• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton Collegiate Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithbranham

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Holton Collegiate Cornet Reply with quote

Is the Holton Collegiate cornet an intermediate instrument? And apologies for the initial misspelling of the topic.

Last edited by keithbranham on Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holton?

If so... decent quality student instruments (depending on condition!), but not much more than that.

Then again, most intermediate trumpets/cornets are only debatably worth switching to from decent quality student trumpets/cornets anyway.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

It's a very solidly made student instrument. It might be better constructed than some current student range instruments (esp store or off brand ones made who knows where) but it's a student level instrument.

Nothing wrong with that, though.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Excellent student instrument Reply with quote

One of my favorite student instruments. Had the lacquer and nickle plated versions. Very underrated and easy to play instrument. I am enjoying playing my Holton 605 Shepherd's crook cornet.
Getzen 4 B mouthpiece
Yamaha 11 e mouthpiece
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The c603 and c605 were marketed as intermediate/semi pro depending on the lit. The only thing those two share with the student model 602 is the valve section. The c602 is a very fine student cornet
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread because I just took delivery of my new (to me) 1966 Holton Collegiate cornet. Only had time to play 15 minutes or so but man, what a horn. First off, except for two scratches inside the bell this thing looks like new. Not even lacquer wear, valves are fast and easy after a nice oiling. All slides move and are free and on top of that look like new. Bright yellow brass and not even a dark spot on them.

Playability is GREAT and I can easily cover my whole range. The sound is pretty good, will check out in more detail in the next rehearsals coming up.

I didn’t really need a cornet but figured that after 40 cornet-free years and a good offer coming up I’d give it a try. Turns out I did great 😊

Funny thing is that Holton was never really on my radar. I had been watching a few Olds, Bach, Getzen, King, and of course Blessing Super Artists (being a Clifford fan, that’s what you do). Will definitely watch Holton horns more closely in the future!
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I inherited a 1950s Holton Super Collegiate cornet. It needed some work, expertly done by Charlie Melk, and is now a solid player. The Holton isn't in the same caliber as my Getzen 800DLX -- fabulous horn -- but the sound and mechanics are good enough that I use it for gigs on occasion. Just played a brass choir concert with it, and had no problem with intonation, blending with the section, soloing over the ensemble, or with upper register. I'd say they are a good value if you can find one that doesn't need a valve overhaul.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess that sums it up pretty nicely. As I said I have no real need for a cornet but I was thinking along the same lines: if it’s pouring or snow storming outside and I certainly don’t want to take my rotary the cornet could be nice. Not as powerful as the Bach but perfectly functional and nice for the upcoming Christmas time. Plus it’s a pretty instrument, all brass with these angled (don’t know how you really call it) top and bottom valve caps and the Holton medallion in the tuning slide. I do like the two tone bell of the Super Collegiate but mine is pretty as well
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: