• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach LR 180 72 with 43 lead pipe VS Schilke B1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBTP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Bach LR 180 72 with 43 lead pipe VS Schilke B1 Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a new horn. I've narrowed my choice down to 2 horns. A schilke b1 or Bach 72 with a 43 reverse lead pipe. What are your thoughts and experiences with these horns? I play both commercial and classical music so the horn needs to be versatile in all styles . Thanks.
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a very versatile horn but really like how the Bach plays I would definitely recommend checking out the 72* (72 lightweight). You can still get the 43 pipe on it and it plays naturally dark and full but it will completely light up and change character with a shallow piece. If you find with with good intonation it can be a really special horn. The 72 normal weight is too dark for serious commercial playing.
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach LR 180 72 with 43 lead pipe VS Schilke B1 Reply with quote

BBTP wrote:
I'm in the market for a new horn. I've narrowed my choice down to 2 horns. A schilke b1 or Bach 72 with a 43 reverse lead pipe. What are your thoughts and experiences with these horns? I play both commercial and classical music so the horn needs to be versatile in all styles . Thanks.

Those are two very different horns. The B1 is a great horn, more open than the B5 and to my estimation more open than a Bach 37ML, but still an ML horn with a slightly larger bell. The Bach 72 regular weight bell is very open and very large, but the color potential is excellent. The 43 leadpipe is very open as well, and even more open with the reversed leadpipe, so that combination would likely play very large, and substantially different from the Schilke. I owned a large bore 72 bell with a reversed 25 leadpipe, and it sounded glorious for the first 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, but then I was shot. Too open and not enough resistance, and I paid the price.

The 72* bell is a good bell for commercial work; I've used one in the past in orchestra, and in the right group, with a good brass section, it can be great. I currently play a large bore 72 bell Bach, and it is a great horn for most of my orchestral playing (on a Bb).

Still wish I had that large bore 72 with the reversed 25 leadpipe though...

AL
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm told that the 72 bell with 43 pipe is a great setup for particularly strong players. The reverse 43 pipe may be a step too far. I did enjoy my ML LR72/25 for many years before it got stolen.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I was able to best both trumpets you mention and the Bach 72*/43 was far and away the better trumpet (for me). But you should really at least try and compare both of these with the Flip Oakes Celebration-- very superior to both. Folks get frightened by the 470 bore but it is actually easier to play than standard ML bore trumpets. Again... this is how it shakes out for me, your results may differ. But considering the two trumpets you mention, you owe it to yourself to at least give one a try if possible.
Yamaha 8315G flugel/ Reeves 42F
Bandcity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post. I have both, well close. A 72* ML and a B1L

These are very similar horns in that they are both lightweight and can sing. I am a comeback player and wanted something new. The Schilke was available lightly used in my hometown though i tried a number of other trumpets. My wife, also a trumpet player liked the Schilke the best so I picked up the Schilke. The Schilke is more open but I find myself not hitting the centre of a note once or twice each time I practice, especially when tired. The slots are huge but when you nail the centre the reward is beautiful. Overall the Schilke sounds better according to my teacher as well. I will probably pick up a heavier horn once my chops return and sell the Bach. If my comeback fails I will keep the Bach because the Schilke will be easier to sell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: