• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn Vintage One

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpeter585
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Conn Vintage One Reply with quote

Whats the word on the street about the new conn-selmer 1Bsp? Vintage One series
Thanks Brian
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are excellent horns in my opinion but you have to play test as many as you can as they all play slightly differently due to different leadpipe venturi measurements.

Fred Powell invited me to visit the factory and play test a number of V1's. I tried perhaps a dozen of them, all the same model, and each one blew slightly different. I went home with a really sweet one and used it for many years. The bell is big and open and the sound is huge. I used it for a long time in my "CHASE" tribute group, "Primal Therapy".

Now, I do know that GR has two in his possession that are brand new, play tested by GR, and play even better than the one I had. These have never been on a gig and Gary may have used one for 5 minutes. I know for a fact that he is interested in selling them. If you are interested, send me an email grmouthpieces@gmail.com

Bri

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
Trumpeter585
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up a Conn Vintage one 2017 model in mint shape.The music store said it was only played one or two times. I'v play a Getzen Renaissance for over 20 years. The valves on the Conn are just as good as the Getzen. Play and slots alot nicer and it plays tune better as you good up the scale. Plays like a dream. I have tried the Bach 37,42,72, in the past and they just didn't fit me well at all.
Brian
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played two of them for many years (one was stolen)
The second one was silver plated yellow brass instead of lacquered red brass. The silver one played a little too big so I put the smaller leadpipe (.336 Venturi instead of .346) and that was pretty good. Still not as good as the lacquered one which was stolen though.
Good sound and intonation.
Ultimately I switched because the valves were too far apart. I know seems like a meaningless thing but somehow that became a thing.
Recorded a lot of parts with it though, really nice and in the slot layering parts.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
GarrettFaccone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echoing Bri and Doug,

Fred Powell was the designer behind the vintage one line of trumpets and flugelhorns. They are a bit harder to come by new these days, but you can usually find a used one at a really decent price. IMHO they outplay most used Bach Strad's and Yamaha Xeno's for the price.

If you're interested in taking this idea to the next level, I'd contact Fred Powell directly and start a conversation about one of his custom trumpets that are handmade in Elkhart, IN. These are amazing instruments and you owe it to yourself to try one out!

Powell Trumpet's Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/powellcustomtrumpets/https://www.facebook.com/powellcustomtrumpets/
Blast! The Show - 2014 Japan Tour - Trumpet/ Piccolo Trumpet/ Percussion.
Mac Gollehon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I endorsed the Vintage One Trumpet and flugelhorn in 2000. Recorded the Half Note release “in the Spirit of Fats Navarro” with those horns designed by Fred Powell. I also used them on many other recordings as well for several years.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played on one and it was very nice. The inconsistency problems were what kept me from getting one.
ConAlba

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Conn Vintage One Reply with quote

Doug said "The silver one played a little too big so I put the smaller leadpipe (.336 Venturi instead of .346) and that was pretty good."

I just acquired a Vintage One with the sterling silver bell, having liked one I had on loan a while ago. I like this one too, it plays very well in tune, and has a good sound.

It has the 46 leadpipe, a replacement [by one of the supposedly top brass shops in the UK] according to the PO due to damage on a gig; the soldering looks like it was done by a newly apprenticed plumber.

Anyway, I also find it feels a bit big, and I'd like to fit the smaller leadpipe or make a replacement. Doug, would you by any chance have measurements for the two leadpipes?

Ronnie
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Vintage One no longer being made? I can't find it on the ConnSelmer website.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
Is the Vintage One no longer being made? I can't find it on the ConnSelmer website.

Hasn't been made for several years.

On further review I may be wrong on this. WWBW lists some but I don't know if they're new or just NOS.
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vintage 1 trumpets are no longer in the Conn-Selmer catalogue, but the flugels are still there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: