• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Posting an item for sale



 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Briansykora
New Member


Joined: 22 Aug 2018
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Posting an item for sale Reply with quote

Why is it so problematic to post an ad?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator


Joined: 03 May 2005
Posts: 8212
Location: Monument, CO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because TH folk appreciate each other as a community more than a place to buy and sell stuff. A conscious decision to be more like buying and selling among friends instead of the world at large. And the place was getting overrun with spam adverts for everything under the sun. There are eBay, Caig's List, and other places for that.
_________________
"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley


Last edited by Don Herman rev2 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Briansykora
New Member


Joined: 22 Aug 2018
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don! All makes sense.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
paul cote
New Member


Joined: 03 Oct 2007
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't sold a trumpet in years on trumpet herald - and tried to sell my horn and it's asking for 5 postings -great for some track record with postings , but could we not reference our ebay 100 percent score ? face book ? Paul C
_________________
I PLAYED TRUMPET IN MY HIGH SCHOOL BAND AND HAVE ALWAYS ENJOYED PLAYING AND COLLECTING TRUMPETS .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 10235
Location: Santa Clara, Ca

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that there is nothing preventing you from mentioning those in your five posts. Of course no one will really know if you are truly the owner of those other accounts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brad361
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 5493
Location: Houston, TX.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Because TH folk appreciate each other as a community more than a place to buy and sell stuff. A conscious decision to be more like buying and selling among friends instead of the world at large. And the place was getting overrun with spam adverts for everything under the sun. There are eBay, Caig's List, and other places for that.


This.

Brad
_________________
"I always try but, not always, because the horn is mercy-less, unpredictable and traitorous." - Arturo Sandoval
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
iiipopes
Veteran Member


Joined: 29 Jun 2015
Posts: 390

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Because TH folk appreciate each other as a community more than a place to buy and sell stuff. A conscious decision to be more like buying and selling among friends instead of the world at large. And the place was getting overrun with spam adverts for everything under the sun. There are eBay, Caig's List, and other places for that.


This.

Brad

+1. I have had nothing but very positive experiences buying and selling among TH folk compared to the general market.
_________________
King Super 20 Trumpet
Couesnon Flugelhorn and C trumpet
I regularly abide the musical depths alongside Beelzebub as my avocation (meaning - I play bass instruments for weekend gigs, upper brass for fun and games, and keep the day job).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brad361
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 5493
Location: Houston, TX.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Because TH folk appreciate each other as a community more than a place to buy and sell stuff. A conscious decision to be more like buying and selling among friends instead of the world at large. And the place was getting overrun with spam adverts for everything under the sun. There are eBay, Caig's List, and other places for that.


This.

Brad

+1. I have had nothing but very positive experiences buying and selling among TH folk compared to the general market.


+1 to your +1, same here!

Brad
_________________
"I always try but, not always, because the horn is mercy-less, unpredictable and traitorous." - Arturo Sandoval
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tailspin49
New Member


Joined: 16 May 2018
Posts: 5
Location: Chicago, USA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a vintage horn that I want to go to someone who appreciates it's value. The general public has no idea one horn to another, so why wouldn't it make sense to offer it to people who respect and are respected for their appreciation of good instruments?
_________________
Tailspin49
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Brad361
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 5493
Location: Houston, TX.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tailspin49 wrote:
I have a vintage horn that I want to go to someone who appreciates it's value. The general public has no idea one horn to another, so why wouldn't it make sense to offer it to people who respect and are respected for their appreciation of good instruments?


It does make sense, but here’s the problem: ANYONE can claim to have a great horn to sell, maybe yours is.....and maybe it’s not. There are no guarantees regardless, but because this is somewhat of a “community”, there is a level of trust that occurs between members here. The same cannot be said for ebay or Craigslist, which is why many people here don’t want to see TH become just another place for people to sell equipment.

Maybe you DO care about your vintage horn going to someone who would appreciate it, but unless you (and this is nothing personal) choose to establish a presence here, there’s no reason for anyone to necessarily believe what you’re saying.

Too much trouble to go through just to sell a horn? Probably.....that’s why there are places like ebay.

Brad
_________________
"I always try but, not always, because the horn is mercy-less, unpredictable and traitorous." - Arturo Sandoval
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tailspin49
New Member


Joined: 16 May 2018
Posts: 5
Location: Chicago, USA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, and thank you for the response.

I am sorry that I am not currently playing a horn. But I have a bit of history that was sure fun.

When I was at U of Illinois, I was in the marching band for sure, but the real fun was the jazz band. The director was John Garvey, a really fun, and serious musician. (This was '67 - '70) John disliked the "squeak and squawk" kind of jazz a the time, so his arrangements were truly big band charts.

One night we played at the T-Bird, a nice restaurant/bar across the street from the music school buildings. As the night went on, so did some drinks. We had a fun sax player, Larry Cangelosi, who stood up on a chair to do his solo. It became apparent that my part in the chart was less important than grabbing Larry's belt so he didn't fall off the folding chair while he played!!! That band was certainly the peak of my college career!

And recently, I saw a house that was round, it had a stage in the center, where a grand piano probably lived. There was plenty of space for seating around the piano. All the rooms were in the perimeter of that center stage. That was a custom built house that John Garvey built. I was never invited there as a student, but I can imagine the late night gatherings that happened there. Pretty cool.

As for my musical interests, I have meandered into singing barbershop. I am a member of a chorus in Downers Grove, Il, with 50 guys, as well as the bass in a quartet. I have been doing this for the last 22 years. So my instrument has changed, not my musical skill level.

I hope this sharing helps you know a bit about me, but also know the fact that I don't have much I can offer regarding the trumpet playing culture. I might add, that I played the cornet because we owned it. But I really should have been a lower brass player, as my lips required me to use a large mouthpiece.

Again, thank you for your response. I appreciate your time.

Don
_________________
Tailspin49
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 10235
Location: Santa Clara, Ca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part do you sing in barbershop? I was part of SPEBSQSA for a while a few decades ago. I was always popular since I can sing the high tenor parts in pitch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brad361
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 5493
Location: Houston, TX.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think the fact that you’re not currently playing a brass instrument should exclude you from anything here, there are lots of different levels of players on this forum, including those who stopped playing for periods of time. I do understand that you say you would prefer to sell your horn on a forum like this, that’s populated by trumpet players, who might have an appreciation of your horn, I also give you credit for making the effort to tell us a bit about your background. Maybe if you still find “trumpet stuff” interesting, you might enjoy some of the discussions here. If so, welcome!

Brad
_________________
"I always try but, not always, because the horn is mercy-less, unpredictable and traitorous." - Arturo Sandoval
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tailspin49
New Member


Joined: 16 May 2018
Posts: 5
Location: Chicago, USA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Brad and 'LilRusty...

I sing bass, and I would love a tenor who could sing in tune! It is a struggle, my tenor and lead have tuning issues. I have no falsetto, so I respect those of you who have that range.

Can you see my email? Or can I show it? I don't know those rules. If so, I could share a recording of the song my quartet is working on for our Christmas show, Alleluia.

Perhaps on a technical side, do you guys know of
TE-tuner? It is an app on the phone that is great for tuning. We use it all the time in chorus. My director is a vocal teacher and she pushes us to use the cents... how "in tune" do you think you are? The smiley face is very telling. It'd be a challenge on a horn, I'm betting. (And I suspect there are similar tools specific to brass instruments.)

Anyway, thank you guys. As you suggest, there are some very interesting discussions here. I may hang around a while indeed.

Don
_________________
Tailspin49
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 10235
Location: Santa Clara, Ca

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tailspin49 wrote:
I sing bass, and I would love a tenor who could sing in tune! It is a struggle, my tenor and lead have tuning issues. I have no falsetto, so I respect those of you who have that range.

I actually have full voice range from E below bass staff to C in the treble clef. Falsetto to G or A above the treble clef. In my younger days in falsetto I could regularly sing the F above trumpet high C.

My lead back when I had a gospel quartet tended to stray to my part.
The bass had rhythm issues and all of those glorious running bass lines were often off tempo.

But the baritone was spot on.

Memories...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Brad361
Heavyweight Member


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 5493
Location: Houston, TX.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tailspin49 wrote:
Thank you Brad and 'LilRusty...

I sing bass, and I would love a tenor who could sing in tune! It is a struggle, my tenor and lead have tuning issues. I have no falsetto, so I respect those of you who have that range.

Can you see my email? Or can I show it? I don't know those rules. If so, I could share a recording of the song my quartet is working on for our Christmas show, Alleluia.

Perhaps on a technical side, do you guys know of
TE-tuner? It is an app on the phone that is great for tuning. We use it all the time in chorus. My director is a vocal teacher and she pushes us to use the cents... how "in tune" do you think you are? The smiley face is very telling. It'd be a challenge on a horn, I'm betting. (And I suspect there are similar tools specific to brass instruments.)

Anyway, thank you guys. As you suggest, there are some very interesting discussions here. I may hang around a while indeed.

Don


My take on tuners, and maybe you know this: whether you’re singing or playing an instrument (other than fixed intonation instruments like piano/organ), you have to tune to the ensemble. Many of us have seen the player who doggedly fixates on his tuner, while playing out of tune with the rest of the ensemble. I once had a guitar player react with great surprise when I declined to try his Snark (clip on; they can attach to the bell, or to a guitar) tuner, he thought it was the greatest invention ever. (And my saying “no thanks” was NOT meant to say that I think I’m always spot on regarding pitch!)

I think a tuner is valuable to give you an “intonation baseline”, but beyond that it’s up to the individual to listen and adjust. I had a student that I finally had to tell to take the damn thing off his horn, he was that focused on it.

And here is where some people will probably say “well DUH!” 😎

Brad
_________________
"I always try but, not always, because the horn is mercy-less, unpredictable and traitorous." - Arturo Sandoval
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group