• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Type Thomas Gansch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OndraJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Type Thomas Gansch Reply with quote

I'd like to know, which type Thomas Gansch is. There thousands of clips on youtube, but very few of him without beard. Here is one.
What do you think?

Link
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No responses? I don't see anything but IIIB
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It may not help your analysis but I saw in a youtube interview that Gansch uses three different embouchure setups to deal with his extremely heavy and varied schedule. He freely admits it is a pragmatic (and intelligent) way to deal with the copious demands on his playing week to week.

Please anyone correct me if any of this information is wrong.

Thomas is a truly terrific player and a hilarious individual too. Huge respect to him.

Thanks
amuk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw, in an evidently subsequent interview, that he said he "USED" to use several different setups but that he was now working to only have one.
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw him not too long ago using 2 embouchures. The main one and the ' screech' one
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been very curious as to the manner in which he both utilised and maintained different embouchure set ups. (Whether he still does or not).

Does anyone know if it was a tone/timbre decision, or to cover separate parts of the range, or perhaps for different styles of playing and the necessary production/dynamic/endurance aspects of each one?

Thanks for any information. And thanks to the previous two posters for their interesting responses!
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Type Thomas Gansch Reply with quote

OndraJ wrote:
I'd like to know, which type Thomas Gansch is . . . . What do you think?

At ITG in Hershey last year Jonathan Lax (longtime DSR student) and I sat in the front row to hear and see Thomas Gansch play (we were the ones who stood when we realized he was playing The Star Spangled Banner).

We both watched intently and agreed that he appears to be a IIIB (for now).

The endurance and the sound that guy has are nothing short of amazing, and I thoroughly enjoyed his jazz playing. His rendition of Stardust was a major endurance feat in and of itself.

His sense of humor came through loud and clear and that concert was hands down the high point of all the performances that I attended at ITG 2017 in Hershey.
OndraJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answers.
I was on a clinic with Thomas and there he said, the he uses two different setups and he is on to connect them. So he want to get around with just one setup!
I am not sure, but I think he uses the two because of range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: