• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Clarke book typo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JakeH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Clarke book typo? Reply with quote

I was playing Clarke study one this morning when I noticed something odd about the first etude in the Clarke book on page 7 (Carl Fischer, 1984). The metronome marking says quarter note equals 120, but the time signature is 6:8 and the sixteenth notes are grouped into dotted quarter note beats. I know it's just semantics, but I don't know if the metronome marking is wrong, and I should be thinking of the etude in two, or if the grouping is wrong and it is in three.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old blue copy shows a dotted quarter=120 which is six notes to a beat here. The 1984 copy does show quarter=120.

Last edited by oxleyk on Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
JakeH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@oxleyk
okay, maybe mine's just a misprint. Thanks!
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that's a typo.

It should be dotted-eighth = 120.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My older version has dotted quarter = 120, which I believe to be correct. (dotted eighth = 120 would be much too slow)
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the original question has been asked and answered (it's a typo). But I'd like to add that people should be aware that when Carl Fischer Corp. renewed the copyright on the book, they had to change it a bit (otherwise there would be no "legitimate" reason to be able to renew the copyright). So they had some un-named "reviser" change the text of the instructions in the book. While some of the new text is similar enough to Clarke's original words to convey the same meaning, in other cases, the changes would be laughable if not for the fact that the meaning of Clarke's original instructions have been completely lost.

Any trumpet or cornet player intent upon using and practicing from the Clarke books (all four of them) as Herbert L. Clarke intended and instructed, would be well advised to purchase Dave Hickman's excellent book "Clarke Studies" which compiles all four of Clarke's books into one publication, complete with the actual instructions as written by Herbert L. Clarke.

#TheFischerClarkeTechnicalStudiesBookIsAWasteOfMoney

Cheers,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: