• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bundah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Yamaha Question Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I am a Bach player (72*) and have been for a very long time.
I have always been astounded at how easy Yamaha horns are to simply pick up and play - I find them very user friendly and consistent from day to day.
My question is; have they always been this way? Are the 1970's Yamaha horns as easy to play, consistent, top quality control etc as they later became? I have not played a Yammie earlier than their 6335 series and am looking to purchase a 7 series, so am after some info.

Thanks in advance
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Mouthpieces and valve alignments
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only experience with an older Yamaha than that wasn't very positive. I thought it played fairly easily but the tone and intonation left a lot to be desired. There is a reason Bach had such a stranglehold on the orchestral world. HAD. Yamaha trumpets are everywhere now and for damn good reasons.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
Trombacan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience has been pre 1980's somewhat hit and miss but since then they have been among the best horns I have played. Yamaha feature front and centre in the horns I take to work everyday.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Yamaha question Reply with quote

My only experience playing Yamaha was way over 20 years ago and they handed me what is now the 2320 student horn to try. Nice horn, great sound
for a beginner to learn on and well constructed. Now, getting back into playing and reading everything I can and checking YouTube for videos one can see that quality control is a huge thing at Yamaha. And while it is no criticism of Bach, it is significant, I think, to note that 4 of the top orchestral players in the world now play and have played Yamaha for quite a while. Hooten, Martin, Hagstrom, and Bilger. There are not doubt others, too.
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, Yamaha has always made a quality product. For me, their offerings for the past 15 years or so are fantastic. (To be fair, I do not own any Yamaha trumpets, only an old Eb cornet from the 70's-80's)

Around 2001, Bob Malone joined the Yamaha team, and their trumpets have been getting better and better. I played a 9335NYSII recently, and was blown away by how easy it was to play with a great sound.

The best info you can get on a trumpet is to play it and see if it works for you.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the 70's Yamaha trumpets were less than stellar in all respects. I had a high school student back in about 1974 that owned a Yamaha trumpet, and it was a real piece of crap, playing wise. It was in good shape, not beat up. She learned to cope with it as her family couldn't afford anything else, and I believe that they had gotten it used for her when she wanted to be in band.

On the other hand, I presently own a Conn director cornet made by Yamaha from 1970 that is a really nice playing instrument. I use it a lot.

Go figure...
Bach37

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Yamaha Eb in 1977. It was great.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many years I played a Yamaha 232 as a backup trumpet. It was built in the early 1970s. It was a surprisingly good instrument and very easy to play.

I have a Yamaha 751 D trumpet, also from the early 1970s. It sounds good, but it's difficult to play. It requires effort and manipulation to play in tune. I have to spend quality time with it to get good results. I don't know if it's just this particular example or typical of this model and era.

I have a 6310z Bobby Shew model that's easy to play. It does require some acclimation to understand how hard to blow to get the right projection and sound quality to blend with an ensemble, but it isn't physically difficult to play.

And I have a Xeno 8335II that's very easy to play--the easiest of the bunch. Quick, even response, nice range of sound colors, easy to play in tune (though it doesn't play itself), can be played softly or project like crazy. It does require some acclimation, mostly to unlearn manipulation habits acquired while playing other trumpets but also to dial in the right amount of projection for the ensemble.
Piccolo Stomvi
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
I have a Yamaha 751 D trumpet, also from the early 1970s. It sounds good, but it's difficult to play. It requires effort and manipulation to play in tune. I have to spend quality time with it to get good results. I don't know if it's just this particular example or typical of this model and era..

I once had a 761 from the mid 70's and I had the same issue. But I did play test a 6610 a couple years ago that was much easier. Not 9636 easier, but definitely better than that old 761.

I had a student come in to a lesson with one of the Schilke clone horns.. a B3 or X3 copy, I don't recall which. It played fairly well and sounded good. I think the older ones just need to be vetted before purchase.
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an older Schilke-style Yamaha cornet that was outstanding.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 738, and it's a great horn.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year ago I played a 734 that was offered to me by an acquaintance. It had belonged to her deceased Husband many years ago. It seemed to be a good player for my short test drive. Having more Bb Trumpets than I can play with any regularity, I suggested that she pass it on to her children as a potential legacy horn for her grandchildren, especially since they probably don't remember their Grandpaw. I did however take her up on her offer of another horn, a basically new Getzen Flugelhorn with great valves that wasn't even broken in yet.

I bought a new 6335S back in 1984 that was and is still an incredibly versatile player. I used it most often while playing in Latin Bands and Big Bands. It is still my lead horn of choice, right behind my newly refurbed (valve job) 1971 Benge! I really love all of my horns or I wouldn't still have them. I would probably own another Yamaha if I needed another trumpet depending on the requirement.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
jazztrumpet216
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha 734 and I love it. It’s a fantastic horn, especially for the money. Tunes well, sounds great. It’s my school horn so I use it when I teach, but I have taken it on gigs and received many compliments on how I sound. I wouldn’t hesitate to make it my main horn if my Bachs weren’t awesome too.

1940 NY Bach 7/37 — 2009 Bach Philadelphia C — 1972 Bach 37/Melk #3 — 1969 Yamaha 734 — 1961 Mt. Vernon Bach 43 — 2013 Schilke P5-4 B/G — 1990's Getzen Eterna flugel
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha has always been good. I had a friend bring me a 6335 w/a cracked bell ring - trashed. I had an old 737 parts horn in the closet, stripped the silver from the bell and put it on the newer body. Played great. That old alloy they used does deteriorate - there were small pink spots all over the 737 bell.
https://yourbrass.com/
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve always thought their pro horns were good, and consistent. The student horns today, though, not so much, in my opinion. I have MANY students who rent them, the valves especially are usually not great. And that’s taking into consideration that kids never clean them, don’t oil nearly enough and are in general tough on instruments.

Brad
bundah

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks for all the replies!
I have decided to take a punt on the old 732 - at the very least it should make a very good back up horn anyway.
Cheers!
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Mouthpieces and valve alignments
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha trumpets have ALWAYS been great, even BEFORE they were "Yamaha." I bought a new "old" NIKKAN trumpet, the precursor of what later became Yamaha, and it plays amazingly well.....
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I’ve always thought their pro horns were good, and consistent. The student horns today, though, not so much, in my opinion. I have MANY students who rent them, the valves especially are usually not great. And that’s taking into consideration that kids never clean them, don’t oil nearly enough and are in general tough on instruments.

Brad

I have a 2330 made in china, being a beginner myself, and I find it a very well built horn. The thing about the valves is that they are made in monel, and they require frequent oiling. If you don't oil them say about every 20 minutes of playing, the become sticky and draggy. And clean the casing at least once a week. If you do this you'll have a smooth action.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Bone wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

I have a 2330 made in china, being a beginner myself, and I find it a very well built horn. The thing about the valves is that they are made in monel, and they require frequent oiling. If you don't oil them say about every 20 minutes of playing, the become sticky and draggy. And clean the casing at least once a week. If you do this you'll have a smooth action.

Your symptoms are not due to the pistons being monel. It is more likely that the valves are poorly fitted or you need a different valve oil.
Walter Bone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Your symptoms are not due to the pistons being monel. It is more likely that the valves are poorly fitted or you need a different valve oil.

Yeah it might be. It's not a problem to me anyway, if I do that the horn works fine. I use it for practice and I just oil it during pauses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: