• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blood Pressure Medication

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Blood Pressure Medication Reply with quote

I am new to taking blood pressure regulating medication. Since I have started I haven't noticed too much of an issue with my playing, but as of late it seems that my endurance especially above the staff is shot. I have also started getting feelings of lightheadness while playing.

Anyone here take BP meds and have issues or ideas to help???

Thanks
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took Lisinopril for quite a few years. My chops swelled more than usual after a while. It got to the point that 20 minutes of playing would make them swell. I talked to my MD and we ended up switching to Losartan.

It has worked out better. Keep track of it and don’t be afraid to talk to your doctor about alternatives.

Pete
dbisles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Beta Blockers and horn players Reply with quote

I`ve been on BP meds for 10 years. My lightheadness will happen even without playing. (playing makes the side effects of the meds a lot more intense).

The side effects mellow me out to much, so I carefully take only BP meds when I need to. (daily monitoring) I notice numbness in my hands and get that out of body feeling if I`m doing a long horn session say 1 1/2 hours.

I still get a little above High C Playing horn, but the BP meds do things to the blood flow to limit our strength. So yeah, you won`t have the same endurance you once had and your range will drop a few notes. I used to do double G and A consistently, but now I limit myself to high D to F. No need to blow those blood vessels in the brain. I try to relax more than others between playing time.

A good benefit from re-starting playing horn again is my heart arrhythmia
has gone away. My ECG is great, vocal ability is much stronger, I feel stronger overall after playing and daily life has improved.

I am so glad I picked it up again (senior now), I quit playing after high school in the 80`s.

What does work for me is adding a few more gaps in my playing time, I usually play long pieces averaging 6-10 minutes, very legato, things similar to classical. I am liking to play about 45 minutes on, then 20-40 minutes off.
My breaks are slightly longer and I tend to play several times throughout the evening, not just in 1 go for it all session.

I mainly do studio sessions, so I`m not on a heavy concert schedule that is to demanding. All those buzzing and breathing exercises get done in my car while I`m traveling to/from work. By the time I get home, I`m more than warmed up, ready for a solid evening of recording.

Love playing the horn and recording. BP meds are not slowing me down, age does that. Playing makes me younger, my wife says I have that glimmer in my eyes and a smile on my face.

Most of my music friends tell me I have never sounded better, but that might be my 56 Mendez I recently acquired a few months ago. I use the "Yamaha YAC EM1S Eric Miyashiro Trumpet Mouthpiece" with it.
It seems to be easier to maintain endurance in the upper register with my Mendez. The lower register sounds full and sweet.

There are cases where BP meds change your playing style in a good way.
I am definitively so much more relaxed. That is noticed by those who listen.

Good luck, don`t fight the changes BP meds will introduce. Relax more, enjoy your time playing, play who you are.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started taking BP meds during my 14 year layoff from playing. I have been taking Lisinopril daily for about 6 years (back playing 4 years). BP meds have been "the lay of the land" since coming back, so I don't really notice anything out of the ordinary. No lightheadedness, no weakness, no current endurance problems and I play some really long regular engagements, often beyond 4 hours with warm-up, sound check, rehearsal and performances in a single day. I take advantage of every opportunity to take rests as much as possible.

I don't want playing to ever turn into "work" again, so I try to keep playing in perspective so that doesn't happen again. Life is short.

Best wishes,

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
gjarrell
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try some CoQ10. I do 400 mg a day.
amzi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The generic term "BP medication" is essentially meaningless in discussing this issue. Another's experience with their "BP medication" is similarly meaningless in this situation. Why? Because different medication's used to control hypertension can function in different ways. Therefore my medication is likely to effect me differently than it would effect you. Therefore you need to discuss this with your cardiologist or internist. Together, you and your physician(s) should be able to identify a medication regime that will effectively control your hypertension without significantly impairing your trumpet playing.
Bach Stradivarius Bass Trumpet
Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
Yamaha 610 Eb/D Trumpet
Kanstul 920 Picc.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello

yes, you should identify the causes of your hypertension. Don't fight the symptoms that only indicate there's a problem and are a natural way of the body taking care of it.
Solve the causes, don't kill the messengers

I can't talk here about some solutions, just can suggest you to go and see a doctor or health pro that will give your more natural and efficient solutions without adverse effects.
Remember : primo, non nocere

good luck,
best
MusicByThePound

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is some BP meds have diuretics mixed in and some do not.

You might want to see if yours does included a diuretic and talk to your Dr. about one that does not. The diuretic could be the cause of your lightheadedness and endurance issue.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Blood Pressure Medication Reply with quote

I have been on two to help with blood pressure since having a stent put in on Memorial Day. I had the day off of work, wasn't doing anything and decided to have a minor heart attack. I am now back on Lisinopril and that one can give you dry throat symptoms and eventually, (as I took it years ago) it can cause dizziness. I haven't noticed it affecting practice, but it is worth monitoring. I was on Lisinopril for perhaps 2 1/2 years and one evening at work it just made me dizzy and continued to do so for a couple day. Good Luck with your BP med and your playing.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: