• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How fussy do I need to be about where I get a chemical clean

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beginnersmind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: How fussy do I need to be about where I get a chemical clean Reply with quote

Hi, I hope this is the right place to post this question?

I just got an older Ambassador to learn on. It’s an LA model with only a few tiny dings. (Thanks for all the advice here!). I want to treat it well. I just took it apart, gave it a bath, and found a thin coat of verdigris on the inside of the slides. I’m thinking I need to take it to have a chemical/acid bath? My local music store says they offer that service. Should I trust them, or mail the horn to an established brass repair shop? Thanks in advance to all the knowledgeable helpful people I have been finding here!
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it alone.

If the local place is a band instrument store I’d say go for it. But if they have mostly guitars on the walls..............
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider giving it a soaking bath in a mixture of half vinegar and half water. You can get a plastic tub from Walmart, etc. Fill it with the mixture. Disassemble the trumpet and put all the parts in it, other than the felts and corks. Make sure it's totally submerged. Leave it for a few hours and then flush it with warm water and Dawn dish washing detergent.

If it's lacquer, be sure the water is truly only warm. Hot water may take some lacquer off.

If that does not get all the green gunk out, then it's time to consider a pro.

Take care,
Marc Speed
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . and be sure to wash out the tub well before you later take a bath.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some "tube brushes"...you can buy a pack at Harbor Freight. I use the brass bristle variety to remove the green junk on the inside of horns that have been sitting for a while. Also, the brass brushes you use to clean shotgun barrels works well (.410 guage) or brushes for .357 or 9mm pistols work satisfactorily.

Make sure the horn is unloaded before brushing (just kidding!).

Brushing will remove a lot of the verdigris, but not all of it. If you regularly play the horn, wash it out periodically, use a flexible brush (snake) or a swab, and put a bit of valve oil down in the leadpipe before you play, it will usually remove the green stuff over a period of time.

Try this first, and if you still see it after a few weeks/months, THEN it is time for a chemical clean. Usually that green stuff will not affect the way the instrument plays a whole lot. If it is a valuable/collectible instrument, or one that you really like, then you might consider a professional cleaning.

Regards,

Dave
Beginnersmind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the good ideas! I will use these good suggestions to work out a cleaning schedule for myself. All solid sounding stuff!
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is dirt that remains in the leadpipe after soaking and using a snake, you can scrub it out with a brass wire brush. You can get them on ebay. Don't use a steel brush, only brass.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't get freaked out by the color. the green is a natural corrosion and a thin layer on the inside of the trumpet is as good as anything else.
what you do get inside an old brass instrument is encrusted crud which has mass and affects the sound. i would give the horn a long soak in washing soda, you can also use baking soda, 3 hours or more. run brushes through it and observe if anything is coming out. flush it out with warm water and repeat the procedure with lemon joy or other dish washing detergent.
if it plays well enough leave things be. i would tend to get an ultrasonic clean over a chemical clean as being gentler on the instrument.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: How fussy do I need to be about where I get a chemical c Reply with quote

Beginnersmind wrote:
Hi, I hope this is the right place to post this question?

I just got an older Ambassador to learn on. It’s an LA model with only a few tiny dings. (Thanks for all the advice here!). I want to treat it well. I just took it apart, gave it a bath, and found a thin coat of verdigris on the inside of the slides. I’m thinking I need to take it to have a chemical/acid bath? My local music store says they offer that service. Should I trust them, or mail the horn to an established brass repair shop? Thanks in advance to all the knowledgeable helpful people I have been finding here!

Lots of good advice here. There's nothing wrong using a local music store, as long as they have a decent repair shop in-house. Ask your friends for suggestions. Maybe someone here can suggest a good place in Alabama for you.

Just to clarify, you noted some tarnish on the slide legs that you want to get cleaned. Wherever you take it, let them know that, along with a general cleaning, you'd like to have that tarnish removed.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/threads/chemical-cleaning-diy.90039/
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For impatient readers: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/threads/chemical-cleaning-diy.90039/
Check the pictures
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Verdigris on slides Reply with quote

A good product for this is Lime Away, available at grocery store.

Spray on and in slides or put slides in a glass container and pour Lime Away
in. Leave for up to 20 minutes or until slides have desired look.

Rinse well.
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get the old-fashioned acid bath. Take your horn to a store that can do an UltraSonic flush. It is much more effective and safer on your instrument.

There is a bathroom cleaner called "The Works" that will remove corrosion from slides very quickly (2 minutes or less.) It does not hurt lacquer or plastic. It comes in a white plastic bottle and is sold at grocery stores everywhere.

Put the Works in a plastic container and lay the slides in it. Use Q-tips dipped in Works to clean any corroded areas of the trumpet body. Caution- it has hydro-chloric acid in it so don't breath fumes or get it in your eyes. Rinse parts thoroughly.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: