• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Questions about a specific note in a chet baker solo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanislawlem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Questions about a specific note in a chet baker solo Reply with quote

Greetings everybody, please refer to this particular chet baker song "tenderly" LINK IS AT THE BOTTOM now please listen to the short phrase composed by 4 notes played from 2:06 to 2:11, on a Bb trumpet I believe its G - Bb - E - F.

Now here is the deal, please excuse my very poor choice of words in the following attemps to describe those notes, I'm not a native english speaker:

The second note quality differs greatly from the first and specially third and fourth notes, it sounds kind of "duck like" to me, I'm find it very hard to describe to be honest, but the differende in timber is very clear to me, now the reason why I'm interested in this is the fact that this "duck like quality" in timber is everywhere and on esteroids in my playing, I've been studying for one year and a half.

Now the questions:

1. What is the word im looking for to describe this duck like quality?
2. Is this quality bad in your opinion? (It is to me)
3. How do you get rid of this quality on your playing? I know learning to play the trumpet is a very subjective path nonetheless, sharing your stories -if you have them - could be very informative.

Thanks in advance for your answers, best regards. Stanislaw lem
Link
[youtube][/youtube][/url]
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he bends the note
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
he bends the note

I think he's actually scooping up into the Bb, or possibly just a hint of a half-valve grace note A leading into the Bb.

Chet's tone is very distinctive; I think he gets that "airy" sound by moving the airstream around in the cup (rather than close to straight down the throat) - more turbulence w/low airspeed/volume seems to produce more "air" in the sound (see early Jack Sheldon, too).

I'm sure this creates all sorts of interesting tone inconsistencies...

Just a guess on my part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: