• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Dental implant or not

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malden wrote:
Find an excellent oral surgeon. The procedure is a breeze if done correctly.

This. Failures are almost always associated with poorly executed procedures.

A good dentist / oral surgeon will ensure your tooth is sound for a root canal therapy. Or that you actually need an implant, orthodontic work, etc. etc.

The one root canal I had occurred in an old failed amalgam filling, 10 days before I was due to spend 6 months studying in Europe and the US. My dentist was the guy dentists went to in our city 'if they couldn't do the work themselves in a mirror'. I quote a highly respected periodontist, who also his patient and recommended I also see him.

On learning I was going away for 6 months, the guy just told me to fly back down under if the temp filing caused any issues. 'You really do NOT want to have any dental work done in the US. My work does not fail...', and on my return I got the crown done. No problems since.

He has been retired 3 years and I still have no reason to doubt him. the crown on that tooth is now 22 years old.

So, get the BEST physician, dentist, surgeon you can!

cheers

Andy
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW my teacher referred me to a trusted dentist, who referred me to a trusted oral surgeon, who referred me to a trusted periodontist office. Then the trusted dentist insisted I see the most trusted periodontist in the office.

In my case, I wouldn't characterize it as a breeze. Although the extraction procedure involved only modest pain, the procedure was quite intense, especially since I was neither unconscious nor sedated. And that in addition to extraction I had to have gum grafted, significant infection cleared, and both tissue and bone regeneration.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jerry Dibble

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
FWIW my teacher referred me to a trusted dentist, who referred me to a trusted oral surgeon, who referred me to a trusted periodontist office. Then the trusted dentist insisted I see the most trusted periodontist in the office.

In my case, I wouldn't characterize it as a breeze. Although the extraction procedure involved only modest pain, the procedure was quite intense, especially since I was neither unconscious nor sedated. And that in addition to extraction I had to have gum grafted, significant infection cleared, and both tissue and bone regeneration.

It's never really "a breeze," but things go a lot better if you catch the problems before they develop into bleeding gums, infected teeth, and significant bone loss. The best way to do that is be really conscious of what is going on in your mouth (pain, soreness, bleeding, etc.), put yourself in the hands of a good dentist, and see him or her regularly.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bridge or partial.
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: implants Reply with quote

Consider a bridge...Costs less than am implant and is covered under a dental plan, implants are not.

I chose a bridge...

Best,

Scott
Pickett Mouthpieces
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: implants Reply with quote

CalicchioMan wrote:
Consider a bridge...Costs less than am implant and is covered under a dental plan, implants are not.

I chose a bridge...

Best,

Scott

This thread is two and a half years old - pretty sure the OP already decided what they were going to do.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piercepau wrote:
Based on the comments, the only real drawback is not being able to implant the teeth in the future, as the empty space will be filled by nearby teeth.

I got an implant more than 10 years after my bottom right back molar was extracted. The opposing tooth, the upper right back molar, started "erupting" -- dropping down lower than the molar in front of it. With no resistance, my dentist explained the the upper molar would continue erupting until not enough root was in the bone and it would fall out. In my case, the erupting tooth grazed against the remaining bottom molar, throwing off my bite and causing jaw-aches. When the crown was installed my dentist ground down the top of the upper molar so that everything lined up.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
... I got an implant more than 10 years after my bottom right back molar was extracted. The opposing tooth, the upper right back molar, started "erupting" -- dropping down lower than the molar in front of it. With no resistance, my dentist explained the the upper molar would continue erupting until not enough root was in the bone and it would fall out. In mI y case, the erupting tooth grazed against the remaining bottom molar, throwing off my bite and causing jaw-aches. When the crown was installed my dentist ground down the top of the upper molar so that everything lined up.

---------------------
I have a similar situation, with the upper tooth drifting downward, but in my case the drift is stopped by adequate contact with a remaining lower tooth. The lower tooth was removed to provide clearance for the other teeth to move into better position. I have not had jaw problems of any type.
The gap from the tooth that was removed is not noticeable, so there wasn't a 'cosmetic concern'.
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: