• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eb/D Trumpet, Which Mouthpiece?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisroberts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Eb/D Trumpet, Which Mouthpiece? Reply with quote

Good afternoon,

I wanted to ask the hive-mind about mouthpieces for Eb/D trumpets. This isn't causing any issues in my playing, but I think it could be more efficient on a different mouthpiece.

I've always used my Bb and C piece, but is everyone using something smaller or more suited to the instrument?

I think that sticking to as few mouthpieces as possible is the best option, so I only use 4 at any given time between Bb/C, Eb/D, Piccolo, Baroque and Rotary trumpets.

Thanks.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Eb/D Trumpet, Which Mouthpiece? Reply with quote

chrisroberts wrote:
Good afternoon,

I wanted to ask the hive-mind about mouthpieces for Eb/D trumpets. This isn't causing any issues in my playing, but I think it could be more efficient on a different mouthpiece.

I've always used my Bb and C piece, but is everyone using something smaller or more suited to the instrument?

I think that sticking to as few mouthpieces as possible is the best option, so I only use 4 at any given time between Bb/C, Eb/D, Piccolo, Baroque and Rotary trumpets.

Thanks.
I play an older Yamaha 761. The sound is good but intonation is a struggle on my Bb mouthpiece. Using my piccolo mouthpiece lines up the intonation but misses some of the capacity for sound that you might expect from a larger horn. I use a Monette C4S which lines up the intonation and provides the larger, broader sound I want from an Eb. I Dave makes an equivalent E flat mouthpiece but, as little as I use Eb, it just didn’t seem worth the additional expense. Hope these thoughts help.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use the same mouthpiece I use on my C trumpet (copy of a Mt Vernon 3C rim with either a 1-1/2C or 3B underpart) on Eb (mine is an E3L-4).
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Personally I wouldn't move to another mouthpiece specifically when picking up the Eb trumpet, I prefer to keep the same one I am using on the Bb (particularly in a situation requiring both instruments, which is always for me).

That being said, I have about 4 different mouthpieces I use day to day based upon the demands on my playing, my physical state and the timbre I am looking for. Realistically two of those would be suitable and I would stick to medium or medium-deep cups; I couldn't see a scenario that would require playing the Eb with a very deep cup (before anyone suggests it; I don't believe Mahler 3 posthorn should be done on 'Eb with a flugelhorn mouthpiece) or indeed a very shallow cup (for me, if you require a 'shallow mouthpiece' sound out of an Eb then use a Picc).

Just my thoughts and anyone is welcome to disagree!
All the best
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use different mouthpieces on Bb and C/D/Eb. The latter has the same rim and cup as my Bb mouthpiece but shorter shank and more open throat and backbore. For me it helps the smaller horns play more in tune and better match the "feel" of my Bb when switching horns. I use similar rim but little shallower cup and more open throat, with a cornet shank, with my picc. "One mpc for all" works great for some folk but I had to work too hard; works better for me to play the mouthpiece that makes it easiest to get the sound I want on the horn.

FWIWFM - Don
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I also use my c trumpet mouthpiece on D and E flat. It's the same cup and rim as b flat but with a more open throat and a 24 backbore. For me, this allows for the blow and sound that I'm looking for on the smaller horns.

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Bb, depending on my mood, I usually use either a Schilke M2* or a Bach 3B underpart modified by Matt Frost, with a Parke 640 rim. I have others.

On C I use a 1970s Bach 1-1/2C 24/24 with a Parke 640 rim. For a while, I was using a Curry 1BC top screwed onto a Bach 24 backbore. It sounded amazing, but that cup was just too wide.

For Eb, I have Reeves 43M with a Bach Artisan 3C rim.

On picc, I use either a Bach 7E or 7D, depending on what sound I want. I like the 7D better.

For my own playing, I don't have an easy time playing multiple horns with the same mouthpiece. Most of my pieces are in the 1-1/2 diameter range, but other aspects are modified to match pitch of the horn.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For parts of my senior recital and excerpts (Ravel Piano Concerto in G and Petrushka) for a jury I used a GR 65VC, a mouthpiece designed for C trumpet, with a Stomvi Elite Eb/D. It was fantastic, intonation and sound were perfect. It was also my main C trumpet mouthpiece at the time, though it seemed to work significantly better with the Eb/D trumpet.

When I finally get ahold of a Shires 6MS8 Eb/D I plan on trying both smaller mouthpieces such as a Curry 5DE, Schilke 13C4, Stork Vacchiano 4D26B and larger mouthpieces such as GR 65VC, VBC. 5C, Bach Artisan 5C, Stork Vacchiano 4C26B to see what works best depending on style and tessitura.

I think having more options is the way to go but switching between mouthpieces with similar diameters doesn't bother me.

Last edited by O00Joe on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Eb/D Trumpet, Which Mouthpiece? Reply with quote

chrisroberts wrote:
Good afternoon,

Thanks.

Lately I´ve come to use a Stork mouthpiece, the StudioMaster VMS6 (the Bb trumpet VM6 is possible if scores not that high. My Eb/D trumpet is a Selmer, year 1974. For lead work on Bb trumpet I use the VM6; concert work on Bb trumpet would be possible with this mpc but if not that high (meaning up to high C) I use a Denis Wick Ultra 7C.
The reason for this is that the rims (rounded) are quite similar, as are the cups - towards V - shape to my Bb cornet mpc, Wick Ultra 7C which I use in a brass band. Some folks insist this could possibly amount to sacriledge as one should play standard Wicks in brass band settings. However I maintain that with the right attitude this mpc blends very well. Ooops now I digressed. Sorry.
But I´m so happy eventually finding these Storks and the Eb/D trumpet just sings with the VMS6. Excellent build quality, comfy rims and big warm sound.
So nowadays, 2 different but rather similiar mpc:s (well the Ultra 7C Wick cornet "more of same but different") and if Eb/D trumpet is required the VMS6, only difference is in sound - of course brighter.
"Lipwise" I can hardly notice any differences
When I was young, back in the seventies I used the Selmer mpc that came along with the horn (Henri Selmer 2 D).
But try a Stork!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: