• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 9445 Chicago vs. New York C trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Parsons

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Yamaha 9445 Chicago vs. New York C trumpets Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a new C trumpet, and am seriously considering either the Yamaha 9445 Chicago or the New York model. Can anyone describe for me the differences between them?
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically try them out and pick the one that you like the best. It's splitting hairs with those two but the biggest difference is the blow of the pipe. I could never get along with the reverse so I ended up with the Yamaha NY gen II. Love it.

Really hard to describe but the biggest tonal difference comes with the YM bell. The playing experience is so subjective with these it's almost not worth describing.
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way I can describe them is that the NY feels like a 25H pipe and the Chicago feels more like a 25A pipe. That is my personal feeling and has nothing to do with the actual design. To me, the NY feels way more open and I like to have a little more something to blow against.

That's where the YM comes in - if I'm not mistaken, the bell tapers on the YM in a way that gives it a little more resistance, even with a more open feeling pipe. It's a nice balance between the two if you find the Chicago too restrictive. The bottom line is play what you feel most comfortable on - if you're more comfortable, you will be a better player.
TrumpetDan79
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

There are slight differences besides the leadpipe between the NYII and CHSII C Trumpets. Both are standard with the YS Bell (similar to the 229, with Yamaha's French bead). On the NYII, an optional YM bell, similar to a Bach 239, is available. The bends on both bells are the same.

The NYII has a different 1st slide, finger hook, it uses Bb pistons, a different 3rd slide screw, and a square tuning slide. Also has a Bb rear Z brace.

It really depends what you prefer for resistance. A lot of people say the NYII feels more like a Bach, while some prefer the more resistant blow of the CHSII. I've owned both, and both sounded similar, but the resistance was quite different. With some adjustments, they can be balanced to your way of playing.

Mine is completely different, as I built a prototype of my own.

The base model was a CHSII, but it uses a square reverse tuning slide, has the Bb finger hook, a Bb rear brace, a Gen I YS bell (both bends are round), repositioned braces, and a few other things. I prefered the darker sound of the older model bell, but enjoy the playability of the newer model.

But, I agree with the others that you should try out a few of each if possible, and see what you like. They are both outstanding instruments, so I'm sure you'll find a great horn.
alonshofar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ken,
I own the chicago gen II C trumpet but I had the chance to try both the NY and CH. I feel the blow on the NY to be tighter. If You have a chance find a store that has both models in stock and go and spend some time playing the horns. It took me about 5 months to get rid of my previous C trumpet, but after that I was sure the CH was the horn. Also some of my favorite trumpet sounds are produced by trumpet players that play the yamaha CH.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: