• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Teeth position at placement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Teeth position at placement Reply with quote

Hi All --

Although my upper and lower teeth are apart when I play, I've discovered, quite by accident, that if I keep my upper and lower teeth together when I place my mouthpiece, I get a better four-legged, "sweet spot" placement that keeps my "letter M" in place and helps my mouth-corner inhalation. I can't recall Doc or Dave saying anything about this to me, nor do I see anything in my lesson notes or the Encyclopedia about it. Can anyone shed some light on this?
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Teeth position at placement Reply with quote

Type3B wrote:
Hi All --

Although my upper and lower teeth are apart when I play, I've discovered, quite by accident, that if I keep my upper and lower teeth together when I place my mouthpiece, I get a better four-legged, "sweet spot" placement that keeps my "letter M" in place and helps my mouth-corner inhalation. I can't recall Doc or Dave saying anything about this to me, nor do I see anything in my lesson notes or the Encyclopedia about it. Can anyone shed some light on this?

In my notebook of Reinhardt hand-outs and individually typed pages he said many times to "keep the teeth just as close together as a good sound will permit." If during the placement process you keep them together and then when you commence to play they shift to a "sweet spot" by themselves, it doesn't sound to me like that would hurt your playing.

A good long test period (incubation period?) ought to let you know if your discovery is what's really right for you. Keep us posted.

As you know, some people play with "clenched" teeth and they have excellent results. We're all so different . . . I can't play that way (trust me, I've tried it) but I may experiment with setting up that way just for fun, and I'll keep you posted.

Type3B
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rich. A pronouncement from Doc is exactly what I was looking for! I've continued to experiment with this "closed teeth" set up with good success. My guess is that another thing it does is keep me from dropping my jaw when I set up and inhale. I'll be interested to hear how it works (or doesn't work) for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: