• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Transposition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Transposition Reply with quote

I play a lot for a church near my house. They always have fancy brass parts for the hymns. We rehears about half an hour before just to read a little and make sure everything works.

This morning the first hymn was in the wrong key in my part. I said not to worry I'll transpose the part. I'm thinking that went a long way to getting called back. So if you're a student thinking I'm not going to play in an orchestra so why learn, here's why.
Heikschwebel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joe, Used that Monette D of yours ?
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D is just sitting there.
tajmozach1898

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...heh
Kanstul 920 Custom Class
depasqualem1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Transposition Reply with quote

Great advice!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes in handy all the time. We have a local (national) system of practical music examinations where you are expected to demonstrate transposition. Typically, kids resist the more 'boring' (AKA not easy first go or as rewarding for Granny to listen to) aspects of these exams, including the transposition.

Yesterday, our school orchestra started on L'Arlessienne suite #2 (or the one with the Farendole movement). AS an orchestra reading it, I was thoroughly stoked to hear one of my students play the 1st trumpet (in A) part almost flawlessly straight off. Seems the nagging, insisting on transposing all the time, working on scales, really looking to identify scales and arpeggios, etc. etc. paid off this once!

So, if you start playing in the 3rd grade and take exam each year it looks like this from the first year of playing:

year 1 (3rd grade) none
year 2 (4th grade) none
year 3 (5th grade) in C, a couple of accidentals)
year 4 (6th grade) in C, a bit more involved)
year 5 (7th grade) in C, D
year 6 (8th grade) in C, D, A
year 7 (9th grade) in C, D, F, A
year 8 (10th grade) anything goes!

For you guys, that's up to sophomore year. This kid is a senior. It was rather nice to see...

cheers

Andy
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good skill to have, particularly if you use trumpets in other keys. I find for "legit" stuff that the higher smaller horns often work better, and that usually involves transposition.

When I first got a C trumpet years ago, I transposed all my lesson work from Bb music, as well as any other assigned transposition. On Bb, I transpose everything from fake books and playalongs in C. So up a step and down a step are pretty easy.

In high school, when I was getting interested in jazz, I transposed jazz charts into music notebooks. After I had filled several notebooks, I found I could transpose at sight reasonably well.

Maybe the best reason to transpose is to stave off dementia, along with sudoku, ken-ken and crosswords.
rogertpt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much of a pain as it is, it really is beneficial
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: