• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tracing horns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablopiccasso
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Tracing horns Reply with quote

Is there anyway of finding out if a particular horn was owned by a specific artist. Who owned which Martin committee etc etc
Usedtobegood
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think this is difficult to do unless you have some type of certified documentation or first hand knowledge by a reputable person/dealer that the instrument was owned by so and so. Someone like Josh Landress who has several instruments owned by Dizzy, Clark Terry and others. I would trust Josh has done his homework and that the information is true and accurate.

If the artist is still alive, then I guess you could verify with them. Funny I can't remember what I had for breakfast, but I can remember the serial numbers of old horns I have owned!

Some companies like Bach and Schilke have records that indicate who the horns were originally sold to and you could contact them.

Funny story, I once owned a Schilke that had a previous owner's social security number scribed into the inside of the bottom valve caps! Back in the 60's I guess it didn't matter, but now I wouldn't recommend it.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Tracing Horns Reply with quote

In the case of Benge. Mr. Joe Lill has websites up and has the history of some of the numbers recorded. I was able to find out some of the history of mine after contacting him. Sometimes just contacting the manufacturer will work. I know Kanstul and Getzen are easy to ask for help that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: