• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"A Little Night Music" musical

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: "A Little Night Music" musical Reply with quote

Anyone familiar with this show? How extensive / involved is the trumpet book?

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: "A Little Night Music" musical Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Anyone familiar with this show? How extensive / involved is the trumpet book?

I played it almost 20 years ago. I remember it being a very easy book, but that was a long time ago. I'm sure someone that played it more recently can be more helpful than I! It's a fun show, the music is beautiful.
pmadsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played it 7 years ago. Kind of a sleeper. Nothing very demanding in the trumpet book. Very extended dialog sections.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been too long to remember much but I did a two week run of Night Music followed immediately by a two-week run on Into the Woods. For Night Music they hired the strings from a chamber group of a local university who played gloriously. I don't recall getting too beat up on Night Music, certainly not compared to the blow that was Into the Woods.

FWIW I LOVE all things Sondheim, and A Little Night Music was a joy to play. This is a string-centric show, lots of 3/4 waltz-time, no heavy rhythm or loud playing.

If I think of it I'll try to dredge up more specifics later tonight.

From Wikipedia:
"The score for A Little Night Music has elements not often found in musical theater, presenting challenges for performers, with complex meters, pitch changes, polyphony, and high notes for both males and females. The difficulty is heightened when songs merge, as in "Now"/"Later"/"Soon", because all three have to be performed in the same key, limiting the ability to pick a comfortable key for each singer. Critic Rex Reed noted that "The score of 'Night Music' ...contains patter songs, contrapuntal duets and trios, a quartet, and even a dramatic double quintet to puzzle through. All this has been gorgeously orchestrated by Jonathan Tunick; there is no rhythm section, only strings and woodwinds to carry the melodies and harmonies aloft."[33]"
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Little Night Music
MTI 1973
Scored for two trumpets with a combined trumpet 1/2 book
Scored for 3 Horns all of which are fairly important
Straight mute
Highest note is second leger line C
Where possible (which was often) I covered Horn 3 on flugel but had to write the parts in myself since to book didn't provide many cues. About half my playing was Horn parts.
Lots of waltzes in 1
Some quick mute changes
#4 "Now" has some tricky figures that I needed to practice
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Charles - that looks very similar to the show notes I keep!

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Thanks, Charles - that looks very similar to the show notes I keep!

I assure you that is not an accident. I always enjoy reading your notes.

I wish I had followed your model and kept such good notes when I started in musical theater.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: