• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

isolating the embouchure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: isolating the embouchure Reply with quote

i will attempt to explain this properly. this is from 'breath articulation' in john daniel's special studies. the idea is coordination of mind breath and setting the embouchure, blowing notes without a tongue stroke and its resulting air stream.
you hear the note in your head, put a little air into the instrument, and need to have the precise embouchure for that pitch to properly produce sound.
as i work through this material there is initially extra muscular effort in setting the chops in the high register, and subsequently less muscular work once you can blow the pitch. this is a familiar phenomenon for us. it encourages ongoing and steady high register progress as well as accuracy in every register.
i can see that whisper notes and such would have a similar effect and results.
this business has been a great study so far with daily progress and weekly progress and works quite well to begin to access range.
there have to be a bunch of methods along similar lines.
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand
borickel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like this is a technique that relies on an aspect of visualization, which I think is great.

However, since one must hear a pitch in their mind before continuing, I'd say this is a more advanced technique since mastering pitches takes much practice.

Brad
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

borickel wrote:
I feel like this is a technique that relies on an aspect of visualization, which I think is great.

However, since one must hear a pitch in their mind before continuing, I'd say this is a more advanced technique since mastering pitches takes much practice.

Brad

mr. perfect pitch here. it is as you say somewhat advanced depending on how you perform the exercise. for all the work in the daniel book i have a keyboard right there so i can get the pitch in my ear before blowing.
it is equally or more getting the timing of the soft air stream at the same time as forming the embouchure by muscle memory. having the pitch in your head immensely helps the process.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wohlrab wrote:
Not sure I understand

there is no sense in mystifying something that is simple.
blow a second line G mf without tonguing the note. mr. daniel starts you with a series of these quarter notes, note, rest, note, rest, 8 total notes.
going through the series of exercises and getting toward the high register really challenges you in being to form the correct embouchure.
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post man. Others find similar results in lip or “poo” attacks. I like to do the breath, then lip, then toungue attack on a note that I miss. Seems to familiarize the lips with the pitch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: