• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Valve Cleaning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
JoeLoeffler wrote:
Why do all of these valve parts need to be shiny - particularly to sell horns? I am certainly less interested in horns that have “suspiciously shiny” parts on them. (Shiny inside slide tubes, valve windways, etc.) Keep your horns clean. Let the parts be oxidized the way they naturally get in normal (well-maintained) use. It will be fine. Go practice.

Because, you don't chrome plate brass instruments!

Yeah! Want 'em to look just like the bumpers on a 1950 Chevy!
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
I wanted it to remove the buildup from the valve oil I had been using and it did that. It also brightened up the bare brass of the port tubes and spring barrels a bit.

I don't believe you. Vinegar does not remove grease and oil since it is not a degreaser. Your chemistery teacher from high school will explain to you a second time: Back to the drawing board mr. Shofarguy

The brightening up is caused by the fact that vineger is an acid and mind you, it is not as innocent as you might think...
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:

...I think any good degreaser will do...

Thanks for your suggestion! The Simple Green did the trick, so no need for a more aggressive product this time. I'll keep the acetone suggestion in my bag of tricks for any future need though.

Kindest regards,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:

...I think any good degreaser will do...

Thanks for your suggestion! The Simple Green did the trick, so no need for a more aggressive product this time. I'll keep the acetone suggestion in my bag of tricks for any future need though.

Kindest regards,

Mike

Cool!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
I wanted it to remove the buildup from the valve oil I had been using and it did that. It also brightened up the bare brass of the port tubes and spring barrels a bit.

I don't believe you. Vinegar does not remove grease and oil since it is not a degreaser. Your chemistery teacher from high school will explain to you a second time: Back to the drawing board mr. Shofarguy

The brightening up is caused by the fact that vineger is an acid and mind you, it is not as innocent as you might think...

I don't need you to believe me. What I didn't write this time is that one of these valves of mine was worn out and I tried synthetic Tromba valve oil. It caused a build up on all three of what I assume was silicone. It caused them all to stick. Degreasers would not remove it. The vinegar did.

Zig Kanstul made brass instruments for 60 years and was revered in the industry all over the world. He was my friend. I like to think I was his friend, too.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

throw this out there if anyone is interested. simple green has a product, simple green aircraft cleaner or to that effect, that is great with grease, good for automotive cleaning, getting asphalt off car paint and so forth. non acidic in nature and not nasty getting some on the skin.
one of my go-to cleaners in the shop. might work on recalcitrant piston valves.
we also keep 'aero-kroil' around, a spray automotive penetrant and the best IMO in that category way beyond WD and PB. nasty. i would personally spray a monel valve with one followed by a rinse within 15 minutes and might be tempted to use it inside the horn depending on how annoying a problem came up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: