• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Unusual Conn 6B configuration ? Frankenhorn or what ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CartersPop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Unusual Conn 6B configuration ? Frankenhorn or what ? Reply with quote

This eBay listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conn-6B-Elkhart-Victor-Professional-Trumpet-SN-L87842-GREAT-PLAYER/332810096388?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

is for a 6B trumpet with a serial number L87xxx which should put it into the "late" period 6B family post 1958 (sn lists out as 1968 on Conn Loyalist). But from the pictures it looks like a weird amalgamation of both early and late period build parts -- has the early period longer valve casing and bottom sprung valves, along with the nickel plated valve caps and does NOT have the Coprion leadpipe, but has the late period adjustable third valve slide and that undeniably late period serial number. Is this another case of parts built in one period being retasked/remarked and used to complete a later period horn? I cannot make the valve casing build jibe with the serial number clearly stamped into it in order to think it is a Frankenhorn instead.
Conn '27 22B New York Symphony Trum
White '25 King Liberty Silver Trum
JinYin '15 Marching Bb Fr Horn
Conn '35 New Wonder 80A Corn w/m
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a late-model 22B, not a 6B.
CartersPop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo Dale. Thanks. I would not have recognized it as a distant relative of my current 1927 22B with the nickel plated casing/slides and the bottom sprung configuration. Hence my confusion. I guess I assumed the ebay seller would have looked under the mouthpiece reciever for the model number before listing it as a 6B. Not in too bad condition allowing for lacquer wear, and I know I already enjoy my #1 bore original NYS 22B. Price seems a bit steep though.
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CartersPop wrote:
Bingo Dale. Thanks. I would not have recognized it as a distant relative of my current 1927 22B with the nickel plated casing/slides and the bottom sprung configuration. Hence my confusion. I guess I assumed the ebay seller would have looked under the mouthpiece reciever for the model number before listing it as a 6B. Not in too bad condition allowing for lacquer wear, and I know I already enjoy my #1 bore original NYS 22B. Price seems a bit steep though.

This thread reminded me about mine. I love that #1 bore. I got mine out and had a play on it this afternoon. So easy to play. I got mine because my wife spotted it at a local thrift store for $40. It took almost $200 to get it into shape. But for that money I have my favorite trumpet to play.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '29 NYS and '68 Victor. The 22B Victor is a good trumpet, but I like the 22B NYS better. BTW, the newer 22B Victors didn't have the model number stamped on the receiver.
CartersPop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I have a '29 NYS and '68 Victor. The 22B Victor is a good trumpet, but I like the 22B NYS better. BTW, the newer 22B Victors didn't have the model number stamped on the receiver.

Double bingo Dale. That explains the other thing that seemed queer about the seller not knowing what model it is.

I was looking hard at it because I like my 22B NYS so much I was thinking about picking up another not so pricey #1 bore horn for my boy to blow besides his cornets. Might not be the best school band horn though if they stick out as much as mine in a crowd. At home I have to practice mine in the walk in closet so all the clothes can soak up the bright sound because my wife does not like it so piercing. But I love it so I play toward the closed door so I can hear it reflect back to my own ears instead.
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: