• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The little known but remarkable late Jim Kartchner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: The little known but remarkable late Jim Kartchner Reply with quote

Does anyone here know much of this man's history? According to the Kenton Anthology "Artistry In Rhythm" written by Bill Lee with Audree Coke Mr Kartchner was on the band during the early 1970's.

He had an enviable "chop problem". In as much as according to a third party account Stan Kenton kept him on the band only because he had fantastic high notes. A former lead player and fellow member of Kenton's same band by the name of Tom Baker referred to Kartchner as about the most "powerful double C player around".

And yet bandleader Kenton declared that Kartchner,

"Couldn't play a note below a high C"

Also according to Baker,

"Eventually through hard work and persistence Kartchner did eventually become a well rounded player".

Then he died. A sad tale. So as I said, does anyone know more about the short life of this remarkable fellow?

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: