• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Energy and Power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Energy and Power Reply with quote

Have you ever considered that sound, as in the tone that transmits from the trumpet when played, has an amount of energy? Or more specifically, the flow of energy at any instant is the power of the sound. ( as in some quantity such as watts)

That being the case, have you considered the source of that power? And that the source MUST supply, at least, that amount of power?
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

Or more to the point, this is something I teach: that one must put energy into their playing in order to get sound out as sound needs an energy source.

Translating that into making a sound on a brass instrument, I work with kids to put the energy into their air flow rather than left arm, screwing up their face, and all the normal contortions one sees. I also ask them to use some energy to hold the face still...

For those that listen and need to redirect their efforts it seems to work... (actually practicing does as well)

cheers

Andy
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy. Thanks solo soprano.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic. I'm assuming that you aren't speaking about the intensity of sound, or decibels. It would seem like to produce any amount of sound would require some amount of power. Playing very softly requires a certain amount of energy, which shouldn't be underestimated. Volume and register would seem to regulate how much power is needed. The source? A combination of factors that we need to provide, that need to be properly balanced in order to produce the desired sound.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yell HEY! as loud as you can.

That's energy.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original post mentioned energy and power. Sound engery, sound power, sound intensity, and sound pressure (popularly measured in "decibels"), are four very different things, and cannot be equated. They are inter-related, but they are different quantities, with different units. Sound power is measured in watts (W), sound intensity is in watts per square meter (W/m²), pressure in pascals (Pa), [but commonly converted to decibels of sound pressure (dB SPL)], and sound energy is in joules (J). There is no equivalence between these quantities.

When a value is cited in simple decibels (dB), it typically refers to sound pressure level, NOT intensity, NOT power, and NOT energy.

I know I've been attacked in PMs for suggesting this, but if you try to equate one of these quantities with another, then you're not basing the discussion on the physics of the real world. If everyone has their own personal "definition", then there is little common ground for discussion.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:
The original post mentioned energy and power. Sound engery, sound power, sound intensity, and sound pressure (popularly measured in "decibels"), are four very different things, and cannot be equated. They are inter-related, but they are different quantities, with different units. Sound power is measured in watts (W), sound intensity is in watts per square meter (W/m²), pressure in pascals (Pa), [but commonly converted to decibels of sound pressure (dB SPL)], and sound energy is in joules (J). There is no equivalence between these quantities.

When a value is cited in simple decibels (dB), it typically refers to sound pressure level, NOT intensity, NOT power, and NOT energy.

I know I've been attacked in PMs for suggesting this, but if you try to equate one of these quantities with another, then you're not basing the discussion on the physics of the real world. If everyone has their own personal "definition", then there is little common ground for discussion.

This post is absolutely on the money!
lambchop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm55 wrote:

Agree, but the OP did not make any wrong equivalences, he is considering energy and power as the flow of energy. Oh, I guess you mean later talk about power and sound intensity.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the OP made the distinction between energy and power. Another post seemed to equate pressure ("decibels") with intensity. In the absence of further clarification, "decibels" is usually taken to mean sound pressure, not intensity. And of course, in other threads, it's very popular to scramble air volume (m³), air velocity (m/s), air flow (m³/s for volume flow; kg/s for mass flow), and air pressure (Pa).
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am the guilty party so off to the pillory I go. However, anticipating that I would misuse yet another word, I decided to look up the word " decibel ". Apparently, both sources I used misdefined the word as well. So it was sound pressure being measured by the police when the neighbors complained about my practicing?

BTW, what actually causes damage to our hearing then?
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And of course, in other threads, it's very popular to scramble air volume (m³), air velocity (m/s), air flow (m³/s for volume flow; kg/s for mass flow), and air pressure (Pa).

Many times the intent is known but an inaccurate term is used. For example, air "volume" is used when attempting to describe flow. But in other cases, the intent is difficult to decipher. Example: "air speed" is used to describe air pressure or air flow.

It is interesting how some insist on using the term "volume" to describe flow. Apparently, this is something that has become a part of popular "trumpet-speak" lingo. Inaccurately used by several. Including some well-known players/teachers and one trumpet-maker that really should know better.

Last edited by kalijah on Wed May 31, 2023 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note decibel, i.e. one-tenth of a Bel, is meaningless without context. For voltage or current dB = 20 * log10(V2/v1); for power dB = 10 * log10(P2/p1), and so forth. Sometimes you see dBV, dBW, dBm (milliwatts), and such but you can apply the "dB equation" to many things. Generally for audio when you hear "dB" people mean dB SPL as seen on an SPL meter, thus SPL = Sound Pressure Level is pressure measured in Pascals and expressed in dB relative to a minimum pressure reference, normally 20 micro-Pascals in air.

HTH - Don
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
Have you ever considered that sound, as in the tone that transmits from the trumpet when played, has an amount of energy? Or more specifically, the flow of energy at any instant is the power of the sound. ( as in some quantity such as watts)

That being the case, have you considered the source of that power? And that the source MUST supply, at least, that amount of power?

I would consider the source of that power to be the muscles of forced expiration (internal intercostals, rectus abdominus, obliques and a few others) which provide the air pressure necessary for tone production to occur. Delving deeper, one could cite the source of the power as being the three different ways muscles provide energy for contraction:

A) Direct phosphorylation for the first 15 seconds of muscle contraction (no oxygen used).

B) Anaerobic pathway (Glycolysis) for the next 30 to 40 seconds of muscle contraction (no oxygen used).

C) Aerobic pathway (Cellular Respiration) which can last for hours (and uses oxygen).

Regarding the fact that the power source must supply at least the amount of power being used - of course. I would argue that the power source must supply more than that which is required due to compensate for the power lost due to inherent inefficiencies (example: the power supplied by the abdominal muscles will be partially used to compress the viscera between them and the lungs).

I'm not sure how considering this would help one be a better player, except perhaps by reinforcing the fact that to be a good trumpet player with good sound, range and endurance, one needs to develop the required muscles (and of course the necessary coordination).

Cheers,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The muscles do provide the force to increase ( or decrease) the lung air pressure but the effort required varies depending upon how much air is in the lungs at any instant. But the muscles of exhalation and inhalation, by concious action, do control the air pressure amount while playing.

But pressure is not power.

Pressure is actually "energy density". That is, energy = pressure x volume. (And by volume I do mean volume. As in m**3 or liter.)

Power is energy/ time or energy change/time.

so then; power = pressure x volume/time

and therefore; power = pressure x flow

THAT, pressure x flow, is the total power that a player applies to playing at any instant. But not all of that power becomes sound power. (Also notice that air "speed" is not what defines power)

Also, the "lost" power is primarily due to the air flow resistance that is encountered BEFORE the instrument. That includes ANY resistance from the lungs up to and including the apperture.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rectus abdominus ? that's american latin

To be more precise, all energetical pathways are involved whatever the effort; only the ratio of their involvement varies depending on the intensity of the effort.
So, even for a maximal effort of 7 seconds, the aerobic way in involved. Not as much as anaerobic pathway, of course, but it's involved.

I think, John, my english is as correct as your "abdominus"
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
Rectus abdominus ? that's american latin

To be more precise, all energetical pathways are involved whatever the effort; only the ratio of their involvement varies depending on the intensity of the effort.
So, even for a maximal effort of 7 seconds, the aerobic way in involved. Not as much as anaerobic pathway, of course, but it's involved.

I think, John, my english is as correct as your "abdominus"

Regarding the shared involvement, yes of course. I was just trying to keep it simple.

And yes, you have me on the spelling. Abdominis. Now my turn: the term is "English" (capitalized). But that said, your abilities with the English language are a quantum leap beyond my French capabilities. N'est-ce pas? (And yes, I had to look that up to make sure I spelled it correctly.)

https://youtu.be/DAbX-M0Sbn8?t=51s
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're too much fair-play.
Not only "English" instead of "english" was wrong, but the syntax is almost everytime wrong too !
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, great !
The legend has changed one Pierre de Coubertin's sentence in "The most important thing is to participate"
Let's speak foreign languages, everyone with his own possibilities and talent

best
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: