• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Vintage Cornets For The Money?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DickGraysn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Best vintage cornets for the money? Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
The only other concern would be the condition of the valves, which might be leaky enough to require a $300 valve rebuild, but it is possible that just using heavy valve oil will make them playable.

I just did the simple test for valve leaks that I have seen on many forums where you remove the first valve slide and place you thumb over the top pipe. Results on the three horns I have here.

Blessing Student Trumpet - some pressure makes a leaking noise.

Holton ST200 circa 1968 - heavy pressure makes some leaking noise.

Now for the "cheap" cornet
Salvaltionist Publishing and Supply The Triumphonic Class A - Hard Pressure creates minimial leaking noise...

Either this means the Cornet valves are in great shape or my Holton might need some work

The more I check out this horn the more excited I get. Now for another question... it came with a Bach 7c cornet mouthpiece... I have seen somewhere to get the original sound for this horn I should use a Denis Wick DW4.. any thoughts.

Bennie
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Best vintage cornets for the money? Reply with quote

Uh, or maybe just regular valve oil will be fine . . . . .

The problem with any vintage horn is that you just don't know what you will find. Some old horns had copper plated valves and these, I believe, wear quickly. If you look up the thread on Getzen valves by Brett Getzen, he goes into how the company makes their nickel plated valves and how hard the plating is. Wear tests show that these valves take a really long time to wear out. Nickel in general is great, but it depends somewhat on how the plating is done how hard it is. A friend of mine uses used valve sets to make custom horns and he says he's never seen a set of worn out Getzen valves. In the case of the SA horns, didn't I read that the last ones were made by Besson? These might have had the "microbor" valves, which were also reputed to be very good. Another issue is that you never know whether the horn in question was played a lot or put on a shelf somewhere. Condition tells you something, but high school kids are famous for destroying horns that are actually played very little. Carted around and dented to death, but the valves might be pristine inside, because high school kids don't practice. OTOH, pro players might keep the outside of the horn in great shape, but put a lot of wear on the valves. Then, with a horn that old, the valves might have been rebuilt at some point. They could be worn in [broken in], but not worn out.

As far as a mouthpiece, this is a horn in the British Brass Band tradition. It was played in the SA bands, but the sound of the era, in Britain, was a BBB sound. It doesn't have to have a Wick 4. The width depends on what is comfortable for you. What is needed is a mouthpiece with a deep V cup and probably a somewhat opened throat, like the Wicks. You can use a Wick, a Curry cornet piece with a BBC cup or a Stork cornet piece with an A or A+ cup. There are others, and if you check some of the threads on cornet mpcs, people in BBB's will be discussing what they play. These pieces will give the most authentic sound, but after a while you may decide that something a little more shallow works best for you. For example, Curry makes a VC [vintage cornet] and a DC [deep cornet] cup mpc, and each of these would be toward the authentic sound, but a bit more shallow than the BBC. I hope you and your daughter enjoy the cornet . . . . I'm only sorry I didn't come across one like it, but there's always tomorrow . . . . . as I said before, cornets are a great bargain, maybe you'll end up with a collection of them . . . . .
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Best vintage cornets for the money? Reply with quote

Well, and on to other things. Vintage can be 1960's or 1890's . . . after posting about old cornets (as in 100 years old) I got to thinking and went looking on Youtube. I'm not going to go beating this horse forever. I did find a few videos of Dr. James Bovinette playing various old cornets for sale at (I think) Quality Brass. They seemed to play pretty strong and not dull and fairly well in tune. I don't doubt that a modern, large bore cornet that was made to play against other modern large bore cornets, euphoniums, etc. could play louder, but these old horns were made to play on an outdoor bandstand with 15 or 20 other instruments, so they did have to be heard.

Next Youtube stop was the Newberry Victorian Band. There are several clips of the band playing outside and the camera, and I assume the mike, were about a hundred feet from the band, but the four or five cornets are heard very clearly against the other 12 players, probably one or two to a part. The best clip, though, was Elisa Koehler playing a cornet solo on her 1891 Seefeldt cornet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OA_h9F8lpc&feature=related

I think the band is again about fifteen pieces behind her and it does not look like she is miked beyond one or two mikes at the camera picking up the whole ensemble. I'll let you judge how hard she is working and how in tune she is and how well the cornet carries over the ensemble. I do think the acoustic is very good here and that the cornet is somewhat lighter weight than a modern one and that it is perhaps less forward in some sections where the other instruments are playing pitches near Dr. Koehler's part, but, all in all, the instrument is heard very well. Now, Dr. Koehler is a very fine cornet player, but the instrument is doing its part here.

I don't know that I would play that horn in a modern BBB where folks are switching from a Besson to a Schilke or a Smith-Watkins and from a 0.460" to a 0.464" bore to gain an advantage, but I do think it plays beautifully, in tune and strongly colored and quite bright enough to cut through. It isn't dull or out of tune at all. I"m sure that there are 100 year old clunkers, but there are a number of fine brands of 100 year old cornet that play fine if well restored. At least that's what I think. You go listen and decide for yourself.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That clip's especially nice around 3:50 - and wearing white gloves, to boot. Thanks for sharing it.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Best vintage cornet for the money? Reply with quote

I have met Elisa, several years ago at a Brass (Naturaltrumpet) workshop in Maryland, where she teaches. She's a great player. The white gloves are partly for effect, but, if I remember right, the cornet has rounded brass finger buttons and she uses the gloves so that her fingertips don't slip off of them.

I agree, very nice performance. All the instruments in the band are authentic to the Victorian period, around 1890 - 1910, I believe. Their website is here:

www.nvcb.org/

and you can read about the instruments, the players and the band itself, and find concert dates. Book them for a gig!
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Best vintage cornets for the money? Reply with quote

DickGraysn wrote:
royjohn wrote:
The only other concern would be the condition of the valves, which might be leaky enough to require a $300 valve rebuild, but it is possible that just using heavy valve oil will make them playable.

I just did the simple test for valve leaks that I have seen on many forums where you remove the first valve slide and place you thumb over the top pipe. Results on the three horns I have here.

Blessing Student Trumpet - some pressure makes a leaking noise.

Holton ST200 circa 1968 - heavy pressure makes some leaking noise.

Now for the "cheap" cornet
Salvaltionist Publishing and Supply The Triumphonic Class A - Hard Pressure creates minimial leaking noise...

Either this means the Cornet valves are in great shape or my Holton might need some work

The more I check out this horn the more excited I get. Now for another question... it came with a Bach 7c cornet mouthpiece... I have seen somewhere to get the original sound for this horn I should use a Denis Wick DW4.. any thoughts.

Bennie

The 4B is a good place to begin. It is fairly deep. Also, part of the blow is the bore. Check the numbers! Not. Small.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best vintage cornets for the money? Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
...You go listen and decide for yourself.

That's some very nice playing - looks like a lot of fun, too. I notice on their website that Jeff Stockham is listed as one of the Eb cornet players, and he's no slouch, either.
Magne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Best Vintage Cornets For The Money? Reply with quote

My 1930 Olds Super Recording Bb Cornet is a fantastic instrument with an incredible sound.
It is hard to come by, if you find one it in good shape, it probably costs a lot of dollar.
In my opinion it is worth the money.
Besides its value rise with time.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olds Specials...either the Tri-Tone or the early brass LA tanks. Still under $100 to the patient hunters.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blessing Super Artists like the one Muggsy Spanier played are excellent. Too bright for brass band but great for trad. Pretty cheap, too.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn 5A Victor. There's a great deal on one on eBay right now. You don't see them come up for sale very often.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Conn 5A Victor. There's a great deal on one on eBay right now. You don't see them come up for sale very often.

Can you post a link? I couldn't find it and I'm thinking of selling mine and wanted to know the appropriate price. Thanks.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Satchmo101

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boosey & Hawkes Imperial Cornet

I have a 1960s version played by my dad. Superb build quality - built like a tank. If I want to doodle around this is my instrument I am drawn to. Popular for trad jazz on the UK scene back in the day. seen some decent examples for around £200 - what a bargain.

If I could figure out how to post a picture I would include it.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

Can you post a link? I couldn't find it and I'm thinking of selling mine and wanted to know the appropriate price. Thanks.

If you can't find it, it may be sold already. It was $225 and looked to be in very nice condition. Too cheap!
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Richard III wrote:
Dale Proctor wrote:

If you can't find it, it may be sold already. It was $225 and looked to be in very nice condition. Too cheap!

Wow. Someone got a great deal!!!

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see that in current or completed listings.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was sold. I just saw it in the completed listings. I thought about buying it when I saw it yesterday, but I need another cornet like I need another hole in my head.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
It was sold. I just saw it in the completed listings. I thought about buying it when I saw it yesterday, but I need another cornet like I need another hole in my head.

Another hole is an opportunity to play another cornet.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have about 8 cornets now, but only one orifice capable of playing one...
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missed it. If I had seen that, I'd probably have bitten on that. I have a 5A, but it's currently in the process of getting fixed up. Maybe I'll see it again, someday...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: