• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thinking of learning again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JokinJoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Thinking of learning again Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I haven’t picked up a trumpet in almost 12 years. I played in high school and then quit. I would love to get back in it again, but I’m trying to see if there’s anything local like a band or something to keep me motivated. Also, I have an old Stradivarius that I haven’t taken care of in a decade and I probably need a new horn. Is there anything good to buy for around 5, 6, or $700?

Whenever I think back to school, I always think about music and the fun times I had in band. I still listen to classical and jazz music frequently. I would love to get in again, and actually get good at it. Thanks everyone.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking of learning again Reply with quote

JokinJoe wrote:
... I have an old Stradivarius that I haven’t taken care of in a decade and I probably need a new horn. Is there anything good to buy for around 5, 6, or $700?

You might consider spending a fraction of that 700, on some work on your old Stradivarius. You might end up with a better horn at a lower price.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
JokinJoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but the trumpet is bone dry and nothing moves 😂 I don’t know if there’s a way. I’ll consider having it looked at.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeing up the slides and valves of a trumpet that has sat for years without lubrication, is pretty routine stuff for a good brass instrument technician. You might be surprised at how little it can cost for a good cleaning and lubrication.

For music, I suggest you look up the local community bands. They are everywhere, and most of them are welcoming to players of all levels of experience.

Once you have a good working trumpet, and some people to play with, the sky is the limit!
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little tardy in joining in, but consider this:

I started back playing 4 years ago. My horns were stored for 14 years so probably not any worse off than yours. I got 2 up and running pretty quickly, but my 1971 Benge (I bought this new my 2nd year of College) was much worse than the other in that the valves looked pretty bad. I got a new Bach Strad about 2 years ago and my enthusiasm really jumped up quite a few rungs after playing what I considered the best horn I had ever played. I finally decided to get my old Benge worked on at the beginning of this year. I sent it to Jim Becker at Osmun for evaluation and work. I got a valve job and a new main tuning slide for much less than the cost of a new horn. My enthusiasm for playing has skyrocketed since getting it back. In specific performance situations, there is nothing better than playing this better than new horn.

You may find that getting your horn evaluated by a professional is the best path to getting your desire to play well back on track.

Best wishes,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
borickel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring the Strad back to life. You will not be disappointed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: