• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help: Learning Clarinet is Having Adverse Effects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BbTrumpet1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Help: Learning Clarinet is Having Adverse Effects Reply with quote

Hello! Hoping that there are some other music educators (or really ambitious people who learned clarinet as a secondary) who can help!

I am wrapping up my second degree in music education, and I am currently refining my clarinet skills for my woodwind technique class. I have small, double-jointed fingers which makes the instrument very challenging for me, so I’ve had to shed on it A TON. Now, my trumpet playing is really starting to hurt. I have a top spot in the top ensemble at my school. A day after a long clarinet practice day, I had rehearsal. I noticed when I warmed up the horn wasn’t responding well, but when I sat down for band I could hardly get a note out... YIKES!! I had to fight my way through, playing what I could without straining and sitting out for the rest. My range and tone have been significantly hurt.

I have stopped practicing clarinet and have a long weekend before I have to play in class (thank god). Luckily, everyday my playing is getting better with hours of low long tones/etudes. My top and bottom lip both hurt. I’ve read a lot of forums that say that playing clarinet will not always harm your trumpet playing, but this is not the case! I’ve spoken to my trumpet professors and they all said they experienced the same issues in college, and had to really fight through it. I do not want this to significantly impact my playing.

First, how do I get my chops back ASAP short-term?
Secondly, when I do have to play clarinet for class, what can I do to keep damage minimal?

Any info on this topic is appreciated even if you do not have the answer to the specific question. And yes, I am well aware that not all trumpet players experience this when playing a secondary reed instrument.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always be those who say it is easy or hard but IMO the switch from something like clarinet (or most reeds) to trumpet is a bit perilous. The embouchure and wind control are pretty much opposites.

Take the following with a grain or maybe block of salt as I have not tried clarinet in ages (all I can do to play trumpet now and then).

I would return to the very basics on trumpet for a day or two without really pushing to sort of "reform" your mental and physical chops. Start over and build up again in short sessions and chances are by Monday you'll be pretty close to where you were.

Going forward, I would be careful not to focus exclusively on one or the other if you must do both, but alternate even if only for a little while during your practice sessions. E.g., warm up uon trumpet, then clarinet, do a clarinet session, warm down, then warm down on trumpet. For a trumpet session swap the instruments, i.e. warm up on clarinet, then trumpet, do the trumpet session, warm down, then play a little on clarinet to end.

If trumpet is your main instrument, I would always start and end with trumpet, sticking in the clarinet practice as it fits. E.g. trumpet warm-up, clarinet warm-up, trumpet or clarinet session, trumpet warm-down if trumpet, clarinet warm-down (either way), then a final trumpet warm down.

Things like flow studies, Stamp, Hickman's lip flexibilities, etc. may provide good "low-impact" trumpet material to get your chops working again.

HTH - Don
BbTrumpet1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
There will always be those who say it is easy or hard but IMO the switch from something like clarinet (or most reeds) to trumpet is a bit perilous. The embouchure and wind control are pretty much opposites.

Take the following with a grain or maybe block of salt as I have not tried clarinet in ages (all I can do to play trumpet now and then).

I would return to the very basics on trumpet for a day or two without really pushing to sort of "reform" your mental and physical chops. Start over and build up again in short sessions and chances are by Monday you'll be pretty close to where you were.

Going forward, I would be careful not to focus exclusively on one or the other if you must do both, but alternate even if only for a little while during your practice sessions. E.g., warm up uon trumpet, then clarinet, do a clarinet session, warm down, then warm down on trumpet. For a trumpet session swap the instruments, i.e. warm up on clarinet, then trumpet, do the trumpet session, warm down, then play a little on clarinet to end.

If trumpet is your main instrument, I would always start and end with trumpet, sticking in the clarinet practice as it fits. E.g. trumpet warm-up, clarinet warm-up, trumpet or clarinet session, trumpet warm-down if trumpet, clarinet warm-down (either way), then a final trumpet warm down.

Things like flow studies, Stamp, Hickman's lip flexibilities, etc. may provide good "low-impact" trumpet material to get your chops working again.

HTH - Don

Trumpet is my primary instrument.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was a music-ed student, then a composition student but with the same basic instrumental methods class requirements. I had no problem. Are you sure you're not putting more emphasis on the clarinet than you need for the class?

If I were you, the first thing I would do is the minimum on clarinet, and I would also have a talk with my ensemble director and let him know what is going on. Maybe s/he even has a solution. Certainly you're not the first trumpet/ww methods class student s/he has had.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
BbTrumpet1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Well, I was a music-ed student, then a composition student but with the same basic instrumental methods class requirements. I had no problem. Are you sure you're not putting more emphasis on the clarinet than you need for the class?

If I were you, the first thing I would do is the minimum on clarinet, and I would also have a talk with my ensemble director and let him know what is going on. Maybe s/he even has a solution. Certainly you're not the first trumpet/ww methods class student s/he has had.
Luckily the ensemble director also teaches the woodwind class. I spoke to him and he said the same thing, to play less. I haven’t played clarinet since yesterday and am going to take 4 days off and play only the bare minimum next class. Have to fight through rehearsals until the weekend and I’m going to just play long tones. Today was better than yesterday, so hopefully I bounce back by Monday.
BbTrumpet1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: After digging around the internet, I believe I may have actually had an allergic reaction to a reed! I have very sensitive skin (eczema) and have reactions to tons of bizarre things. I am not discounting the fact that the difference in embouchures is a contributing factor, but my symptoms are very severe and seem to align with others who have verified their allergy.

For the first two weeks, I used one reed and had no problems switching back and forth from trumpet to clarinet. Our teacher handed out new reeds from a different brand this week, and this is when my lips swelled up immediately after class and my problems on trumpet began.

Apparently, all brands use different herbicides/pesticides/fertilizer for growing their cane. The brand that I switched to that caused me problems is Vandoren.. Currently shopping for a plastic reed to use in class, and then I am never touching a clarinet again!

Here's to hoping this solves my problems and that my lips return to normal soon!
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had that problem. Both embouchures require firm mouth corners. Push the cl mouthpiece up against the top teeth some.
BbTrumpet1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david johnson wrote:
I never had that problem. Both embouchures require firm mouth corners. Push the cl mouthpiece up against the top teeth some.
I am playing with correct embouchure. I’ve spoken to several professors who it has happened to, but not to the extent it has hurt me. The clarinet activates muscles we don’t use which can cause discomfort. I am starting to believe it is an allergic reaction in my case though as there is swelling exactly where the reed touched my lips (I say lips because when I sucked on the reed, my upper lip swelled). Apparently, you can be allergic to cane or the pesticides certain brands use.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was a painful (literally!) lesson, glad you figured it out. One more reason to stay away from reeds...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: