• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Magic Springs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Royal Lancer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Magic Springs Reply with quote

Just wanted to share a little story with all you gear enthusiasts. I recently purchased a high quality instrument from a very well known maker. The founder of this company was on the committee that developed the much sought after Committee.

Back to the story. I purchased this instrument brand new and was extremely excited to get it. After a few days of testing the horn and putting it through its paces, I was disappointed with the valve action. One of the valves stuck intermittently and all three had a lot of spring chatter. I called the manufacturer, who was very helpful, and sent the horn back to have my concerns addressed. Within the week the horn was returned to me, all issues being remedied except for the chattering valves.

A couple of days later I was talking to Steve Winans (a.k.a., Doctor Valve) about the restoration of a Martin Committee that he had just completed for me. We were discussing the valves on my Committee because I was having issues with them as well. Because Steve had not redone the valves on this instrument as part of the restoration, he never really checked them out carefully. The horn had the dreaded Committee distortion, caused by replacement springs that are too strong for the lightly braced horn. I was also telling him about my new instrument and my dissatisfaction with the chattering valves.

Steve said he would send me two sets of his magic valve springs, one set for the new horn and one for the Committee. After getting the springs, I installed them on both horns. I was hugely impressed with the way that they worked in the new horn, as well as the Committee. They felt softer than the original springs in the new horn but were smoother and faster. In the Committee, the low-end distortion all but disappeared.

The moral of the story is, every little thing on an instrument makes a difference. I highly recommend that if any of you are having issues like the ones I described, contact Steve Winans (Dr. Valve) and get some of the magic valve springs for your favorite horn.

Jack
'07 Lawler C7 Deluxe
'01 Scodwell
'75 Olds Custom
'73 Getzen Severinsen
'67 Bach Stradavarius
'63 Martin Committee
'54 Contempora Trumpet (LB)
'53 Contempora Trumpet
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a fast and simple way to soften springs, take a look at this.

https://flipoakes.com/softening-springs/
760-643-1501

Delivering the distinctive Wild Thing Sound since 1994
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flip is right
Not surprising:)

the mismatch of spring tension that ruins some committees (under water sounding burbly wobbly weird low and mid register when playing fast) also shows up on connstellations. With those if they are too light OR too soft its gets weird. I have found that stock yamaha springs and top felts fix a connstellation real good. The yamaha top felts are too thick so you need the appropriate washer under the button to align. worth the effort.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: