• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looks like a 1932 Conn 8B Gustat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CartersPop

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Looks like a 1932 Conn 8B Gustat Reply with quote

I am not sure how rare or potentially valuable they might be, and I know that it is beyond my ability or interest in the way of a "project" horn, but it might be interesting to someone looking for what I think is a ca. 1932 first production year Conn 8B Gustat trumpet (or I guess potentially 9B) in pretty sad condition currently on goodwill's auction website:

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/57544319

It is one of the few trumpets with the Conn underslung third valve slide ring, it does not have a vocabell rimless bell, does not have the flipped 3rd valve slide/tuning slide insertion on the 3rd valve casing, and I see at least the mounts for a first valve slide trigger and rod although the rest of the trigger hardware is otherwise absent. Pretty beat up condition and looks like stuck valves and probably well frozen slides. But to someone it might be a rare diamond in the rough and worthy of salvage from the scrap heap. Or potentially a parts twin for someone who has a less wounded 8B. Unfortunately, for my tastes at least, it is in lacquer (I prefer silver horns when possible).
Conn '27 22B New York Symphony Trum
White '25 King Liberty Silver Trum
JinYin '15 Marching Bb Fr Horn
Conn '35 New Wonder 80A Corn w/m
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is a Conn 8B Grand Symphony Gustat, it is not a 2nd Gen 2B because the year is too early to be 2B and the 1st slide trigger is mounted onto the left of the 1st valve block casing instead of the right which was on the later Conn 2B.

I have one in original lacquer 1936, very unique playing horns, very even scale, I think it may have to do with something with the C17 alloy bell these horns have. They are also a bit heavier than the later 2Bs. The Conn 8B Gustats also have a double sleeved recieverless leadpipe which will take more time to rot out and also would be a headache to repair if the leadpipe has been bent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: