• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Beginner question: How long for my endurance to build up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brybry1234

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Beginner question: How long for my endurance to build up? Reply with quote

I'm a beginner, I rented a trumpet 3 weeks ago and have been playing every day for around 30mins. I rest as long as I play and take breaks. I'm just wondering how long it takes to build up to being able to practice for lets say 2 45 min sessions a day? I want to play and practice more (trumpets not my first instrument, i've gigged on drums and guitar), but i didn't realize that your lips get tired out so quickly! I try not to push past any tiredness because I want to avoid injury.

I can't even imagine doing a gig on this thing lol. How long did it take for you to build up enough endurance to do let's say a 3 45min set gig?
Quinn_Ander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! While I never played any gigs when I still played regularly, I found that practicing longer tended to increase the endurance that I had, though I would emphasize that the right balance of methods and techniques practiced is crucial. I would say that doing long tones, then maybe scales/fingering practices, then doing high register stuff helped me get used to playing for a long time.

I would say that slowly increasing the time that you practice, making sure you're keeping hydrated (which helps lip recovery), and regularly applying lip balm would all help as well. Also, as such a new player, it'll just take time for your endurance to build, so keep practicing!
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There I a way to practice that will allow much longer sessions. Even as a beginner. It will also benefit you as a player in the long run. But it takes discipline. Not hammering away at things you don't have the skill to play yet. (This applies for all players)
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't even been playing a month. Are you taking lessons from someone who knows what they're doing?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it like weight training. How long does it take to go from zero to bench pressing 250KG? It varies from person to person.

To try to force it is like shooting at yourself to grow taller, run faster etc. It's a journey, not a destination.

cheers

Andy
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner question: How long for my endurance to build up Reply with quote

brybry1234 wrote:

I can't even imagine doing a gig on this thing lol. How long did it take for you to build up enough endurance to do let's say a 3 45min set gig?

I don't want to discourage too much you by telling you the truthful answer to your question. You have great enthusiasm. Simply put, it's going to take you as long as it takes. For sure, you already know, that this is not days, weeks or months. It's a process that will easily take several years to advance to the point of playing for others with confidence and not embarrassing yourself. I hope you're getting lessons so that you can avoid pitfalls, and actually have a good chance at making it happen. Good luck.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay with the guitar. just kidding.
it will take a few years to build some endurance. along the way take a lesson or two from different people and see who is most effective.
when you pick a difficult instrument it takes patience and a long view of the process.
most instruments lend themselves to playing a difficult passage numerous times. if we do that we strain and run out of gas.
Satchmo101

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tough one to answer for myself as in my 50s and been playing since 6 yrs old, but I did have a full year off at one point so had to do some rebuilding.

I found that a great stamina builder for me was duets with my dad and other players. I guess any small group would do as one tends to have to play a greater percentage of the time. The reason - cos it's hopefully fun and enjoyable and one tends to push on for a bit longer to maintain the buzz.

Now I do a lot of shows and depping with brass bands but my main group is a fortnightly Big Band so I do have to think about keeping stamina up. My main way to do this is with Hal Leonard play alongs - jazz ballads is a good one. Again cos it is fun to try and improvise etc. I end up doing quite a long practise and it's not the sort of intense playing to begger my lip up.

One of my early band masters was Howard Snell (LSO Principal Trumpet) and he recommended careful use with a practise mute to build stamina - but warning I've overdone it with this and cut my lip up in the past. Use a Harmon now on hot nights to save the neighbours nerves

New to this forum so hope this might help

Probably going to get some terrible comments but what the hey, it's only the internet
Gawis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Trumpet beginner Reply with quote

I played trombone for a year, plays quite decent, though still amateur/hobbiest at community band level. I only had enthusiasm when started in public, people see when you new anyway, but some appreciate enthusiasm. However public performance, especially in a group sharpens you. As part of learning process I'm transcribing music, but need to play treble clef high pitch instrument as well to ensure notation accuracy. Been playing trumpet, mostly alto for two week as I can only reach the second c, though some days I get to eflat. I find it easy to reach high notes when slurring. I initially played with a mute to avoid awful noise being heard, but my sound is now clearer. In short I find it natural that endurance increases everyday, though I don't push high notes too much as I believe that too takes time whilst trying.
trumpet2012fhl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not saying one is easier/harder, but with guitar/drums it is more of a technique thing. Yes, your arms/fingers will get tired, but you're not literally building muscles that you almost never use. It takes time to work those muscles up. Work until they are tired, then be sure to give yourself plenty of time to rest them. The next time try to go 3-5 minutes longer. It will get there.
Love2play

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building endurance takes time. Be aware to rest as long as you play. Be aware of chop fatigue. Beating your chops into the ground does no good. Use a timer if you have to. It will eventually happen.
so what
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
There I a way to practice that will allow much longer sessions. Even as a beginner. It will also benefit you as a player in the long run. But it takes discipline. Not hammering away at things you don't have the skill to play yet. (This applies for all players)

Hi Darryl,
I don't suppose that you might be able to enlighten us that don't know about how to approach the discipline you are referring to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: