• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Boosey & Hawkes 606

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Boosey & Hawkes 606 Reply with quote

Anyone here have this B&H? I have "re-discovered" mine & LOVE IT!
nismology

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Boosey and Hawkes 607, the model up from the 606. I would love more info on it and it's relation to the Sovereign trumpet! It's a great player, and wonderful valves!

Check out some pictures of mine! (link)
B&H 607
Getzen 300
A6ST (Reynolds Variant)
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. However, here in the US these amazingly great horns are way underrated. I would think that you can research these horns much better in the UK. If you go on ebay right now, you might find 1 or 2 of the 'lower end" models; I have not seen another 606 on ebay.

I recently bought a Martin Handcraft Imperial....doesn't even come close to the B&H 606..........
nismology

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only seen a couple of 606s on eBay in the past 6 months, they're pretty uncommon even here in the UK. One of those was in appalling condition (painted flat black over the brass). I have never seen another 607 for sale.

There's currently a 606 for sale on a UK classified ad site called Preloved, but the guy isn't prepared to ship it, even within the UK.

I've got my eyes pealed for a 907 Sovereign, but I think that they're super rare.

I agree that it plays beautifully, but sound-wise I prefer my Olds Super. The 607 is an easier play though. I prefer it to my old Yamaha YTR-632 that I no longer have.
B&H 607
Getzen 300
A6ST (Reynolds Variant)
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed a Boosey & Hawkes "Imperial 32" bell on an Olds Ambassador with a Josh Landress "floating" lead pipe.....damn it sounds good!!!!!!
nismology

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so what I can make of it:

NB: Click links for pictures of each instrument

Boosey and Hawkes 606 = Besson Crescendo
Designed in the 1960s using existing parts from Boosey and Hawkes' parts bins in an effort to make a trumpet on par with the professional level instruments being produced in the States. It was originally intended to be part of the 'Sovereign' line, and was cooked up by George Reynolds (LSO) and Denis Wick one morning in B&H's Edgware plant. Even though it was thought to be the best trumpet B&H had produced to date, it was decided that it was not quite what they were looking for in a 'flagship' trumpet, so it was renamed the '606' and remained in production until the 1980s. (Source)

Boosey and Hawkes 607 = Besson Concord
The 607 appears to be the successor/superior model to the 606, with an added 1st slide thumb saddle and the pinky hook change from a selmer-style one to a ring. These are even more scarce than the 606 with almost no information available online. If anyone has any catalogue scans of B&H or Besson catalogues from the 1970s and 1980s I'd be very interested to see them (if such a thing even exists!)

Associated models:
-Besson 600 (early models without tuning slide brace share the same valves)
-Boosey and Hawkes Sovereign Symphony Trumpet (very similar to the 607, but with different designs of pinky hook, thumb saddle and valve buttons.
-Boosey and Hawkes Sovereign Studio Trumpet (as above but with 1st valve trigger)

Having only played the 607, I can only vouch for this specific model, but it plays incredibly well with a very warm 'round' sound. I have never played such a responsive trumpet that is so easy to play. It slots beautifully and feels wonderfully open. In the hand it feels extremely comfortable and solid, while remaining fairly lightweight and well balanced. I would be very interested to try a Sovereign trumpet, to see how much 'better' it sounds and plays. Comparing pictures, the sovereign studio seem to share the mouthpiece receiver, leadpipe and valve block with the 606/607, with only differences in bracing/finger hook design, direction of 2nd slide angle and the addition of the trigger. I understand that the Sovereign Studio trumpet was designed by Dr Richard Smith (of Smith-Watkins fame).
B&H 607
Getzen 300
A6ST (Reynolds Variant)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: