• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

F/G Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpeterb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: F/G Trumpet Reply with quote

Anyone here own an F/G or E/F/G trumpet? If so, do you ever use it? I see the schilke is probably the best bet, but I am looking for opinions.

A student of mine wants one...he is a surgeon and plays trumpet as a hobby. Money is not an option for him, but I just don't see that he would really use it much...it would just make a nice addition to his collection of trumpets.

Bach Artisan Bb
Bach 43 Bb
1965 Bach 229 C
Bach Chicago C
Bach Long-Bell Eb/D
Stomvi Elite A/Bb Piccolo
King Flugelhorn
Jupiter Flugelhorn
Cerveny Rotary Bb
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 4-valve Yamaha E-F-G and admit I don't use it that much. The G bell is appears to be pretty much the same bell on my P5-4 so it doesn't sound much different from that.

I got a good deal on it.
irith
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not got a whole lot of use, but if he's playing for fun and has the disposable income, just be upfront and honest about its usefulness (or lack thereof), and if he wants to get one anyway, point him towards the right brands and let him do his thing.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Schilke G1Ls on two separate occasions. I love the horns, but I rarely used them. As I see it, they are perfect for someone playing first trumpet in a quintet that plays a lot of baroque literature. A more practical alternative would be the Kanstul Bb/A/G piccolo (or the Blackburn A with a G bell). Of course, if your transposition skills are up to it, playing C trumpet parts on F is a nice fit. I believe Rolf Smedvig uses G quite a bit....

HTH

Ben

btw; I wasn't aware of a Yamaha 4 valve g; I'd love to learn more about it....
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a pro player, a G trumpet (and the sister keys of E and F) can be very useful for orchestral, solo, chamber, and baroque playing. It's not a horn one uses every week but it certainly gets used plenty over the long haul.

If your student is curious about it, point him towards a good Schilke - the best small horns out there IMHO. The Kanstul plays really out of tune in G, and the Yamaha just has a piccolo bell - the Schilke comes with a larger bell that gives it its own color somewhere between a picc and an Eb, and other sized G bells can be ordered as well. Tell him to start with Bach's Canata 51, which lies perfectly on the G trumpet. (This is of course assuming he already has and can play a picc.) After that try Vivaldi's Double Concerto, and go through the Bach books playing any of the parts for trumpet in C. If he gets an E bell he can work on the Hummel in its original key. After that be creative - the possibilities are endless!!

JU
Thad Alberty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tell him to start with Bach's Canata 51, which lies perfectly on the G trumpet. (This is of course assuming he already has and can play a picc.) After that try Vivaldi's Double Concerto, and go through the Bach books playing any of the parts for trumpet in C. If he gets an E bell he can work on the Hummel in its original key. After that be creative - the possibilities are endless!!"

This sounds like a good general starting point. The only difference I would recommend is to play BWV 51 on the F side. I believe the low concert C's in this piece would be written pedal F's on G trumpet, correct? The written low G's on F trumpet would probably be easier to center and articulate clearly, IMO.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: F/G Trumpet Reply with quote

trumpeterb wrote:
Anyone here own an F/G or E/F/G trumpet? If so, do you ever use it? I see the schilke is probably the best bet, but I am looking for opinions.

A student of mine wants one...he is a surgeon and plays trumpet as a hobby. Money is not an option for him, but I just don't see that he would really use it much...it would just make a nice addition to his collection of trumpets.

I used a large-bell Schilke G a lot when I was playing and I loved it. I preferred the 3-valve to the 4-valve. Full 3rd throw (and maybe some 1st -- I can't remember) gives a solid low F.

In addition to the Vivaldi, and any other Baroque work in C, I used it on some of the D rep. And, it makes the Shostakovich Piano conc a walk in the park.

I used the F bell fairly often in quintet/quartet. Never tried an E bell.

-Denny
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schilke G1L-4, which is a nice horn. Possibly my mouthpiece is too open for it, but it does feel a bit tubby at times, but it does play well.

Far, FAR better is a Scherzer G piccolo. they also made an interchangeable bell G/F at one time. These are the duck's nuts. Great sound, but variable thank to 3 leadpipes, and so easy to play. Cantata 51 doesn't sit perfectly, it just sings on these...

cheers

andy
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Schilke G1-L with E-bell, F-bell/slide, and both G bells with the G slides. The smaller G bell is similar to the P5-4 bell. The other is quite larger. I use the horn in G with the larger bell quite often. It's a really great option for a soloist. I have only used the horn in F a few times. The E configuration is one of the most resonant horns that I have ever played. It is so good that I look for any opportunity to use it.
I've also owned a Bach F/G and have played the Yamaha's quite a bit. They all have their merits but I prefer the Schilke. I also prefer the 3-valve model but certainly understand why some would like the 4-valve model.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought an 80s vintage Yamaha YTR-9710 F/G. Am mostly using it to play French Horn literature after enjoying playing the Mozart horn concertos that are written in Eb.
trpt4him

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Yamaha 9710's, have known many people who have played them and really like the sound and response. I have its predecessor, a YTR-971M, for sale if he wants a used one that plays well but won't break the bank....

https://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=107406&s=YTR-971M-Yamaha-F-G-Trumpet--pics-added-

Nick
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie thread...

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
JasonHarrelson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Scherzer F trumpet a few times a year and love it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: