• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need advice on Graduate programs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beedabee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Need advice on Graduate programs Reply with quote

Hi everyone I am about to begin my senior year of my undergraduate degree and I am considering places for my MM in Trumpet Performance. What I want to ask for is advice from current students of recently graduates from the schools I am considering: How are the teachers, the musical environment of where these schools are located, the environment of the students and faculty, and overall opinions on their respected music programs?

Currently I am considering:
University of Southern California
University of Michigan
Michigan State University
DePaul University
University Of Georgia
University of Texas - Austin

Thank you in advance.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a classical player, commercial player, jazz player? What area do you want to focus on?
beedabee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend on going in as a classical player. But I do love jazz and played that extensively as well so I wouldn’t mind if at some point I could play in a jazz band. My end goal is to get my doctorate and become a college professor for trumpet.
GardyParty_11

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd probably be fine pursuing graduate study at any one of the institutions you've listed. I don't know much about the jazz happenings in Athens. Maybe add Indiana University, CCM, Rutgers, and all those New York schools to your list of programs to check out if crossover playing and a cognate in jazz studies is something that you're interested in for a doctorate. Good luck.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Manhattan School of Music?
https://www.msmnyc.edu/

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
thenick2000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to consider if you're interested. The freelance scene in Michigan is pretty great. I went to Western Michigan for MM and Michigan State for DMA and while I was there I was able to play with lots of different orchestras throughout the state. Some union some not, but it was a nice way to make some extra money and perform with awesome musicians. I've had friends that went to U. of M and loved it too so I'd say any of the Michigan schools are a safe bet for a great experience.

NN
deanoaks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without knowing what it is that you are looking for a music program (and really knowing who you are in general...not saying open up on a forum just explaining how difficult it is going to be to give you advice) it will be challenging to give you recommendations on schools.
As far as I can see each one of those schools has a decent-strong music program with good trumpet teachers and a decent name. You could be happy with any one of those schools or you could be miserable. It is just difficult to say without more context.
CarolWTX

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to MSU and their music program is excellent. Can't go wrong there!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolWTX wrote:
I went to MSU and their music program is excellent. Can't go wrong there!

Is "MSU" (SU=State University):
Missouri SU
Mississippi SU
Michigan SU
Minnesota SU
Montana SU
Something I overlooked.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Sharkbaitboi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peedwater Community College. I hear bob turns out triple c players
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharkbaitboi wrote:
Peedwater Community College. I hear bob turns out triple c players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4Z-BQitMuc

WHO IS THIS GUY?!?!
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I will help where I can here:

First of all, i suggest you highly take into account financial scholarship/cost of attendance. But at the same time, the MM is definitely the place to splurge (a little) because for most it is the terminal degree and the final stepping stone to pro life.

All good choices.
University of Southern California: can't help, but they are in LA and tom hooten seems to be having a hand there. Should be great. Just had a guy win Navy Premiere.

University of Michigan: Some people love the prof some people don't. School has a ton of great musicians and Ann arbor is amazing (hill auditorium brings in some insane acts). Should be a great learning place...but again, take a lesson to see if you mesh.

Michigan State University: Growing a lot. I know the prof there and he's a great player/guy that cares for the students. Usually a strong grad studio which you can learn from as well. School is really Ed heavy and performance sometimes takes a back seat to "ensembles" etc. Great community maybe a lower caliber overall (compared to U mich for example). But nice feel to it and you'll make some good friends. Again, grad studio is always really strong and the prof will whip you in to shape not only trumpet playing wise but also professionally. Grad students lately seem to be doing lots of solid things.

DePaul University: Auditioned twice here and almost went twice. It's in chicago, has a nice feel to it. If you haven't experienced big city life or a lot of snow...it can get miserable. They just got an influx of new profs. Billy Gerlach is a beautiful sounding player, new teacher (for what that's worth). David Cohen sounds boss no idea about his teaching. Tage (watch the latest monster oil brass chat for an interview) is great not sure about the other dude. Hard to beat the education that you can get if you take advantage of all chicago has to offer. Conservatory style education so your relationship with your teacher will be much more fleeting (billy in DC, Cohen in Wisconsin, Tage full time with CSO etc). Can get frustrating for some that want to feel "taken care of" rather than "there to be in a city, suffer, practice, and be sometimes miserable." Gig life is apparently pretty decent in chi-town. It's in flux so that could be concerning but it could also be a chance to go in strong. Know a bunch of people that went there.

University Of Georgia: Everybody kinda wants to study with phil smith so he attracts a ton of great players. He's great too and has become an enormously better teacher over the last couple of years. Solid finishing school. Killer players. Had 3 or 4 friends the past couple years go through with phil smith and love it.

University of Texas - Austin: Don't know anything about it
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who do you want to study with? Where do YOU want to go? Which school has accepted you? What connections do you have? Don't get your Masters at the same school you get your Bachelors-branch out, get a variety of info and experiences.

Beyond that, WHERE you get you're degree, in the big picture, doesn't matter that much. The Business world adage : "your diploma only matters at your first job"

"The are no good teachers, only good students". You will/should make the best of wherever you go.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
cbumcrot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great info here and all schools mentioned are reputable and great choices. I notice you have not mentioned the New York area, even though you are looking for viable music scenes and freelancing opportunities.

Montclair State University, in Montclair, NJ is well worth looking into. Brass faculty comes fromm the NY City Opera, NY Phil, Met, American Symphony, etc. We have students who have graduated and moved on to literally every major conservatory. Please investigate and give us a call.

I REALLY agree with "zaferis" about getting your MM at a different school!! I got my BM at SF State, then my MM at Manhattan School of Music.

Good luck!!
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Who do you want to study with? Where do YOU want to go? Which school has accepted you? What connections do you have? Don't get your Masters at the same school you get your Bachelors-branch out, get a variety of info and experiences.

Beyond that, WHERE you get you're degree, in the big picture, doesn't matter that much. The Business world adage : "your diploma only matters at your first job"

"The are no good teachers, only good students". You will/should make the best of wherever you go.

I agree with everything, but one caveat is that it is way easier to get substitute work when X number of your friends are principal trumpet in a orchestra. Or another spin on this idea is somebody who goes to juilliard will likely get more work in NY than somebody who goes to Colburn. Connections sometimes mean a ton of money down the line but like zaferis said, you can't really get there unless you're the kind of player people want to hire. And of course, behind the screen everybody is a number.

Ultimately you are in charge of your future (you know what you suck at and know what you need to do to practice). But sometimes a phenomenal teacher can help you to play significantly better. That was the case for me: Indiana - -John Rommel and the environment there was great too. But Indiana was isolated...it was a trade off. Like Zaferis said, it was the place that I REALLY wanted to go because I thought I would grow the most there.

Good luck!
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to freelance, that's fine - you will likely get more work in NYC than LA. Personally, I am more interested in the long game, and Colburn has done very well placing guys in full-time, tenure track orchestral/military band positions.
MarkFoster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to recommend Indiana University! There is a good atmosphere.
Good luck!
RobertCharlton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend and I are studying at Michigan State University and we are very happy studying there. A friend says he enjoys playing in an orchestra. I did not get into the orchestra myself, but I am also glad that I study here. I found many friends here. However, it is not so easy to get good grades here. It is necessary to spend a lot of time for performance of works. I use https://gradesfixer.com/citation/cse/ for better writing and am very happy with this tool. Also, for some time I was very busy, I could not write the work myself, so I turned for help to this resource. I am satisfied with the result and I recommend it to you!

Last edited by RobertCharlton on Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
If you want to freelance, that's fine - you will likely get more work in NYC than LA. Personally, I am more interested in the long game, and Colburn has done very well placing guys in full-time, tenure track orchestral/military band positions.

Since this thread has been revived after two years, I just wanted to make what I said earlier clear. When I said "somebody who goes to juilliard will likely get more work in NY than somebody who goes to Colburn," I meant that going to school in NY will net you more freelance work in NY over somebody who lives in Los Angeles (if your goal is to eventually live in NYC). The goal was to point out geographical location does matter if your dream is to move to a certain city.

Colburn has an incredible success rate, of course.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on Graduate programs Reply with quote

beedabee wrote:
Hi everyone I am about to begin my senior year of my undergraduate degree and I am considering places for my MM in Trumpet Performance. What I want to ask for is advice from current students of recently graduates from the schools I am considering: How are the teachers, the musical environment of where these schools are located, the environment of the students and faculty, and overall opinions on their respected music programs?

Currently I am considering:
University of Southern California
University of Michigan
Michigan State University
DePaul University
University Of Georgia
University of Texas - Austin

Thank you in advance.

Most importantly, ask about the success of their students in landing good college teaching jobs. Often the networking is the most important aspect of getting a job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: