard to play, so she got me the cornet.

I have some sympathy for bnsd’s mom. Several (British) teachers of high brass suggest that the cornet is the most suitable starting instrument for an 8-year-old ... because the centre of gravity is closer to the face, so it is easier for a small person to keep the instrument reasonably level.

Of course, not everyone is of the same mind. Other, equally knowledgeable, teachers argue that if a student is insistent that only a trumpet will do, for whatever reason, then more progress will be made by practising on a trumpet than by not practising on a cornet. ANYthing which encourages a student to practise (or practice) is to be welcomed.

I was an exception that proved the rule. When I joined a youth brass band as a fairly small 10-year-old, the band had no cornet to lend me. They offered me the choice of a baritone horn or a flugelhorn. I chose the flugelhorn, and still remember how front-heavy it felt, and how difficult to keep level.

A superannuated cornet from the back of the band cupboard was pressed into service; despite its age, it met my need much better. It was a Besson Class A Prototype ... probably from before the War since it had two shanks, one for B flat and one for A.

I fear I have no idea what mouthpiece came with it. In those days, I used whatever was in the cornet case. The unending quest for the perfect mouthpiece started much later.

John

Cornet: Taylor Orpheus
Trumpet: Taylor Chicago II
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: What brass instrument did you start on? Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:
There are many posts discussing the size and specifications of trumpet and cornet mouthpieces'. I wonder if it relates to the instrument that we started learning on. I started playing tenor/alto horn at the age of 7, the mouthpiece on the horn was wider in diameter than the cornet or trumpet and had a deeper cup. The mouthpiece shank although shorter than the trumpet shank is the same width. I have always done best on the bigger trumpet and cornet mouthpieces although I use smaller mouthpieces on the eb/d and piccolo trumpets.

How has your first mouthpiece effected your current mouthpiece choice?

I started on a King Cleveland cornet in 6th grade in 1962. I think King was providing King 7M mouthpieces with new trumpets and cornets at that time.

In 1965 in 9th grade, I started private lessons. When it became apparent that the lessons were going to make a big difference and that I was going to take the instrument seriously, I got a new King Silver Flair trumpet. That was the top of the line in King trumpets at that time. Again, all this was 1965 and there was only one kind of Silver Flair at that time - the original 1055t model.

The Silver Flair was a fairly recent addition to the King trumpet line at that time. It came with a King 7M mouthpiece - I do remember that.

My teacher was a symphonic player and played a Bach 1C. Shortly after beginning lessons, he put me on a Bach 1 1/4C which I played for many years. I built my embouchure on that mouthpiece.

Some years ago, I downsized to a 3C and then to a 7C. I'll skip going into the reasons for that right now; just to say that the downsize process was accompanied by some change in embouchure formation, which greatly facilitated the downsizing of the mouthpiece.

So, in response to the original question in my particular case, I can see how there could be a connection in the mouthpiece used in the developmental stages and the choice in later years.

However, in my case, "growing up" so to speak, on the Bach 1 1/4C has nothing to do with the mouthpiece I would play today - it is too big at this time and probably always was too big. But I didn't come to that conclusion for many years. It was only after I experienced a need to correct some playing problems that I was having that caused me to realize that a smaller mouthpiece would help in accomplishing the embouchure adjustments I needed to make.

I would say that in my case, if I were going to try to continue to play the 1 1/4 C or anything in that size range, I would want to be taking private lessons so that my embouchure could be monitored. That is due to my opinion that the large cup was contributing to some of the playing problems I was having at that time.

Today, I would use both a Bach 3C and 7C, depending on the situation. I have a Bach 1 1/4C and every so often, get it out and blow a few notes on it - helps me remember why I wouldn't use it now.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: What brass instrument did you start on? Reply with quote

deleted see below!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: What brass instrument did you start on? Reply with quote

DaveH wrote:
trumpet56 wrote:
There are many posts discussing the size and specifications of trumpet and cornet mouthpieces'. I wonder if it relates to the instrument that we started learning on. I started playing tenor/alto horn at the age of 7, the mouthpiece on the horn was wider in diameter than the cornet or trumpet and had a deeper cup. The mouthpiece shank although shorter than the trumpet shank is the same width. I have always done best on the bigger trumpet and cornet mouthpieces although I use smaller mouthpieces on the eb/d and piccolo trumpets.

I started on a King Cleveland cornet in 6th grade in 1962. I think King was providing King 7M mouthpieces with new trumpets and cornets at that time.

In 1965 in 9th grade, I started private lessons. When it became apparent that the lessons were going to make a big difference and that I was going to take the instrument seriously, I got a new King Silver Flair trumpet. That was the top of the line in King trumpets at that time. Again, all this was 1965 and there was only one kind of Silver Flair at that time - the original 1055t model.

The Silver Flair was a fairly recent addition to the King trumpet line at that time. It came with a King 7M mouthpiece - I do remember that.

My teacher was a symphonic player and played a Bach 1C. Shortly after beginning lessons, he put me on a Bach 1 1/4C which I played for many years. I built my embouchure on that mouthpiece.

Some years ago, I downsized to a 3C and then to a 7C. I'll skip going into the reasons for that right now; just to say that the downsize process was accompanied by some change in embouchure formation, which greatly facilitated the downsizing of the mouthpiece.

So, in response to the original question in my particular case, I can see how there could be a connection in the mouthpiece used in the developmental stages and the choice in later years.

However, in my case, "growing up" so to speak, on the Bach 1 1/4C has nothing to do with the mouthpiece I would play today - it is too big at this time and probably always was too big. But I didn't come to that conclusion for many years. It was only after I experienced a need to correct some playing problems that I was having that caused me to realize that a smaller mouthpiece would help in accomplishing the embouchure adjustments I needed to make.

I would say that in my case, if I were going to try to continue to play the 1 1/4 C or anything in that size range, I would want to be taking private lessons so that my embouchure could be monitored. That is due to my opinion that the large cup was contributing to some of the playing problems I was having at that time.

Today, I would use both a Bach 3C and 7C, depending on the situation. I have a Bach 1 1/4C and every so often, get it out and blow a few notes on it - helps me remember why I wouldn't use it now.

Rereading this thread I want to add, also having spent o quarter of a century on a Bach 1 1/4 C, brassband as well as lead in big band ( same mpc in each case, although the cornet Bach) that probably this piece delayed my development at the end. Playing cornet in the brassband also has made a deep impact on the way I have shaped my sound. Starting out on saxhorn,. like Gordon, probably also has contributed. Even more I suppose, as I waited some 55 years before I took lessons. I’ve expressed my views on the huge difference in attitudes playing cornet or trumpet. Probably my trumpet sound would have been different if I had started out on trumpet.
So, indeed I think the first tottering steps playing are affected by what kind of horn and what kind of mpc.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My older brother had taught me to play a "C" scale on his Olds Mendez trumpet, so I had a little bit of a leg up on my 5th grade beginner band mates when I started out on a Conn Director cornet. I played the cornet for a couple of years before my brother passed his Mendez down to me.

Take care,
Marc Speed
RegCakes5000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 11 when I was given a Jet Tone 2D and a Bach 7C - took a while to figure out which was the right one to use
hiandlo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A circa 1929-35 beat up King cornet......but it still played well.
Schilke B7
DEG Signature model cornet

"Those who fail to prepare should prepare to fail"
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn Director trumpet, Conn 4 mouthpiece, from the early 1960's. I wanted to play drums, but my father vetoed. My older brother had abandoned the trumpet in favor of baritone horn, then trombone, so I got his hand-me-down. When I upgraded to a Getzen, my younger brother inherited the Conn.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started on a King Cleveland student cornet with a King 7k mouthpiece.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Yogadidit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: First Horn Reply with quote

My first horn at age 9 was a used American Standard trumpet by H N White. I played the mouthpiece that came with it until eighth grade when I bought a Bach 7C on recommendation of my band director. I have been through about 40 different sizes by 6 different manufacturers. I also have played six different trumpets in my 61 years of playing.
MV Bach 239C/Bb
Yamaha 6330II Cornet
Getzen 895 Eterna Flugel
Dillon Piccolo
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined the local wind band at the age of 9 on alto saxophone but couldn't fill it up with air. So they gave me a flugelhorn which my mother vetoed, I swapped it for a Schenkelaars Olds Ambassador-ish stencil with a no name mouthpiece.
After a few years I was told to swapp the trumpet for a long cornet that came with a plexiglass Joseph Klier mouthpiece.
I quit the band and the playing for like 5 years than started playing a brand new (my first salary!) Vincent Bach 37 with a Denis Wick 3C mouthpiece, that mouthpiece was replaced for a Bach 1 1/4C which improved my sound but the trumpetplaying went down due the 1 1/4C was far too big for me.
The 1 1/4C was replaced for a 3C which I played for many years.
Actually I found the Bach 3C too big as well and after a long search I stick to Warburton 5M. Yamaha 11B4 I like as well, I think that is an underrated mouthpiece
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: What brass instrument did you start on? Reply with quote

trumpet56 wrote:

The mantra in the 80's on conservatory was 'The Bigger The Better' so I was more or less forced to take a Bach 1 1/4C mouthpiece, as I allready wrote far too big for mee so my playing went down and I had to quit the conservatory.
It took me same currage to downsize to 3C but the playing went easyer an the sound actually remained well so I could take a job as a part time trumpet player in a musicall orcherstra in Amsterdam.
But when you go for downsizing the sky is the limit so I was searching for even a 'smaller' size rather than 3C so I tried 5C which I hated becouse of the very uncomfortable rim.
The Yamaha 11B4 I liked a lot but finally I ended with Warburton 5M, I like the feel of the mouthpiece as well as the easy option to switch backbores and the fact that the backbore is easy to bend: I have quite an overbite so I like to bend mouthpieces to lift the bell of my trumpet
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I should know this before....

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/threads/jens-lindemann-on-mouthpieces-please-read-before-asking-about-mouthpieces.65691/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: