• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Recording Cornet question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lambchop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Olds Recording Cornet question Reply with quote

I recently obtained an Olds Recording cornet and found it improved my playing a lot in the mid range, but it is not very resonant on low notes below Bb below the staff and especially F# is pretty bad. I'm wondering if this is a characteristic tradoff, or is it the result of my horn being sort of worn and not the greatest valve compression? Another factor is that it had a section of the bell tubing replaced near the lower part of the bend which I wonder if that has an effect?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all horns are equal but my bet is lousy valve compression.
Love2play

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that horn. A way to check valve compression is to remove the first valve slide. Press all the valves down at once with your right hand. Cover the bottom tube with the thumb of your left hand and gently blow into the receiver. If it backs up and does not allow you to blow air the valve compression is good. If it allows air to pass through the valves might be worn and that might be causing your problem. Hope this helps.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play to the valve block. Blow as if to just have your effort reach the pistons, rather than blowing thru to the bell.

The Recording cornet gives a gorgeous sound, but it requires your care in developing and controlling the pitch. This is not easy for me.

My two cents is that this is partly due to the relatively short leadpipe. Wby do I say this? Because I have the same pitch challenge above the first-line A with the Olds R5 as with the Conn Connquest 76A, a close copy of that wrap.

I have no such challenge with the Conn Victor 5A. That and the 76A look almost identical. But they differ in the length of tubing up front.

To say this another way, think of it like a flugelhorn rather than a trumpet.
lambchop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insights. I haven't progressed to the point of checking intonation of notes above the staff yet, but maybe I'll get the tuner out.
I think it is interesting about the Conns with the similar wrap. The Conn Director is reminiscent of that wrap also and I'm impressed with those after getting one for real cheap, although not in the class of the recording. The valves were good on that one and it had pretty good lows.

I did do that compression test which is how I decided it had not to good compression. Maybe I should make a leakdown tester for horns like they have for engines, then I could quantify it better.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played an Olds Recording cornet for some 65 years, and never had any problem with anything from lowest pedals to G above double C (not saying it sounds great, but no worse than when anyone else plays it). Why not give the horn a good cleaning, a rebuild kit, check the valve alignment (you can find DIY instructions online), fresh oil and grease, and then try the compression test again? If it's still not satisfactory, it's probably time to let a good tech check it out. That model's not deficient in the low range.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve alignment can cause this kind of problem too.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and there is no issue at all with the way it plays. There is an issue with one of two things: the OP's particular cornet, or the OP's playing.

Seeing as there are replaced bits on the cornet, I suspect it's not really anything but a clapped out instrument, with some less than stellar repairs. Time to get one in good condition, or send it off to a good tech.

cheers

Andy
lambchop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChopsGone wrote:
I've played an Olds Recording cornet for some 65 years, and never had any problem with anything from lowest pedals to G above double C (not saying it sounds great, but no worse than when anyone else plays it). Why not give the horn a good cleaning, a rebuild kit, check the valve alignment (you can find DIY instructions online), fresh oil and grease, and then try the compression test again? If it's still not satisfactory, it's probably time to let a good tech check it out. That model's not deficient in the low range.

Thanks for confirming that. The valve alignment looks good. Valve 1 has lost an appreciable amount of nickel plating, valve 2 has a bit gone, and valve 3 looks pretty good. I think the design makes it hard to clean with the leadpipe making a sharp turn and going into valve 1. Thats why valve 1 had a hard time I bet.
lambchop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
I have one and there is no issue at all with the way it plays. There is an issue with one of two things: the OP's particular cornet, or the OP's playing.

Seeing as there are replaced bits on the cornet, I suspect it's not really anything but a clapped out instrument, with some less than stellar repairs. Time to get one in good condition, or send it off to a good tech.

cheers

Andy

Thanks. You have a point about my playing, since my low notes don't meet my expectations lately, so that could partly be a factor, but I do get better lows from some other horns so I think it may be time to look for a nicer Olds Recording.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: