• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The real story of how Maynard lost his front teeth.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: The real story of how Maynard lost his front teeth. Reply with quote

Myy source is impeccable but as discretion is advised? I will leave the man anonymous. No names.

Background,

Just a couple days ago I sent an e-mail letter to a most distinguished Maynard allumni. Great fellow (underststement). My inquiry was regarding any knowledge he had about a dental injury Pops suffered long ago. Didnt know the specific date myself although I have read the actual newspaper clipping. A published account describing the accident really made the news. Not sure if something like that would happen today. Apparently the matter happened in the mid sixties. Maynard's trumpet was hit ny a drunk in the bar. He lost several of his front teeth.

Some of the information I read in the news story was incorrect. Contrary to what the paper published Maynard didnt beat the Hell out of the fellow. Although he did drag the drunk into the mens room with the intent of really messing him up.

The great fellow that he was however Pops swiftly softened his anger and stance. Soon after he saw just how pitiful the drunk was. Apparently the assault happened unintentionally. Because the drunk had been flailing his hands while dancing to the band's music. Then accidentally struck the famous trumpet. Cracking/breaking off several of histeeth.

Maynard soo
received probably some of the first dental implants. Then despite a couple less than comfortable gigs? He returned to performing llike nothing ever happened.

That man was composed of different material than me. Every part of this story is remarkable. Especially his refusal to take revenge on the man. Very Christian/Hindu like. Every time I think about Maynard I'm reminded of those Youtube videos titles "Babe Ruth Wasn't Human". A good film btw. And Pops was extra special.

My source describing his opinion of Pops as threefold,

1. An enlightened soul,
2. Great musician,
3. Greatest high note player ever.

In that order . During my life I have met, written and spoken to several people who knew Maynard well. And each has come away with the feeling that this man was an "annointed being". Christ-like if you will.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know "Pops" is a nickname for Louis Armstrong, but I didn't know people called Maynard the same thing. I've always just heard him called "Maynard", no "Ferguson" required, LOL. Interesting.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This quote from an article is also from someone who was there, Maynard. He states he “really wasted that cat”.

Who knows, the quote is from nearly 60 years ago and the incident 6 years prior.

Edit: it is interesting that Maynard’s account is that one tooth was cracked, not multiple. Over time his teeth moved which then was fixed using crowns, not implants.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
This quote from an article is also from someone who was there, Maynard. He states he “really wasted that cat”.

Who knows, the quote is from nearly 60 years ago and the incident 6 years prior.

Edit: it is interesting that Maynard’s account is that one tooth was cracked, not multiple. Over time his teeth moved which then was fixed using crowns, not implants.

We're probably getting closer to the truth of the matter. The term "really wasted that cat" are the words I vividly remember from the original article. It only makes sense that the news would appear in Downbeat. Isnt like it would find it's way to the NY Times anyway.

My more recent source comes from a noted M/F band alumni who asked the former lead alto of the very band which witnessed the altercation. I tend to believe band member accounts over sensational news stories. Every reporter has to entertain. Bad news receives notice. Sensational bad news even more so. Likely someone wanted the story to "sell".

My source claimed Maynard was very upset and intended to get even with the drunk. However after dragging him off stage he had time to think and realized how pitiful the guy was. And didn't harm him more than just frighten.

I'd like to think that this is the true story. And to my thinking? It probably holds more weight than the D/B article.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionel wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

We're probably getting closer to the truth of the matter. The term "really wasted that cat" are the words I vividly remember from the original article. It only makes sense that the news would appear in Downbeat. Isnt like it would find it's way to the NY Times anyway.

My more recent source comes from a noted M/F band alumni who asked the former lead alto of the very band which witnessed the altercation. I tend to believe band member accounts over sensational news stories. Every reporter has to entertain. Bad news receives notice. Sensational bad news even more so. Likely someone wanted the story to "sell".

My source claimed Maynard was very upset and intended to get even with the drunk. However after dragging him off stage he had time to think and realized how pitiful the guy was. And didn't harm him more than just frighten.

I'd like to think that this is the true story. And to my thinking? It probably holds more weight than the D/B article.

When doing research one wants to get as close to the time the incident happened and as close to the people involved.

The article may indeed have inflated the results, or Maynard may have, but it was within six years of the happening. And the person giving details was a one of the people involved.

The details you share are from someone years after the article was published and are second hand, a colleague of someone in the band back then.

Also the part about having implants is also probably incorrect. Aside from Maynard stating his tooth was cracked and fixed considerably later, implants weren't invented until 1964 which is when Maynard states the teeth were capped.

I personally believe the article is closer to the "real story".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: