• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

buzzing for range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: buzzing for range Reply with quote

this will thrill those who figure buzzing is wasted breath. full disclaimer i love pedals which will enrage another dedicated segment.
when i first started buzzing going above middle C was difficult so all work was done in the lower register. working out of john daniel's 'special studies' made the difference. minutely following john's instructions it was easy to progress and buzz into the upper register. it is now no problem to buzz D above DHC, the highest note on the 61 key digital piano. it's a funny thing. there is always another step or two to grab and practice.
i had my fun with registers i would never play in and resolved to keep buzzing practice to F over high C to be as easy as possible on the chops.
having buzzed a pitch on the mouthpiece it then becomes possible to play it on the horn. it is extremely helpful to first play the pitch on the keyboard. D-E-F are now accessible as slow practice notes where i did not remotely have them before the buzzing work. once you can get the pitch out the bell you can work on strengthening the note and ultimately use it musically.
i can see buzzing work helping a player go past DHC. it must get into real strain at a certain point.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzing is a good isometric exercise. It can also be useful for ear training.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean mouthpiece buzzing or free buzzing?

I am a big fan of mouthpiece buzzing to work on range.. the main advantage for me is I can work on it when I can't put a trumpet on my face, for example driving to work. It also lets you focus on getting a good efficient note, no fingers etc to distract.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck, I may have just missed it, but you are talking about your increased ability to high buzz but did you mention whether or not there was a carry-over benefit in your horn playing? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Chuck, I may have just missed it, but you are talking about your increased ability to high buzz but did you mention whether or not there was a carry-over benefit in your horn playing? Thanks.

the first thing accomplished was being able to easily buzz pitches past high C.
it has a carry over effect in playing where the 'easily' aspect takes a hike. if you can buzz a pitch you can then get it out of the bell in a somewhat grudging way. i got in reasonable control of mouthpiece buzzing, and then delved into exercises and found it possible to play D-E-F with some pause, concentration, and getting the pitch in my ear with a keyboard, notes that i could not previously play. it was heartening to grab a chunk of range like that. being able to play the note means that a number of months of practice will make it part of usable range. it's not ultra quick but good enough, and in any case i am discontinuing the range quest at F.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: