• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Difference between Curry 3 and 5 mouthpieces? (Purviance?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Difference between Curry 3 and 5 mouthpieces? (Purviance?) Reply with quote

I have a Curry 3C that gives a rich, full sound but it just feels too big. I have been playing a Purviance 5*K4, which I believe is roughly comparable to a Bach #5 diameter.

This Purviance, BTW, is customised to make it a little deeper.

If I go to a Curry 5C, will I sacrifice any of the tone quality I would otherwise get from a Curry 3C, the only difference being rim diameter? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I thought I might like the Curry 5 size better (this was before the 3 “dot”) and got a 5BC. It was a smaller diameter but ... it is also based on the Bach 5 rim which I did not like at all (high point is really close to the inner edge, if I recall).

That’s the only time I ventured into the Curry 5 size.

I can’t tell you anything about the sound, etc. because I couldn’t get past how much I disliked the rim. Maybe things are different now.

— Joe
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same impression of the Curry 3C. Sounded great but felt too big, I was also hoping to find something a tad smaller. I asked Mark if the Curry 5C had a similar rim and he said it was more like the Bach 5C, which doesn't work for me.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I love the Bach 5C style rim. That edge on the inside right before the cup is my favorite part, I feel like I can get good control and feedback with it. I was actually thinking the same Curry 5 rim is much more rounded but ya'll are right it's definitely that same style. If you try to get used to it, you might end up liking it!

You could also ask Curry to make a 3 rim in a 5 diameter, pretty sure he does that for a bit more money.

My other favorite rims are the Stork Vacchiano 4, which is just like the Bach 5C with a more aggressive drop towards the outside from the inner edge with more width, and the GR standard.
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curry 5C rim changed my life in better! I can't say if it's similar to a Bach 5 since i've nver tried the Bach, but the particular shape of the rim opened my sound and adds flexibility and resonance to sound. I was coming from a semi-flat rim (Curry #2) so i needed an adjustment period, but the increased volume and resonance was there from the first note. The #5 is just "an hair" smaller than the #3, if you need a smaller 3c i think a Curry 7C would be better. Don't be fooled by numbers: each Curry rim has his pecliarity, just find a store that has Curry and try them all!
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never liked the Bach 7C because of the rim, deferring to a Schilke 11 (actually model H), instead. Is the Curry 5C rim like or different than a Bach 7C?

(I've spent enough money so your verbal help means a lot to me. Thanks.)

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i have little to no experience with Bach pieces. I know the 7c because it came in many new trumpet cases and i've tried one from time to time. To my memory no one was the exact same as the other (Bach things) and the rim doesn't resemble at all the Curry #5.
Again, your best choice is to find a local store who has Curry and tried them all.
Of all the Curry models the ones that stands out for a more different rim are, imho, the #2 (semi-flat to flat) and the #5 (more rounded but less material on the outer part of the piece, with a nice "grip" to the lips). I haven't tried the smallest pieces, but from 1 to 7 the change in inner dimensions are not dramatic (i personally can change from a 1.5 to a 5 with no embouchure shock because of the inside diameter).
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I like a small vintage Bach 3C rim I don't get along with the rim of either the Bach 5C or Bach 7C. By contrast, I actually like the Yamaha 11B4 just fine on my picc but that size doesn't work for me on the Bb. FWIW I also like the feel of the Yamaha 14F4 for the flugel. And I have little trouble transitioning from my Bb to either my picc or flugel.

Given what's been said, if the Curry 7C feels any larger than the Bach 7C/Yamaha 11C4 then it could indeed be a better candidate over the Curry 5C for someone who prefers the Bach 3C rim feel. Food for thought.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: