• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Alternative to top warburton 4M

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ximo_molina

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Alternative to top warburton 4M Reply with quote

Hi. I currently play with a Warburton 4M top, but I am looking for alternatives (maybe a little bigger ... but only a little, not as much as 4MD)
I was recommended to try monette 6, GR66M, Bob Reeves 43M, etc. some opinion of their experiences (bad and good).

Thanks!!
Carol Brass Toreador Bb
Bach C 239 Malone leadpipe
Yamaha631 flugel
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Stomvi Titán piccolo
Stomvi élite Eb
GR mouthpieces
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello I use to play 3M for many years and at some point I have try a Reeves 43M,for me the Reeves works much better and after 15 years I still play them.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Scott42486
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for clarification purposes: when you say you want to try something "bigger" do you mean a deeper cup or a wider diameter? Or do you just want something a little more open? If you like Warburton then there are solutions so you can make small adjustments rather than trying to figure out sizing on another brand.

Deeper: try a 4MC. It's literally right in the middle between the M and the MD.

Wider: there are two options. 1) 3M or 2) call/email and order a half-size piece. When asked, they can do a piece in between their normal diameters. You could ask for something between a 3 and 4.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Alternative to top warburton 4M Reply with quote

Quote:

I have to disagree with this statement! The "M" cup and the "MC" cup HAVE THE SAME CUP VOLUME. The DIFFERENCE between the two is the different shaped cups. The "M" has more of a "V" shape and the "MC" has a flat-bottomed bowl shape. In actuality, IMO, the "MC" feels shallower to me and would me MUCH easier to bottom out on opposed to the "M" cup.

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Ximo_molina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbering 4 is good for me. Yes, as he writes - the top 4mc feels more superficial to me than the 4m. I think the intermediate point between 4md and 4m is similar to a 3d bach or not as big as 3c
Carol Brass Toreador Bb
Yamaha631 flugel
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Stomvi Titán piccolo
Stomvi élite Eb
GR mouthpieces
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to top warburton 4M Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
Quote:

I have to disagree with this statement! The "M" cup and the "MC" cup HAVE THE SAME CUP VOLUME. The DIFFERENCE between the two is the different shaped cups. The "M" has more of a "V" shape and the "MC" has a flat-bottomed bowl shape. In actuality, IMO, the "MC" feels shallower to me and would me MUCH easier to bottom out on opposed to the "M" cup.

Butch

I have all of the 4 series tops. I've never measured them, but for me the 4MC feels deeper and gets a darker sound, and the 4M is brighter and feels shallower. It's easier for me to play high on the 4M and easier to play big on the 4MC. My son is currently using my 4MC top, so I use the 4MD for classical applications.

Keep in mind that with Warburtons, the backbore and how it matches up with the cup can make a big difference in the sound and feel. I use the 7* backbore with the 4M but that backbore never worked well with the 4MC for me, so with the 4 MC I used the 8 backbore, which is an excellent combination. With the 4MD, the 8 backbore doesn't slot well but the 7* works beautifully and gets a gorgeous tone.

And of course, everyone will get different results with different setups because we all have different physical features, so you just have to keep experimenting until something clicks.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative to top warburton 4M Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
Quote:

Butch

Hi,

In fairness, the Warburton website places the MC between the M and MD.

Certainly not trying to be confrontational here!

All the best
Ximo_molina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently I own 4SV, 4M, 4MC and 4MD. in the MD and M I have never had the sensation of touching the wall, but in the SV and MC if it has happened to me.
I only speak from my personal experience. Because of my tests, I have always seen the Warburton chart a bit imprecise in equivalences. (I do not want to offend anyone with this)
Carol Brass Toreador Bb
Yamaha631 flugel
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Stomvi Titán piccolo
Stomvi élite Eb
GR mouthpieces
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Arturo cup, maybe just a little bigger, also deeper with a great form. Wonderful cup in the 4 range.
Ximo_molina

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
a friend has lent me a monette silver 6, usually compare with warburton 4 top, but to me it seems smaller, like a top 5.

the first feeling when playing is really great, very comfortable, good air pass, better range, flexibility, everything complete! there is only one drawback, the intonation. I have a hard time keeping it stable, since the G note the intonation begins to rise significantly. Is that because I'm not used to playing with this type of backbores and throats? everything else is great ... if I knew that little by little the intonation would go to the site, it is a mouthpiece to take into consideration for me.
Carol Brass Toreador Bb
Yamaha631 flugel
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Stomvi Titán piccolo
Stomvi élite Eb
GR mouthpieces
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: alternative top to Warburton 4M Reply with quote

Hello all,
The OP might consider a 4MC. There are subtle differences between the new, the Lauderdale and say the Rodriguez model. I have all three and they are just too wide for me. I play the 5 series with various cups for venues/horns.
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 4M anchor grip in delrin feels roomier than a 4M.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to Stork, from Warburton, because I found a couple mouthpieces included with a horn I bought.

At that time I had been playing a Warburton 6 diameter, the Stork 10 size actually felt bigger, due to the inner rim contour, but miccs as smaller, more compatible with the Warburton 8. I tried the 8 and found it too small, but the Stork was juuuust right.

It is what I have played exclusively for 4 years.

I would urge anyone, give the Stork Studio Master lineup a try.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: